MSE News: Martin's reaction to Brexit

Comments

• gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Are you asking the size of the survey?

Ashcroft says "On referendum day I surveyed 12,369 people after they had voted to help explain the result – who voted for which outcome, and what lay behind their decision."

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/#more-14746
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Jhoney_2
    Jhoney_2 Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    edited 24 June 2016 at 5:33PM
    Ed-1 wrote: »
    Farage isn't even an MP, let alone in government.

I appreciate and am thankful for that. But we have to acknowledge that:

a) He has had a lot of media time without it and opportunity to opine on it at length. Further

b) The political landscape has changed significantly and as one of the most fervant advocators of the immigration question/brexit, he will probably have a seat at the table in some capacity.

The next general election for example. I am not talking weeks and months, but as a non MP etc, he has had a prominent seat in our politics for a long time, has he not?

I am just trying to widen my lens as noone has stated in all these weeks/months what would happen after BREXIT.

It's probable that as we discuss, noone is sure, but I think we need to be aware of the potentials. E.g a 2nd scottish referendum, other british and EU referndums etc.

What was yesterday, is not today and is far, far from tomorrow:)
  • upoiupou
    upoiupou Posts: 136 Forumite
    phoenix_w wrote: »
    I think you're underestimating the general public. I've been surprised myself of how many people I know, mostly well educated & well traveled people who show no sign of racist feelings, have voted to leave. It's not as simple as "leave won because everyone hates foreigners".

You have put "leave won because everyone hates foreigners" in quotation marks but this isn't a quote from what was said. What was said was:

"However, what worries me more is that this is just the first lurch on a long slide towards racism, intolerance, and right wing extremism."

This is not the same as "everyone hates foreigners" and I have to say I find that a depressing interpretation. Racism, intolerance and right wing extremism can be - and usually are - quite selective. They can be tolerant at the same time, in numerous ways. That is why they can be so insidious.

I think your comment is imprecise and muddled - which for me sums up the whole Leave campaign.

I'm particularly struck by the positive reactions to the Leave vote from right wing party leaders of other countries like the French Front National. It doesn't surprise me, but it doesn't inspire me either.

Under the law, ignorance is no defence. I think the same applies to referendums. Being generally nice or non-racist doesn't hack it. Let's see how the next few years pan out. And let's have everyone own the consequences of their vote.
  • phoenix_w
    phoenix_w Posts: 418
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    upoiupou wrote: »
    I think your comment is imprecise and muddled - which for me sums up the whole Leave campaign.

Maybe that's because this whole referendum has been imprecise and muddled on all sides? Both remain and leave going campaigns full of fear, uncertainty and doubt. I didn't vote and I suspect I wouldn't have been happy with either outcome.

I'm still struggling to process it. I can't help but feel that if Cameron got a better deal in Europe we'd not be where we are now. Whilst I do think prejudice did play a part in some of the count, I really do believe the majority were more about bureaucracy and perceived unfairness.

The conversations I've been having over the past few weeks have covered everything from grading strawberries, Dutch fishing trawlers, the number of people employed by the EU, through to a parent who can't get their kids into their local school.
  • Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,266
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 24 June 2016 at 11:01PM
    Brief note on the EU citizens living here: if you have been here for more the 5 years you qualify for British Citizenship, which will also rightly give you the right to vote at general elections and referendums such this, and rightly so as you are paying taxes and NI and should have a say on how these are spent or affected by government decision.
    It is not cheap (I believe around £1200) but if one care for the above, it should be done. I wish I had done so when I already qualified and it costed only £150.

I would also like to answer on the comment " as long as they work and do not claim benefit", well if they have paid their fair share of taxes and NI over a long period of time, they have all the right to claim benefits should something happen to them. For example I know someone that has been here for over 20 years, always employed and paying taxes and NI. Changed job and shorthly after the company restructure and made him redundant. He spent 7 months out of job and for the first two did not claim a penny, and only after being pushed by friends that he finally start claiming job seeker allowance and other benefits. After 5 months on benefit he found a job again and has been back paying tax (I believe some on higher rate as well) and NI and you believe he was not entitled to get help when he needed to when I have met girls that have not work a day in their life, have three kids by different fathers, live in a council house and have everything paid for???
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,140
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    populace.

or the Latin populus in the sense of a people/crowd/multitude....:)
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    tesuhoha wrote: »
    When Leave were campaigning they said no one here would be made to leave.

And they can be completely trusted, as everything they said was absolutely true, wasn't it.

But let's assume this one wasn't one of their fibs. The first question would be how "someone here" would actually be defined. Is it someone who arrived last week? Someone who has earned the leave to remain indefinitely? Someone with an NI number? Someone who works / studies? Someone who is the partner / child / parent of someone else who is allowed to be here? Someone who is retired / infirm / disabled / unemployed? Etc etc etc.

The issue can't simply be brushed away because of a throw-away promise of some more or less trustworthy politician who doesn't even have any government powers.

For anyone affected, there's now an action group who is calling on the government to urgently clarify the situation: https://www.facebook.com/roger.casale12/videos/997034117076636/
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    phoenix_w wrote: »
    Whilst I do think prejudice did play a part in some of the count

A huge part. I saw some interviews with members of the public on TV and "Muslims out" and "Get rid of all of the foreigners" were the overriding themes.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Ivrytwr3
    Ivrytwr3 Posts: 6,278
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm not here to provoke an argument or to state if the decision was right or wrong, so genuine question, we were bombarded about how exiting the EU would be in the UKs interest and that vote as we all know, won. Now i was genuinely surprised, the problem i am seeing everywhere is, so is everyone else. I don't actually think people believed this would happen.

Anyway, i really would like to know if this is a good thing for us, as i am reading some quite disturbing headlines ie GBP has dropped, bad news for overseas holiday makers, Government in turmoil and even Farage appears shocked and is now backtracking on one of their major political strategies, EU money saved to go to the NHS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy-m1NSUmOY

That was quite cringe worthy interview and Suzanne Reid seem shocked too as he was so blatant - it wasn't a mistake, it was a lie.

Yes, things will calm down, the news is new and raw and lots of speculation - but will the release really be to our benefit?

In summary, we heard how amazing it would be if we left, this has happened, yet all i am hearing now is how this will cause problems. What positives (if any) can we expect to see?
  • phoenix_w
    phoenix_w Posts: 418
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    A huge part. I saw some interviews with members of the public on TV

I daresay that the media choose those people specifically to appease people like you who want to believe it's all about racism.

Have you actually spoke to your friends and colleagues who voted to leave rather than believing the biased media? You may be surprised that they voted because they want the right to buy a more powerful vacuum cleaner.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure