cdkeys. beware!

Comments

• BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Wish I had known that last night DCFC !! -
    CDKeys have come up trumps and send us a new code this morning and are 'investigating' the redeemed code I was sent yesterday.
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • Your issues are quite alarming guys! I always want to try CdKeys but this thread leads me to.... still going to do more research about it. Hope you can clear things out more.
  • BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Foraced - yes I was given a code that had already been redeemed - but they have sorted it out for me within 24 hours - so probably cant complain.
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I!!!8217;ve used them without issue. The driving license newspaper thing is to determine you!!!8217;re a real person with the ability to produce your original ID on a given day, not a hacked account buying a fake key.

It!!!8217;s alarming being asked but considering how much scammers try and rip them off it!!!8217;s the only thing they can do. They can!!!8217;t test the codes before they!!!8217;re sold.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've used them dozens of times since around 2013 and never had any issues.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • danze
    danze Posts: 22 Forumite
    They're cheap but not always legal, you take a risk buying from grey market sites like cdkeys as potentially the keys are originally purchased for sale on the site with stolen credit card information.
    Debt free journey (Started Feb 2018)
    124,857.98 / 136,325.55
  • unholyangel
    danze wrote: »
    They're cheap but not always legal, you take a risk buying from grey market sites like cdkeys as potentially the keys are originally purchased for sale on the site with stolen credit card information.

That was true for places like G2A or kinguin. But I have never heard of anyone having something they purchased on cdkeys being revoked months/years later for being purchased with stolen card details. I checked them out at great length before purchasing because I didn't want the risk of that happening.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • barmonkey
    barmonkey Posts: 7,159 Forumite

Complete and utter b0ll0ck5
    WWSD
    (what would Scooby Doo)
  • danze
    danze Posts: 22 Forumite
    While it may not be true for cdkeys - almost all cheap cdkey website source some of their keys from people who obtained them through fraud - I'm not saying they'll steal your card details and I'm not saying the keys will stop working (although it's certainly possible).

I AM saying is you're potentially supporting credit card fraud, future region-locking and/or taking money away from unlucky cardholders/developers.

Cdkeys.com are not an official reseller - as in they have no deals with publishers to sell digital versions of the software. It's up to you where you chose to purchase from and as far as I'm concerned you're not doing anything wrong - but people need to know the truth about where the savings come from.
    Debt free journey (Started Feb 2018)
    124,857.98 / 136,325.55
  • unholyangel
    While it may not be true for cdkeys - almost all cheap cdkey website source some of their keys from people who obtained them through fraud - I'm not saying they'll steal your card details and I'm not saying the keys will stop working (although it's certainly possible).

I AM saying is you're potentially supporting credit card fraud, future region-locking and/or taking money away from unlucky cardholders/developers.

Cdkeys.com are not an official reseller - as in they have no deals with publishers to sell digital versions of the software. It's up to you where you chose to purchase from and as far as I'm concerned you're not doing anything wrong - but people need to know the truth about where the savings come from.

How can people know the truth when you don't know it yourself?

Cdkeys bulk buys keys in different currencies - thats how they manage to offer savings, nothing to do with using stolen credit cards. Same as you can go to various different country versions of microsofts website and get games much cheaper than you would from microsofts UK store.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure