Engagement Ring Recommendation

Hi All,

I recently proposed to my partner and she is currently looking for an engagement ring. I don't have an insurmountable budget for this but I also don't want her to be disappointed. Where is a good place to look for engagement rings and can I get something good for around £1k or is this too low?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I've been looking at wedding rings direct for my wedding rings but they also offer engagement rings too.
    Think they offer a try before you buy service as well
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,784 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 15 February 2019 at 8:01PM
    You don't say where in the country you are, but Birmingham jewellery quarter is frequently recommended.

Second hand rings are often good value, but I can understand why some people want brand new.

Personally I wouldn't want something I'm gong to wear all the time to be too valuable as I'd be fearful of losing / damaging it, so I think £1k is plenty
  • I think £1,000 is plenty. I would suggest Birmingham Jewellery Quarter. Specifically Marlows I can personally recommend having got our wedding rings, engagement ring and later on an eternity ring from there. There are other places in the JQ that have larger diamonds for the same price but its all about the 3Cs! colour, clarity and carat!
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    You don't say where in the country you are, but Birmingham jewellery quarter is frequently recommended.

Second hand rings are often good value, but I can understand why some people want brand new.

Personally I wouldn't want something I'm gong to wear all the time to be too valuable as I'd be fearful of losing / damaging it, so I think £1k is plenty

I'm from Northern Ireland.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,656 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Is there a manufacturing jeweller in your area?

You may find it cheaper to have the ring specially made once your fiance knows what style/stone she wants.

If not, avoid the high street chains and check out local independent jewellers.
    Personally, I wouldn't turn my nose up at a 2nd hand ring if it was exactly what I wanted.

If she decides on a diamond, familiarise yourself with the 4 'C's.
    If you want to do more reading or actual stone comparisons, take a look at www.comparethediamond.com
    This was previously diamondgeezer.com.
    I saw the guy on Dragon’s Den many years ago.

To be clear, I'm not recommending this place, I've never bought from them.
    Their 'know your diamonds' information is clear and their stone comparison tool is pretty good.

Elise1912 missed out 'cut' which can mean 2 different things.
  • Trying antique shops may get you good value for money and also something a bit different.
  • Poppycat68
    Poppycat68 Posts: 19 Forumite
    My ring cost around that price and was from vashi - which I think provide good value for the money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure