HELP!Back to college benefit?

Hi

My hsband and I have recently moved out of our static caravan and back into his parents to live for a while.

We are still trying to sell the caravan as we no longer want to live there if we can help it. It will cost us too much to stay.

I have decided to quit the self employment game and look for work either full or part time. We need the income and stability if we are ever to move on in life!

However having been to a string of interviews this past month I am finding that I am being refused even turned down without a chance of a meeting.

I can only think it is my qualifications as I gained them whilst I was still in school some 15 + years ago. Although I have kept in touch with the experiences of working in a office, and for the past 4 years supported my husband running the admin and 'paperwork' side of his business I know they are not up to todays standards.

I am considering going back to college to gain this centuries qualifications in word processing etc however I am concerned we will not be entitled to any benefits if I do this.

I currently receive £200 per month Working Tax Credit as both husband and I are classed as self employed. With this I have to spread thinly to pay our everyday bills of life as the business continues to just pay for its overheads. I have sat down and striped bare any unnecesary payments from both the business account and from my account as I have the responsibility to pay our joint payments.

I had hoped to move into a rented property from October but this is looking increasingly unlikely as my husband continues to live in his dreamworld bubble with rose tinted glasses and although everyone around him has tried to open his eyes to reality he continues to bury his head in the sand.

It has come to put me under pressure to be the main breadwinner but I also need to update my skills.

With this info in mind where would I stand with entitlement to any benefits whether WTC or other (Income Support) obviously if we are going to be unintitled to any help financially then it would not be wise or possible for me to go to colege at all, trapping my future career.

We were hoping to rent out our own flat as I mentioned earlier and were again hoping for help through Council tax and rent benefit, but I cant see this being possible.

I suppose I have an option to do something else and not office work, but all my working life prior to being self employrd these past 4 years I have had a background in customer and people focused roles.

Some of you may recognise me from past threads but before you pass judgement may I appeal to you that I have changed, I no longer am that person I used to be, I am trying to plan for a better future and it is now my husband who is slowing me down. I am not one who can pass coment on this as I myself am guilty of being idle in the past.

Now I am concentrating on what I want to achieve and our / my future and not what was. But even though I have woken up to reality I am still being held back not by myself but through lack of support!

Sorry to carry on about it but I don't have a high morale at the moment and few friends who have listen!
I am sorry for my attitude in the past and am truly guilty of not comiting to your advice and actions.

I hope you can forgive me and we can al start again on a more successful journey back to the future!

Thank you for your help, advice and support.

Best wishes

Heddwen

:)

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Heddwen

I've recently started a Word Processing Course OCN (open college network) level 1.

It is at the womens centre in my town (YWCA). The course is free. I also get a free creche place for my 2 year old, refreshments free and if I go by public transport that refunded too. Perhaps you can have a look in your area to see if they have something similar running as the first step.

HTH
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Hi Heddwen

Try your local Adult Community College. They run a lot of part-time courses, 2 hrs a week etc. What you need is either CLAIT - this is basic WP, Excel and Access, or you need one of the modules of the ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence) - they start at Level 1.

Because these are all part-time courses they shouldn't affect any benefits you receive.

Ask at your local college. They'll soon be publicising the courses they'll be running from September.

Aunty Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Heddwen_2
    Heddwen_2 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Hi HTH & Margaret

Thanks for this advice, I have already called Learn Direct and enquired about their courses and they do run some in my local area. I am also going to contact my local Adult Education and coleges tomorrow (they will be shut now) to seek further advice.

I am going to look at doing both the ECDL and the CLAIT courses as although I have been told some of the CLAIT course would be to basic for me I have no understanding of Excel or spreadsheets! So it would help me t brush up an many things I have self taught since schooling.

I would have liked to have considered a full time or part time course during the day at my local college/s Bognor or Chichester area, but as there is little hope of help moneywise I dont see it happening. I also need a to start making friends as I have few and my social life, as has my money been non existant!

Thanks again both, you sure have cheered me up a little!

Heddwen
  • thereaper101
    thereaper101 Posts: 45 Forumite
    I agree with margaretclare ECDL and CLAIT are the way to go for quals, there is also a CLAIT plus which you can work towards.

I know what you mean about the interviews, except it is the other way round for me, some places will not touch me because of my degree. I am currently in employment at a South Wales College (poorly paid IT / Network support), but had an Interview yesterday for a job that I really want (not holding my breath though) Interview Knockbacks are destroying, I know, but don`t give up.

Nick
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I initially enquired about CLAIT, but the course fees were around £100 and unless I could have done the course on evening (not always possible due to hubbys job) I would have also needed to pay for childcare for daughter whilst I studied.

As it happened I stumbled across the WP OCN level 1 (in my previous post) and decided to start on this. The following day I got offered a job in a school
    working over lunchtimes.

After easter my daughter will be funded for her nursery/playgroups so I'll go on to doing the CLAIT course then -and pay for it out of my wages.
  • volks400
    volks400 Posts: 245 Forumite
    ECDL etc are really good courses and even not that difficult. my local JC+ in glasgow is offering these courses for free for lone parents but have to sign a contract to work in the council after the course finishes. not bad atall.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure