Get a grip !

Comments

• Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 January 2018 at 7:08AM
    Morning all Happy New Year ! I'm afraid I was in bed by 10.30 I vaguely heard cheering and fireworks at some point then was woken by the dog at 4.30. Anyway not doing much today relaxing and dinner this afternoon. DS home from work in about an hour so we will have breakfast together before he goes to bed.

Have a good day and a great moneysaving 2018 !!!!
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Happy New Year!

DD and I stayed up, albeit snuggled up in my bed, watching stuff on our laptops, then closed one lid to watch the fireworks :) We had loads going on outside the house as well, which the dog was incensed by, which was one of the reasons we were hidden away upstairs...
  • Well folks its the 2nd of January so here's my monthly review of the highlights for December

- saved £100 into annual bills account
    - saved £50 into birthdays / xmas account
    - paid £310 off 0% credit card
    - switched gas and electric to a cheaper tariff as my fix was ending & will get £30 cash back after 3 months
    - old gas & electric account is £43.83 in credit just waiting for refund

- puppy was spayed using 50% off voucher
    - donated pet carriers to local animal charity - they were sent in error by amaxon who told us to keep them so we had 3 to donate

- posted xmas cards in time to use 2nd class stamps instead of 1st
    - got lots of bargains on offer for DS stocking
    - got lots of veg on xmas offers

- got a full refund on awful xmas meat £12 from Tesco & £10 compensation voucher

- HbA1c reduced :j
    - took advantage of the McD £1.99 big mac and fries offer
    - returned clothes that didn't fit to George for refund onto credit card
    - had a lovely 3 course meal out at zizzy with friends on 23rd and total spend including drinks and transport £30
    - got a mini Christmas tree in wilko £6 in sale after reading weekly email :money:

- Had 2 weeks of work ... its Chrissmas :xmastree:
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Well it was back at work today. Feeling better after a relaxing day yesterday. We had a lovely roast dinner with Aldi shoulder of lamb I had bought on offer and put in freezer, it was a much better dinner than xmas days disaster ! My cough has almost gone and work went quickly enough. I went to aldi on my way home for some food and cleaning bits, bleach dishwasher tablets etc. total spend £47.00 then called into co-op and got 6 pack pepsi max on offer £2 and xmas cards on offer 75p for next year !

I need to get back on track with recording my spending this month as I want to pay off my 0% credit card as soon as possible. I have used it to buy Christmas presents and do work on the house so I need to transfer money from my savings accounts to cover most of this and then pay off the rest before the 0% ends. It was planned spending but I still don't like having a balance so high to pay off !

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Yum to the roast! Well done on bargains in the Coop. A tree for £6 and low price cards that's great! It's great that you know you will pay the 0% credit card off. I will pay off this month's card and next months even if I have to live on beans and toast.

All in all it's been a good start to the year.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    Glad your return to work has been good :)
  • Well the first day back was good. Today was a struggle and I'm having an anxiety attack at the moment about tomorrow. I wish I had just phoned in sick :( So my news years resolution is to start searching for another job.

Puppy was almost out of food today so I used a voucher to get £3 off and they actually gave me £4 off ! I also went to morresons and got a cauliflower, double cream and a bag of 4 jacket potatoes and 2 packs of curry noodles total cost £2.99. I had a bag of noodles for lunch with the last of the leftover lamb from ny day. Tonight we had leftover gammon with jacket potato and cauli cheese. I cheat with cheese sauce and just melt cheese into double cream ;) no lumps !! :)

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Please take it easy and be kind to yourself. Speak to the GP about counselling to help cope with eejits at work. Have a good night. Focus on the good things and take work a day at a time. When you get home do nice things.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Skint_yet_Again
    edited 6 January 2018 at 8:01AM
    I have finally got round to working out my budget for January and I should have £100 left over to pay onto my 0% credit card.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet
    Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 1092.84
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 300 DS food & half bills
    Total monthly income.................... 1392.84

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 211.8
    Council tax............................. 134
    Electricity............................. 0
    Gas..................................... 69.5 & electric
    Water rates............................. 44.23
    Telephone (land line)................... 36.49 internet & tv package
    Mobile phone............................ 7.55
    TV Licence.............................. 12.12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 320
    Clothing................................ 0
    Petrol/diesel........................... 40
    Road tax................................ 0
    Car Insurance........................... 0
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 28.04
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 50
    Haircuts................................ 0
    Entertainment........................... 50
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    annual bills............................ 100
    union fees.............................. 15.68
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1119.41

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Mortgage...................... 30000....(211.8)....0
    Total secured & HP debts...... 30000.....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    car loan.......................0.........160.......0
    Total unsecured debts..........0.........160.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 1,392.84
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,119.41
    Available for debt repayments........... 273.43
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 160
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 113.43

Created using the SOA calculator at www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

Annual bills covers car tax, house insurance, car insurance, line rental saver, hair cuts, and anything else is used as an emergency fund for household repairs or replacement white goods etc

Living off savings diary
  • Skint_yet_Again
    edited 6 January 2018 at 8:22AM
    I've just worked out my budget for the month and my SOA is on the previous page. Its going to be tight this month and I must not overspend on my entertainment budget or use my credit card !!

Its been an awful week, returning to work and the weather high winds and pouring rain. I am so glad its the weekend. We had a pizza last night using at voucher code so saved 40% and the money will come off my entertainment budget. It was nice not having to cook and there is lots left over for lunch today. I spent most of the evening snoozing :o

Puppy behaviour has been up and down but mostly up. The behaviourist phoned me on Thursday to see how I was getting on and give more support which is great. She made some more suggestions so I will be trying those out too. I never realised it could be so complicated having a dog ! Puppy has had her breakfast and played this morning and is now back in bed till 9am. I can hear her snoring downstairs lol

Plans for today, clean kitchen, mop kitchen floor, freshen & hoover puppy room ... I will use baking powder on carpets to get rid of nasty niffs still using the big tub I bought in the range for £1 & hopefully wash the throws on the sofa if the weather is dry to get them out on the line to dry. I also need to do some batch cooking and I have some beef mince so I will make a chilli and a pasta bake.

I took down the Christmas decs last night as it was 12th night and I was too tired to do it earlier in the week :o , it only took 10 mins as I didn't have the big tree up this year, and then I hoovered round downstairs.

Living off savings diary
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback