Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Elizabethsc
    • By Elizabethsc 29th Apr 18, 6:46 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Elizabethsc
    'Declined credit in the past'
    • 29th Apr 18, 6:46 PM
    'Declined credit in the past' 29th Apr 18 at 6:46 PM
    I am wanting to apply for the Sainsburys Nectar purchase credit card, and under 'You're eligible to apply if you:' it has 'Have not been declined credit in the past month'.

I applied for a new current account Monday (23.4.18) with an overdraft, my first request of an od of 12500 was declined but my second request of 1000 was accepted.

Does this count as credit that I have been been declined?
    Last edited by Elizabethsc; 29-04-2018 at 7:02 PM.
Page 1
    • Dox
    • By Dox 29th Apr 18, 9:35 PM
    • 1,770 Posts
    • 1,340 Thanks
    Dox
    • 29th Apr 18, 9:35 PM
    • 29th Apr 18, 9:35 PM
    Yes - a credit limit of £12,500 was declined.
    • Nile
    • By Nile 29th Apr 18, 11:18 PM
    • 14,442 Posts
    • 14,416 Thanks
    Nile
    • 29th Apr 18, 11:18 PM
    • 29th Apr 18, 11:18 PM
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘I wanna’ board to the ‘Credit Cards’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
    • Westminster
    • By Westminster 30th Apr 18, 7:46 AM
    • 967 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    Westminster
    • 30th Apr 18, 7:46 AM
    • 30th Apr 18, 7:46 AM
    You may find that your overdraft request did not result in a credit search as your own bank typically has extensive financial history for you already. Also - did they flat out decline your £12500 request, or did they say that you can't have that much but we can offer you £1000. If it was the latter then you were not technically declined.

Try an eligibility calculator (soft-search) for that credit card as you will generally want to avoid hard searches where possible.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the following boards: Mortgages & Endowments, Mortgage-Free Wannabe, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving and Charities.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts on there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Elizabethsc
    • By Elizabethsc 30th Apr 18, 10:31 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Elizabethsc
    • 30th Apr 18, 10:31 PM
    • 30th Apr 18, 10:31 PM
    My new current account is with a different bank than my old current account i'm afraid - assuming that means they would be doing a full credit search?

They denied the request for the 1250 (also realised i added an extra zero in my initial post!) and asked me if I would like to apply for another amount, so I went for the 1000 and thankfully was accepted.

I did an eligibility search and got 95% for this card but very nervous of being rejected again if the overdraft will affect my credit history.

Thank you for the reply!
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 1st May 18, 12:03 AM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 2,389 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 1st May 18, 12:03 AM
    • 1st May 18, 12:03 AM
    Why not just wait a month and then apply? If you wait until 24th May you can truthfully answer no.

PS A request for a £12500 overdraft was unrealistic. No surprise it was declined! You are giving the impression of being desperate for credit.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 01-05-2018 at 12:10 AM.
    • Chino
    • By Chino 1st May 18, 9:28 AM
    • 1,178 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Chino
    • 1st May 18, 9:28 AM
    • 1st May 18, 9:28 AM
    PS A request for a £12500 overdraft was unrealistic. No surprise it was declined! You are giving the impression of being desperate for credit.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    The OP has already explained that this was a typo:
    They denied the request for the 1250 (also realised i added an extra zero in my initial post!)
    Originally posted by Elizabethsc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

277Posts Today

2,099Users online

Martin's Twitter