Free online storage services

Comments

• Dropbox is highly recommended. You might not get massive of space for free - but who need 50GB anyway, With Dropbox files are sync'd across all devices with Dropbox installed which is a far better feature.
  • Don't forget the ease/price of USB memory stick. A 64gb can be had for around £25 now, so if you have a lot of photo's then this might be worth considering. Photo's don't necesarily need to be secured, and if you have two always keep a spare in your work drawer/locker or at your relatives house?
  • Dropbox is highly recommended. You might not get massive of space for free - but who need 50GB anyway, With Dropbox files are sync'd across all devices with Dropbox installed which is a far better feature.

Dropbox also gives generous free extra space for linking phone/reccomending friends/tweeting etc - i'm up to 7gb now for free

If you have a samsung phone you get 50gb Dropbox for 2 years for free:j
  • If you are using cloud services to store or back up files, you could lose data if the site closes down (or is closed down), as when Megaupload was shut down by US prosecutors earlier this year (see http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/16838342).

Also, if the site has data problems, customers can lose data, as with the high profile case of Amazon in April last year.
  • lowlylittlecog
    lowlylittlecog Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 5 September 2012 at 2:55PM
    ogwen wrote: »
    Don't forget the ease/price of USB memory stick. A 64gb can be had for around £25 now, so if you have a lot of photo's then this might be worth considering. Photo's don't necesarily need to be secured, and if you have two always keep a spare in your work drawer/locker or at your relatives house?
    Might be worth saying that no backup solution is perfect and USB sticks (and external hard drives, DVDs, CDs, memory cards etc) can fail. When they fail there is often little chance of data recovery. If you use a stick, there is no harm in reducing your chances of catastrophic data loss to virtually zero by also backing up to an online provider.

Conversely, having a stick covers you in the event of situations like Megaupload and Amazon described by rob 2512 above.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
  • hansonaj wrote: »
    I would strongly recommend SugarSync, and it does as it says, syncs your files rather than you having to remember to perform a backup!

I would second that. I actually pay the $50 per annum for a 30GB selection of my work folders, as the sync approach makes sense for me.

I also use Dropbox - the free allowance - for any joint projects, where I only share some of the related files.

YMMV, as you know :-)

Greetings from sunny Lake District,
    TC
  • There is also JustCloud which has an option for unlimited storage for around $6.95 pm. It has all the usual backup/mobile/sharing fetures...

Cost Plans (www[dot]justcloud[dot]com/help-center/question/128/how-much-does-justcloud-cost)

Here is also a secret link to save you 35%!! (www[dot]justcloud[dot]com/secret-link)
  • I'd like to back up my USB key online but i have loads of folders within folders on it. I've tried Sky Drive but they only upload one folder at a time. Does anyone know of any free services that will allow me to upload the whole directory in one go?
  • rob_2512 wrote: »
    If you are using cloud services to store or back up files, you could lose data if the site closes down (or is closed down), as when Megaupload was shut down by US prosecutors earlier this year (see http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/16838342).

Also, if the site has data problems, customers can lose data, as with the high profile case of Amazon in April last year.

Excellent point Rob and it's worth noting these services potentially aren't worth using for commercial purposes as they don't offer a Service Level Agreement for your data if anything goes wrong.

Also, there are no guarantees as to where your data is being stored, so other unseen factors may mean you have no access for your data.

For photos, why not use Facebook? Never seen any mentions on storage limits, although uploading can be annoying at times.

That being said, I use Dropbox across my work and home laptops, my iPad and Android tablet and very happy.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    10GB for free here:

http://minus.com/

with the opportunity to increase that to 50GB.
    Stompa
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport