What can I claim?

I left my last job mid January and have been unable to find another one. I don't really want to claim benefits but am struggling to make ends meet. OH works but his wages vary week to week (average bring home is £300 a week but can be as much as £800). Am I entitled to anything?

I was thinking about Job Seekers Allowance but have heard it is a lot of fuss and bother to apply for this. Any advice would be appreciated
The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie

Comments

• margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Hi

You are entitled to claim Jobseekers Allowance! If you've been working for long enough you can claim JSA (contribution-based). In other words, it's one of the things you've been paying National Insurance contributions for!

The other thing to bear in mind is, while you get JSA you also get your National Insurance contributions credited to you. The time will come when you'll want to have a complete NI record - many years ahead, I know!

So get down to your local JobCentre and put in a claim.

Aunty Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Jobseeker's Allowance (This link will take you to the Jobcentre Plus website)
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Sue30
    Sue30 Posts: 1 Newbie
    I found this link on my local councils website.
    http://www.entitledto.co.uk/
    Its an on line calculator, which you enter some details about yourself and it will list all the benifits that you may be entitled to such as JSA, Tax Credits, Housing benifit etc and calculate how much you could get.
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    This site continues to amaze me!

Seek and you shall find!

Just what I wanted to know - Hubby out of work, I work self employed appx 17hrs week and £200 is really really lucky and wanted to know if he can claim!!! I have a different questions so will start new post!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure