PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete

Options

Comments

• coollittlew
    Options
    I am new here so just catching up on some of your stories and looking to gain as much advice as possible before purchasing a new build. We have seen the house that we love on a Taylor Whimpey and visited the show room a couple of times. Currently we are waiting for the plot we like to be released so we can reserve it and start the whole process. Currently the ground floor is complete so we except it to be released some time in November for completion April/May.

We have an existing house so we are looking to use the easy mover scheme that TW offer. I am confident our house will sell quickly at a reasonable price. Has anyone else used this?

Also I would be interested in trying to do some negotiation for extras/stamp duty paid/legals paid/anything I can get. I noticed a few of you have said you managed to get some good deals negotiated. How did you approach this? Was it when you went to reserve the plot? Any tips you have would be great!

Looking forward to starting this journey with you all!
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am new here so just catching up on some of your stories and looking to gain as much advice as possible before purchasing a new build. We have seen the house that we love on a Taylor Whimpey and visited the show room a couple of times. Currently we are waiting for the plot we like to be released so we can reserve it and start the whole process. Currently the ground floor is complete so we except it to be released some time in November for completion April/May.

We have an existing house so we are looking to use the easy mover scheme that TW offer. I am confident our house will sell quickly at a reasonable price. Has anyone else used this?

Also I would be interested in trying to do some negotiation for extras/stamp duty paid/legals paid/anything I can get. I noticed a few of you have said you managed to get some good deals negotiated. How did you approach this? Was it when you went to reserve the plot? Any tips you have would be great!

Looking forward to starting this journey with you all!

You have time - get your house o the market yourself and get it sold - the problem you have with the easy mover is that its not guaranteed and it basically wipes out nearly all grounds for 'deals' on extras.
  • mleach101
    Options
    Hi all,
    Is everyone having an independent snagging survey done? I was intending to because from what I've read online it seemed like a good move. But I've rang a few surveying companies who have kindly advised me against instead of just booking it and taking my money.
    They seem to be saying that the NHBC will do their own report which the builders have to act upon and that unless I have a specific issue that the builders aren't rectifying I shouldn't need any survey done?
    I obviously don't want to waste money having a snagging survey done unless it's necessary and worthwhile but I also don't want to regret not having one done further down the line.
    What does everyone think?
    Laura

I did, it was about £500 but worth every penny. I've posted further up but more below:

There weren't any major issues found but it was worth the peace of mind to have it in writing. They were extremely efficient, performing a 3 hour inspection and generating the report within a few days. The sales rep and the site manager from Barratt Homes both attended as well so if nothing else it encouraged them to pay closer attention to the house after completion (though having dealt with both of them I think they are exemplary, so service would be good anyway). Still a few things to chase up but things at work have been distracting me the last few weeks since I moved in.

Interesting that you were discouraged by the surveyors. I would say that yes, NHBC will do an inspection but they're only interested in what is covered by the warranty which is the big things like the structure itself but won't necessarily look at the cosmetics to the extent a surveryor working for you will. I'd contact a dedicated company like New Build Inspections (full disclosure - that's who I used) and talk to them, they'll explain the process and send you a sample report to give you an idea of what you get for your money all with no obligation.
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Went and had a look last night, front door is now on! Just one small side window that runs the height of the door to go on and it will be completely weather proof :)

The garden wall is almost finished and we have a garden path to the front door now too.

Still on for sign off on the 11th November and if so, we'll be in 5 weeks today!
  • swishy87
    swishy87 Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    Hello to all the new people that have joined!

We’re definitely on for completion next Friday! We have our home tour on Monday (fingers crossed that there’s nothing too major to pick up on!).

I feel like I’ve done as much as I can in preparation – I’ve let our water supplier know, council tax, electoral register, mail redirection, ordered new wheelie bins ready and transferred the TV licence. I’ve also paid the solicitor and paid the removal company.

Now just to finish packing! Been drowning in a pile of shredding as we get rid of lots of stuff! Still feel like we’re upside down and a long way off though!

I know that the solicitor has requested money for the day before from our mortgage provider, our removal company are coming at around 8ish to start loading up, so I’m really hoping we complete well before midday and can be on our way!

Starting to feel a little bit emotional about leaving our house now though (and not looking forward to having less money available each month!)
  • mleach101
    Options
    swishy87 wrote: »
    Still feel like we’re upside down and a long way off though!

Get used to that feeling, it sticks around for a while, but once you complete you'll get a great buzz to go along with it!
  • swishy87
    swishy87 Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    I'm determined it won't be like when we moved into this house with boxes everywhere for ages! I can't live like that!
  • xzeeex
    xzeeex Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

I've just joined, and been reading all your stories so far! I'm currently waiting for my new build to be finished ... it has been such a nightmare so far. I have already exchanged contracts etc.
    It was originally due to be finished in August this year, and it has dragged on and on, and they are now aiming for completion just before christmas ... but I don't have much faith in this!
    I am buying a top floor flat (4th floor), there are 12 flats in the block. They have finished building and the roof structure is on, it hasn't been tiled yet though. All windows/juliet doors are fitted, except for the top floor (I presume they're waiting until the roof is complete). From what I can see, they have done a lot of the internal work already on floors 1 & 2 as well.
    Am I right in thinking that a completion date of 23rd December is very unlikely considering there is still a lot to do?
    The sales office just keep fobbing me off with a standard response and saying it's common to have delays of 6 - 12 months on new builds.
    It is incredibly frustrating, I'm sure some of you can relate to this?
  • Jon_B_2
    Jon_B_2 Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Not knowing who your developer is, but looking back through my emails with Bovis, our roof was put on exactly two months before we completed. So not unlikely - that said, ours is a house not a flat.
  • xzeeex
    xzeeex Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Jon_B wrote: »
    Not knowing who your developer is, but looking back through my emails with Bovis, our roof was put on exactly two months before we completed. So not unlikely - that said, ours is a house not a flat.

Hi Jon B,

Thanks for the reply. It's Taylor Wimpey. Oh then perhaps they will do it just in time, I just don't have a lot of faith at the moment as they've pushed the date back so many times. I was expecting some delays, perhaps a month or 2, but was really hoping to be moved in by Christmas.
    I live on the same development at the moment, about 3 doors down from where the flats are being built, so I can see it every single day and see what progress they are making. On the outside it doesn't look like a lot is happening which is quite frustrating, but I can't really see what's happening inside so it might be that they have been cracking on with it internally.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure