Sky and loyalty

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've just been on the online chat with Sky - for 45 minutes!

I only really watch the free-to-air channels these days but I do like the Sky+ functions so I have been considering getting a Freesat+ box for a while. But each year I have been ringing up Sky and getting offered half price deals so for convenience I have stuck with them.

My current 50% deal is coming to an end so I just used the online chat to haggle. I made it clear at the beginning that I wanted a 50% discount and they told me no and offered me 10% instead. I declined. Then I was offered 15% and I declined again. Eventually I was offered 50% IF I signed up to a new minimum term of 18 months. That was okay with me as it gives me longer before I have to deal with this all again BUT they wanted to charge me a £10 admin fee to 'unlock' this offer! I said that was cheeky and that I'd like to continue with the cancellation. Then they decided to waive the admin charge. All this took over 45 minutes. I went in making it clear what I wanted so why did it take so long to get it? Ugh.

Anyway, all's well and I would recommend all Sky customers to do the same. It is probably quicker on the phone though if you are confident enough to do that. In fact, my mum planned to do that and didn't even have to speak to anyone! An automated message asked if she'd accept 50% discount, she said yes and that was it. Wishing that is what I'd done now!

I tend to watch mainly the free channels, so cancelled my Sky and let it go off, at the end of a 50% off deal.

We have two Freeview boxes and a smart tv, so I was happy to stay away, but was lured back by 75% off with a £100 credit (found on My Sky, after a member pointed out the offer),paying on average ,under £6/month for Boxed Sets and Cinema.

They are very unlikely to offer this next time and I'm finding very few films to my taste, so come October, it is likely to be back to Freetime and the Freeview recorder.
  • teddysmum wrote: »
    I tend to watch mainly the free channels, so cancelled my Sky and let it go off, at the end of a 50% off deal.

We have two Freeview boxes and a smart tv, so I was happy to stay away, but was lured back by 75% off with a £100 credit (found on My Sky, after a member pointed out the offer),paying on average ,under £6/month for Boxed Sets and Cinema.

They are very unlikely to offer this next time and I'm finding very few films to my taste, so come October, it is likely to be back to Freetime and the Freeview recorder.

I'm wondering now whether to call them to say I've changed my mind and see what happens...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm wondering now whether to call them to say I've changed my mind and see what happens...
    If you've already agreed to the minimum 18 month contract then I believe there is no cooling off period for existing customers.

Edit: That said, they will inevitably raise their prices at some point giving you a new bargaining point.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    edited 23 March 2017 at 3:19PM
    If you've already agreed to the minimum 18 month contract then I believe there is no cooling off period for existing customers.

I thought that was the case, but a few, in recent months, have claimed to be allowed a cooling off period after accepting a re-contract.

However,this could be similar to the false offers of being able to negotiate after 10 months when the offer ends on a 12 month contract, but people finding that they can't negotiate (as one would expect the case to be).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    teddysmum wrote: »
    I thought that was the case, but a few, in recent months, have claimed to be allowed a cooling off period after accepting a re-contract.

However,this could be similar to the false offers of being able to negotiate after 10 months when the offer ends on a 12 month contract, but people finding that they can't negotiate (as one would expect the case to be).
    Oh, they can negotiate after the 10 months is up, they just won't get any sort of offer that anyone should accept.
  • teddysmum wrote: »

Pretty sure I do have a cooling-off period according to what I was told and the confusing Ts & Cs I was sent. However, I think I'd be pushing my luck and if I get offered nothing and then try and 'un-cancel' I might not be offered the 50% discount again.
  • mouse10
    mouse10 Posts: 92 Forumite
    I cancelled a couple of months ago and have signed up today for the box set HD package. After a bit of negotiation I got 75% off making it £9.50 a month and £100 credit on a 12 month contract. Makes it £14 for a year which my sort of price!
    They offered me the original package on a rolling monthly contract, 60% off and £57 credit, making it 6 months free.
    When I tried in January I was told they had stopped doing credits, so things must have changed.
  • SCO
    SCO Posts: 729 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    stockton wrote: »
    Yup! Just checked and I got the same offer. 60% off, (keeping existing package) with a new 12 month contract. That is £20 a month for Original plus all Sky Sports channels.

I am going for it.

Thanks for that, Ossie.

I have no offers is this normal
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    SCO wrote: »

Different strokes for different folks. As well as the website and the box, check the Sky app as well. Even if that fails, try calling up or live chat. The first time I got a discount with Sky there were no offers showing for me.
  • Korkyb
    Korkyb Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 4 May 2017 at 2:09AM
    SCO wrote: »

Have you contacted them & asked to cancel your contract?

Generally it is during the "months notice period" that they make any offers.
    Was it really "everybody" that was Kung Fu fighting ???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure