Dyslexic -,didn't get job due to spelling

Comments

• Shaznay1
    Shaznay1 Posts: 8
    First Post
    Forumite
    Actually...the disability part being missed out?! Wait a minute it really doesn't make sense to be rejected when nothing's misspelt! !!!55357;!!!56853;
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Using a PC means I don't transpose and I always have another window open so I can check the spelling or make sure I am actually using the right word

Really? I transpose like !!!! when I use a computer. Fortunatly I can check it before sending.

Also if I hand write people can't read it. Including me a lot of the time.

Still, different for everyone I suppose.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Forumite
    edited 17 April 2018 at 8:19PM
    Several things about this query just don't add up... I smell fish.

Firstly, HR teams for 'government jobs' rarely give any feedback on first stage application processes so I am really surprised they would mention 'spelling' as the cause of any rejection.

Secondly, the sift teams do not actually see the disability declaration.

The above points aside, some roles will require absolute accuracy and would not ever be suitable for someone with dyslexia. Roles that require observational records of, say, registration numbers, names or DOBs. It is sometimes just not practical to make reasonable adjustments.

Those of us with disabilities (and I am one of them) have to be realistic and accept that some roles will never be suitable for us. That's life. Move on.

I think you're right. It doesn't add up. I've been an internal applicant with friends in HR and I've not had the level of detail the OP's had. Makes me wonder whether we're all wasting our time.:(
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hmmn.

What grade were you applying for, and what stage of the application process was it? Did you take a situational judgment test, or was this marked on written competency examples?

Are you saying you've spoken to someone in HR at 9pm at night? You couldn't find a number for them an hour earlier.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Several things about this query just don't add up... I smell fish.

Firstly, HR teams for 'government jobs' rarely give any feedback on first stage application processes so I am really surprised they would mention 'spelling' as the cause of any rejection.

I got feedback on the first stage of the application process when I applied for a role with the government....

They rated my 3 written competencies 4 or above.

Didn't need to follow it up mind you, so not sure how responsive they would have been, but I can sort of imagine them being more engaging with people who declare themselves as disabled. They were lovely in stage 2 and gave more detailed feedback.

That being said, I can't see them putting feedback as "spelling" but maybe something more in-depth which OP has construed as that. For example, in OP's post they have misused the word "their", also "maybe" instead of "may be" and using "i" instead of "I" - All of them being more grammatical mistakes rather than spelling. A lot of that stuff can slip through the net with spell checkers etc.
    I took a copy of the application and suffice to say there were no spelling errors in it. (Its been double checked)

This bit from OP is interesting!

Who the hell checked it if the feedback given was "spelling" issues?! OP, you need to consider using someone else to help you write job applications. Whoever you asked clearly hasn't done a good job in double checking it....
    Secondly, the sift teams do not actually see the disability declaration.

Fair enough like, but how does it work then? I only ask because I do actually think that someone should be looking at this (dyslexia) and factoring it in to some extent to sort of give OP some limited benefit of the doubt (ie overlooking the odd misuse of the word "their" etc).
    The above points aside, some roles will require absolute accuracy and would not ever be suitable for someone with dyslexia. Roles that require observational records of, say, registration numbers, names or DOBs. It is sometimes just not practical to make reasonable adjustments.

I agree. OP, was this the case?
    Those of us with disabilities (and I am one of them) have to be realistic and accept that some roles will never be suitable for us. That's life. Move on.

:T
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Really? I transpose like !!!! when I use a computer. Fortunatly I can check it before sending.

Also if I hand write people can't read it. Including me a lot of the time.

Still, different for everyone I suppose.

But Ive learned where all the keys are on the keyboard so my fingers find the keys as I speak and spell the words in my head
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I am dyslexic too. I use spellcheck constantly.
  • Given that the OP has managed to speak to someone in HR at 9pm AND they were happy to discuss her application AND they were positive I am wagering that the next update will be an interview, a job offer and £100 in crisp £10 notes as compensation for the distress their rejection caused. ;)
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    suki1964 wrote: »
    But Ive learned where all the keys are on the keyboard so my fingers find the keys as I speak and spell the words in my head

Guess it depends how you are dyslexic.

Beyond the illegible handwriting, I do the same mistakes on a computer as I do by hand. Because they are both composed in my head the same way. Doubling words because I got a word ahead in my mind etc.

Nothing to do with knowing where the keys are!
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Perhaps it was being sloppy and not using spell check that didn!!!8217;t paint you in a good light? So not making the mistakes, but failing to take steps to correct them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure