PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House Sold in 5 Days

It is possible, our flat went on the market on Thursday, had a viewing on Saturday and written offer was received on Monday @ 09:00, (deal is now done).

Used a free valuation from an estate agents and priced at a fixed price, then sold it through our lawyers (they are part of a solcitors property centre) it never made the local paper (£100/week saved) and was spotted on t'internet.

We knew how much we needed/wanted, although the valuer stated we could have on a good day got more, we were happy with the figure we put on, which does show a 48% increase in 30 months.

Similar flat is still on the market (4 weeks now) they priced it as an offers over, and are in fact wanting what we got for ours.

In Scotland I definately think a fixed price is the way to go, at least you know the viewers will do their sums before they view.
Only one Debt left and thats the Mortgage

June 05 - £110,500
June 06 - £ 99,000
June 07 - £96,000
June 08 - £90,000 TARGET
June 09 - £85,000 TARGET

Comments

• Milky_Mocha
    Milky_Mocha Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Congratulations on the quick sale.
    The reason people don't move right down inside the carriage is that there's nothing to hold onto when you're in the middle.
  • same here - we are in South Wales - board went up on Monday, viewed on Thursday, offer accepted on Friday. The flip side to this is that the buyer heard of the sale thru word of mouth, the estate agent couldn't make the viewing so I showed the buyers around, it appeared in the local rag ONCE & I now have got to pay the EA £2500 - but the house sold - in fact the buyers have been around 4 times for subsequent viewings & I haven't seen the EA once - I feel like sending them a bill!
  • ahll
    ahll Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Congradulations...Can I ask where did you place you house ad on the t'internet ?
    "The time is always right to do what is right"
  • the EA put on i/net on their own site - I don't know if they subscribe to a national site
  • loanranger_4
    loanranger_4 Posts: 164 Forumite
    Congrats on a blindingly quick sale!

We had a similar experience from the buyers perspective. House went onto findaproperty Wednesday, board went up on Thursday, we viewed on Thursday. Put in offer which was accepted on the Tuesday.

So in total 6 days. I think that it helped that it was 'right priced', unlike other overpriced properties in the area.

I strongly agree that sellers should put their cards on the table, it takes the guesswork out of making offers ! We previously bid unsuccessfully for 4 other properties. :(
    Z

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation." Herman Melville.
  • Having bought my first house last year I would thoroughly agree that a 'fixed price' gives the buyer much more confidence and is a much more up-front and honest way of doing things. When I was viewing I had to assume that sellers were wanting up to 30% over the 'offers over' price which scared me away from putting in offers on a lot of properties which could have been within my price range.

'Fixed price' properties are few and far between unfortunately, usually confined to new build and the difficult to shift!

Well done you! :D
    If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor...
  • irnbru_2
    irnbru_2 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    'Fixed price' properties are few and far between unfortunately, usually confined to new build and the difficult to shift!

That may be the case in Stirling but in Glasgow its become more and more common to see properties move to FP from OO within 3-4 weeks. The downside is that, in my bracket, they still want the peak price irrespective of the glut of available properties.

It would be interesting to know which property centre (GSPC/ESPC/?) the OP was with?
  • Gray0103
    Gray0103 Posts: 100 Forumite
    irnbru wrote:
    It would be interesting to know which property centre (GSPC/ESPC/?) the OP was with?

ESPC, flat was on their website only, no other form of advertising. Sale was that quick, there were no schedules ready (cancelled them and saved more cash)

We sold my girlfriends flat through an EA, and it cost approx £1,000, and we had to chase for feedback all the time, we recon the EA involved in this sale had over priced the flat, we eventually got what we wanted. Where as through ESPC is was effortless.

We decided after buying a property and making 5 offers before we hit the magic number, that FP is the way forward.
    Only one Debt left and thats the Mortgage

June 05 - £110,500
    June 06 - £ 99,000
    June 07 - £96,000
    June 08 - £90,000 TARGET
    June 09 - £85,000 TARGET
  • I just bought my first place, it was sold before it had chance to go public!

I had an appointment to see a property at 12 on the monday, the estate agent called me to say that another one in the same area had been put on the market that morning and would i like to be shown round it before the other one. Why not i said!

We got there, it was perfect, and on at a fair price. Looked round 8 other propertys that day but none came up to scratch so we put a low offer in on the first one, they said no, upped it by a grand, they accepted and voila!

The sign hadnt even gone up! infact the estate agent was taking the pictures and measurements as we looked round. Nobody else saw it so we were very lucky they accepted so quickly!

I have to say the sign has gone up now with a big sold on it, so the estate agent can show it sold in one day!

But they didnt even need to advertise it!

Woo Hoo!! 4 weeks and i should be in!
  • kazd
    kazd Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    Now I am even more depressed, our house went on at the end of Jan, in 9 weeks we had 5 viewings with the first agent, with the 2nd we have had 3 viewings in 8 weeks and none in the last four. In this time we lost the house we wanted, then a couple of weeks ago we were contacted to say the house is still available if we want it as the purchasers hadn't even arranged the survey 5 - 6 weeks later. Starting to get desperate now.
    £2.00 Savers Club = £34.00 So Far

+ however may £2 coins I have saved in my Terramundi since 2000.

Terramundi weighs 8lb 5oz
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport