PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018

Happy New Year and welcome to the 2018 Make do, Mend and Minimise thread :D

I love reading everyone's frugal tales and inventive ways of making do and can't wait to see what 2018 brings.
Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10542.72/£15000 (70.3% saved). Emergency fund - £1402.24/£1500 (93.5% saved).

Comments

• misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hello MMMers - wishing you all a happy, healthy and prosperous new year :D

Trying to start the new year as I mean to go on so today I've made sausage rolls using some YS sausages and used up the last of some hm cranberry sauce in them. Very yummy :)

Meal plan has been done for the week
    Today - steak, chips and veg (our new year treat)
    Tomorrow - sausage roll, mash and beans
    Wed - beef stew (from freezer)
    Thurs - veg frittata
    Fri - chicken curry (from freezer)
    Sat - pad thai with duck
    Sun - sausage casserole (have quite a few YS sausages to use up)

There's some parsnips in the fridge that need used up so I'm going to try to make some parsnip soup which I will then use for lunches. In the freezer, there's a portion of lentil soup and 2 portions of pea and ham soup to be used. I bought a heap of YS rolls fairly recently so they can be used up for lunches along with the soup. The freezer needs defrosted so I really need to use up all the YS items in there.

OH bought me some new kitchen scales for Christmas to replace the ones I've had for years. They still work fine so have started a CS bag which I will hand in once it's full.

I've minimised the ironing pile today and also done a couple of loads of washing. Plan for the rest of the evening is to organise myself for going back to work tomorrow and then relax with a book. But first food :D
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10542.72/£15000 (70.3% saved). Emergency fund - £1402.24/£1500 (93.5% saved).
  • amber03
    amber03 Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    yeah was hoping for a 2018 blog, found it and subscribed. Sorted out cupboards, freezer and fridge . Have enough food to use before I need to shop. Going to sort dvd's and sell as many as possible with the money going into my EF. Sort out all rooms and minimise as much as possible. This should help with my Simpler Life plan.xx
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.00
  • Misstara,
    Currently posting on A simpler Life 2018 thread so will alternate between there & here.

I am trying to declutter & DH is decorating, as the end of April will see my DSis moving in for an unspecified amount of time.
    I am also making use of Larder & fridge/freezer contents with minimal shopping trips. So far, touch wood, have not made anything inedible! Yippee - I hate wasting food.
    Also, clothes repaired once clean & then put away or cs’d/ragged.
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • IrisViolet
    IrisViolet Posts: 110 Forumite
    Yay glad for a 2018 thread!
    Been reading all through 2017 but not posting hardly . Really going to try and post more this year.
    Also going for a Simple life this year. Make do , mend and minimise is such a huge part of that. I'm trying to reduce our families waste also.
    I've been busy making do with the food we have in and shopping much less. I'm really bad for shopping every few days but I'm determined to shop once a week now. I stopped on the 23rd and then didn't shop again until the 29th. I've spent a lot less and should be fine until the 5th/6th.

Been mending clothese. A few stitchesand they are fine. Mostly it's kids clothes with a tiny rip but seems so wasteful to chuck out and buy something new.

Got four big bags fo4mr the charity shop. I hate clutter. I feel like I may finally be in a happy place with my house being minimal. It could b3 better but with 6 of us here there is only so much I can do!
  • dND
    dND Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Another year begins :D

I had a good rummage in the bottom of the store cupboard and found yet more dried beans so bean soup is on the agenda today. So that should cover Make Do and Minimize.

No Mend as yet unless you count picking through and seperating out 25Kg of dried cat food. I bought 15Kg of a new food which I thought friends had said their cats loved. They had actually said the opposite and my cats hated it too - even after leaving it down for a fortnight.

Well, thought I, I'll mix in 10Kg of the more expensive (Royal Canin) food they usually eat. That usually works, but not this time :(:(

So piece by piece I'm picking out the Royal Canin, which thankfully is a different shape to the stuff they detest (and makes them ill). It should keep me out of mischief for the next month :rotfl:
    2023 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 1🏅+ 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    2024 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 🏅💐⭐️
    2024 FASHION ON THE RATION 9/66coupons
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Thank you for the new thread, a very happy new year to everyone.
    I'm hoping to meal plan better this year and to make use of more rtc (yellow sticker) items.
    My crafting stash is getting out of hand so goal is to minimise that by making items I can use as gifts or donate to good causes. I currently have a crochet blanket im working on using two strands of DK at the same time this will be donated to a local group that support the homeless
    Thee ae a couple of things on my mending pile, DHs sweat shirt that needs cuff welts repairing and a bag DS2 overloaded and broke the strap on.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • I've been a long-time lurker on this thread so joining in this shiny new year.

Make-do - with whatever food we have in, mainly because I have flu, so won't be going out shopping til at least Friday. Lots of soup in freezer.

Mend -I've mended a few little ? moth holes in OHs woollen jumper, which shrank a bit in the wash and now fits me nicely. So cosy in this miserable weather.

Minimising - gradually accumulating a few bags from wardrobe to take to CS on Friday. Will be minimising some leftover Veges into the soup. And all the Christmas holly has gone this morning in the rubbish collection.

So all set for a happy, less cluttered 2018 :T
    Happy New Year to all MMMers
  • Happy New Year to everyone and here's to a new MMM year.
    I've been making do with Christmas leftovers and have frozen all the turkey and made a few curries which will be used up over the next few weeks.
    Minimising -
    * I met an old teaching colleague for coffee and she has agreed to take a lot of the text/theory books I used to use. That should clear at least one of the shelves on my bookshelves.
    * I have a bit of a wool stash which needs minimising, so one of my New Year's resolutions is to 'knit while I watch'. Another is to use my stash to make presents for friends and family for next Christmas. One of the trials of Christmas is knowing what to buy people and this will help solve the problem.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    Tilly Tidying:
  • dND - what a palaver! They can be soooo fussy. My DSis has two and they often eat better than she does or at least it seems like that.
    Wishing you success and maybe you can find someone local who could take it off your hands?

Mrs SD:)
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Good start to my MMM for 2018. The flow cartridge in my Triton shower bar started to leak very badly over the past few weeks. That leak went from a constant drip to a genuine stream of water that was permanently running through.

Rather than buying the replacement part for £24.99, I took the advice of a family member who suggested that sometimes they just need descaling. I soaked the cartridge in Oust coffee descaler (almost neat), for around 12 hours, occasionally returning to open and close the valve. You could hear it getting cleaner each time I did it.

Result. No drips whatsoever now. £24.99 saved. :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport