Evening reception invitation wording

Hi

We've bought some generic invitations to send to guests we'd like to invite to the evening reception only. However, it's just occurred to me that the wording is "kindly join us for the wedding reception of [names] at [time]", and that people could still misunderstand which portion of the day they're invited to. Even if we put, say, 6:30pm, someone could think we're just having a late wedding, and that they're being invited to the whole day except the ceremony. What would you think if you received an invitation like this? Do you think I should get some that explicitly say "evening reception"?

Comments

• PrettyKittyKat
    PrettyKittyKat Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Personally I would put two and two together... however there are plenty of people that wouldn't.

Are you able to return the current invites for a refund? If you are I think that may be the best thing to do to save you a headache in the longrun
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    if you are invited to a reception at 6:30pm then that is the time most guests will turn up.
    Does it matter whether they think you got married at 10:30am of 4:30pm?
  • Jd843
    Jd843 Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Tom99 wrote: »
    if you are invited to a reception at 6:30pm then that is the time most guests will turn up.
    Does it matter whether they think you got married at 10:30am of 4:30pm?

I guess I just don't want people to open it up and initially think they're invited to the wedding breakfast onwards, then come to the realisation that they're not. I don't want any awkward conversations where I have to explain to people "you know you're only invited to the evening reception right?" :doh:
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You could always add in that it's the evening reception if you think people may misinterpret - we look forwards to seeing you at our evening reception, for example.
    Depends how many you need to write and whether it's easier just to swap them.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Fuzzy_Duck
    Fuzzy_Duck Posts: 1,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Personally I think it should be clear enough in its current format. I only had immediate family and the wedding party at our ceremony. Everyone else got an invitation stating they were invited to our wedding which was taking place at 6pm, and they were all aware they were coming to the evening do only.
  • welshbabe88
    welshbabe88 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    i'd get other invites that can specifically say eveninn party - as 'wedding reception' does sound to me like tis just after the ceremony.
  • Jd843
    Jd843 Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks all. We ended up keeping them, and I just kind of dropped it in while giving the invites out that they were for the evening do :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure