Virgin Media in new home but want cheaper provider

Options
Hi guys,

I've just moved into a new build flat that has come wired with a Master Virgin Outlet that they say is ready to be connected; I just need to call Virgin to sort my package etc.

However, all of Virgin's broadbands are more expensive than I want to pay (the cheapest I could find is £27). Am I able to get a different broadband (Talktalk, BT, Vodafone) and just have a router thing and ignore the Virgin stuff they've wired up?

I'm a complete donut when it comes to anything electrical or internet so any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 May 2018 at 5:23PM
    Options
    If the developer of the flats did some sort of exclusive deal with Virgin, you could find that other providers that use Openreach infrastructure have been effectively locked out...you may need to check with the developer if this is the case.

On new build flats , normally the phone services enter into a common utility's type area, and then the developer provides the wiring into the individual flats/apartments, if Openreach were never allowed to put a cable into the common services / utility area when the flats were built, then it would be difficult retrospectively to provide OR type service...if the apartment block were built on a vacant plot in an established area , and the flat isn't 100's of feet above ground, then it possibly could be served from a telegraph pole, but it looks terrible flying a drop wire onto a flat within a new build modern apartment block, even if it's possible
  • tattootrooper
    Options
    Oh ok thanks. It is a small block of flats in a well-established area. I'm not getting a landline phone as I will just use my mobile. But I'll call them up and check if they are locking out any other router providers.

Thank you!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Let us know the response.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm not getting a landline phone as I will just use my mobile.
    I think you'll find broadband only deals are expensive compared with packaged service bundles. You might be wise to have broadband combined with landline even if you never connect a phone to the network...
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Am I able to get a different broadband (Talktalk, BT, Vodafone) and just have a router thing and ignore the Virgin stuff they've wired up?
    For all of those you will need a traditional "BT" phone line to your property, because the broadband comes down the phone line.

You do not have to have a voice service on the line but to "not have a landline" (phone) you'll need to find a provider that will do you broadband without a voice service over the line - I think Vodafone will. Even so, however they present the bill there will be a line rental element contained within it (whether explicitly stated or included within something else) as they have to rent the line wholesale.

Only BT have a universal service obligation, so if the others won't install that might restrict your choices somewhat.

If you're in Hull, the situation is different.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure