Comments

• POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Signed and shared.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Parking at our local hospital is a nonsense. Blood tests - can be waiting 10 mins or a couple of hours; pre-op appointments a couple of hours or the best part of a day; ordinary consultations - well, we've all been there, half an hour or 3!

The problem is, in that car park you have to pre-pay. If the appointment takes longer than the minimum 2 hours that can be bought, they slap a ticket on the windscreen; if the appointment takes less than the 2 hours, well it's money for old rope.

They now charge Blue Badge holders for parking too - this is after (and I quote) "...having held discussions and consultation meetings with representatives and interested parties last year, it was felt that we should treat all visitors to the site in an even handed way."
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,156 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I am opposed to parking charges anywhere.

However, if the hospital car parks do charge, they should use a proper entry-exit system, like a lot of council and private ones do.
  • Mouse99
    Mouse99 Posts: 24 Forumite
    My partner was picking up drugs for an elderly patient with dementia (she is a community psychiatric nurse cpn) and was given a parking ticket in Lewisham hospital.

They are threatening legal action - is there any case for appeal?
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Mouse99 wrote: »
    My partner was picking up drugs for an elderly patient with dementia (she is a community psychiatric nurse cpn) and was given a parking ticket in Lewisham hospital.

They are threatening legal action - is there any case for appeal?

Not here please..!

Get yourself into the Parking Tickets Subform in Motoring and start by having a good read of the Newbies Sticky - Then post your own thread there. That will get you all the best help.
  • It is about time that the huge charges for patients, visitors and staff made by Private Companies in hospital car parks is abolished.
    Last week we took our granddaughter back to East Surrey Hospital (no shops within walking distance and a bus ride from the nearest town) in Redhill to return to her baby who was in the Intensive Care Unit. We took her up to the Ward and the duration of our visit was around 20 - 25 minutes. We had to pay £3.00 for up to 3 hours which I believe is extortionate! If they must charge then have an option of half an hour free or up to an hour band.
    These costs are unavoidable at most hospitals as there is usually nowhere else to park and worried people visiting very sick relatives are a 'captive audience'. A disgusting situation, preying on the distressed, the elderly, the vulnerable and even the staff who also are required to pay! Let's mount a nationwide revolt!!
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I don't agree that all charges should be abolished because, as others have pointed out, no parking charges means no parking spaces because non hospital visitors use them all. The teaching hospital I attended for major op/follow ups meant a lot of visits and it was always difficult to park. Close by to the hospital were a magistrates court, large police station, branch of the University and not too far from the shops.

It shouldn't be too difficult for the hospital to send out parking vouchers with outpatient/clinic appointment letters
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure