PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 22nd April 2019

Natty68
Natty68 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 25 April 2019 at 11:12PM in Old style MoneySaving
What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.
It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Some of our abbreviations: DH- dear husband, OH- other half, KH/CF- affectionate term for ex husband or partner DS/DD- dear son/daughter, DGC- dear grandchild, WM- washing machine, DW- dishwasher, LR/DR- living/dining room, RoD- room of doom, Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al- supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Bank Holiday Monday Bits and Bobs

No levels - pick and choose as appropriate/necessary or feel free to entirely ignore!

S&S bathroom

S&S kitchen

15 minutes fling frenzy...enlist the help of anyone and everyone. Issue bin bags and fling that junk/rubbish and clutter. Get all recycling out too. A straight/tidy home automatically looks cleaner and lifts the spirit!

Spend time with those you love.

Mad Tuesday ~ Living room, Hallway, Stairs
Level One..

Get rid of any cobwebs that have moved in...
Remove clutter from floors, chairs and fireplace
Open the windows and let in some fresh air
Level Two..
Vacuum floors and sofas
Wipe and water neglected plants
Dust those flat fluffy surfaces
Dispose of old magazines/papers that you don't want.
Level Three...
Vacuum under the furniture you can move
Clean windows, pictures, mirrors etc.
Change any lightbulbs that need doing!
Vacuum hall and stairs.. all the way up to the top!!!!!
Extras
  • Wipe woodwork in the hall and stairs & wipe front door.. inside and out!
  • Wipe skirting boards
  • HHI...
  • Wash any removable throws/cushion covers from the sofa.
  • Wash any nets/curtains that need cleaning.. put up fresh ones!
  • Wipe over radiators
  • Clean out your handbag.. how many receipts??
  • 15 minutes filing

Wacky Wednesday ~ Study or other reception room & bathrooms
Level One...

Clear the clutter from all these rooms!!
Ring someone you love just to tell them so.. we never do this enough!
Level Two...
Vacuum the floors
Clean bath, toilets, shower and sinks
Give those plug holes a thorough cleaning!!!
Wipe down the tiles and defragment the pc while doing this.
Level Three...
Wash any curtains/blinds/mats etc that need doing
Declutter and dust the pc desk
Wipe away cup rings and sticky things
Wiipe the keyboard, mouse, cables and sockets and suchlike.
Clean the windows.
Extras
  • HHI..
  • Clear a hotspot
  • Degunge around the bottoms of the taps!
  • Wipe cupboards and polish mirrors!

Thrilling Thursday ~ Bedrooms & landing
Level One..

Check fire alarms are working
Clean lightshade. And remove dead insects
Fling open the window and let in the spring!
Level Two...
Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs..
Vacuum & turn mattress before replacing with fresh linen..
15 minutes floordrobe clearance
Level Three...
Remove and wash bed linen and duvet covers.
Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
Sort 10 things from your wardrobe (or someone elses) that you can get rid of..
Clear a hotspot.. or spend 15 minutes clearing one.
Extra tasks list
  • 33 fling boogie time, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
  • Clean windows in these rooms
  • Clear a box of clutter from the landing
  • Make any necessary phone calls

Killer Kitchen - Friday
Level One
Clear and wipe work surfaces
Open the windows and let in the spring!
Level Two
Sweep and Mop the floor
Clean the icky filters and drawers from DW's, WM's etc
Wipe the cupboard fronts, appliances and all those manky corners!!
Level Three
Wipe the table, replace cloth if needed
Clean all those small appliances, wipe then put them back to where they belong :D
Wipe the icky things out of the fridge.
Figure out what needs using up first and work it into your meal plan next week!
Treat the pets for fleas!!! This is prime time for them to be developing an infestation.. the last thing you need in your house!
Extras
  • Clean oven/hob
  • HHI ..
  • Clean windows and sills
  • Empty the cupboards and clean the entire insides, start with the worst cupboard!!.. shelves, everything.
  • Get rid of the chipped plates etc.. the chipped parts harbour germs of disgusting proportions as the pottery but it porous they have lots of places to hide.. revolting.. get rid of!
  • Clear clutter from shelves and wipe them over.. I want to see empty spaces and shiny shelves!!
Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️

Comments

• roundtuit
    roundtuit Posts: 4,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Thank you Natty - I'm in xx

Night all
    Rxx
    IT ONLY TAKES SMALL DAILY ACTIONS
    FOR MAGIC TO HAPPEN
    Rosemary Ikpeme
    :D
  • ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you Natty - I'm in too, but as per my last post on the last thread.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,992 Forumite
    Ty for fred.

Jojo.. He is not the only person who does not think you're an a$$hole.. WE don't.. WE think you are a fabulous caring human being. You give so much to those children at work whether they appreciate it now or they do in 50 years.. you believe in them, you believe in that manbeast of yours.. you support and love so many people and regardless of how useless and cruel your upbringing you have become this person. This person who gives every ounce of herself to those who you care about. Anyone in that category is very honoured and priveleged.. Your love is not given easily which makes it even more special. Your brother can hear your words, he can feel your presence, his lifeline is still holding on and if by his passing can help others survive and see their families grow that would bring him joy. That is the ultimate gift!

We are here for you always xx
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,841 Forumite
    I'm in thank you for the lists xx

Jojo, not sure what has happened, but we are here for you, if you need help just ask I am sure at least one or two of us you have the experience or ideas to help, hugs to you.

I'm up, the cat's up! say no more.................

I'm wandering the internet.

I'm also very sad as my childhood house caught fire yesterday, the current owners etc all got out ok.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Morning,
    I'm in today. Camping trip tomorrow so today's list is:

Washing
    Get the camping stuff out
    Pack for camping trip
    Find Christmas cheques and pay into account
    Sort the dining room of doom (urgh, I hate the fact it's a through room and therefore everything gets dumped in it)
    Go to Mr S's (on my own) for their 25% off event
    Tidy round the house
    Find ebook - no idea when I even had it last boooooo

Think that's enough for today.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    Morning everyone. Thanks for the list, I'm in.

Living room already dusted. Breakfast being eaten. DH is at work so I'll treat today almost as a normal day.

Have a great day everyone.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,079 Forumite
    edited 22 April 2019 at 9:05AM
    (((Hugs))) Jojo and Dancemum. (I can't imagine a kinder, gentler or better way to go than being 'sung away.')
    Ionafan, is it possible Rosie got stung by a bee or wasp and knocked the pot over while she rushed about in the shock of the pain?
    Kazwookie, I'm not sure about forgiveness being compulsory or even possible for everyone in the heat of the aftermath.

Too tired to do very much yesterday. OH on the other hand did loads, so things are progressing. Today I will make a 6' scratching post for the kittens because the 4' one isn't tall enough for these two and we'll get the secondary glazing down so we can get some air moving in the house, then shove some stuff up in the attic and get other stuff down. Plus some Flying in the shower room and bathroom. That's enough for a BH, with the Listy of course. Thanks Natty, and Valli for last week's.
    Better is good enough.
  • Fayolle
    Fayolle Posts: 2,893 Forumite
    ((Hugs)) Jojo. And everything that everyone else has already said.
    Thank you for the lists. I’m in. The wm is on its second running and I’ve seen off the creeping ironing pile. The house needs a good clean through but I am off tomorrow when the others are out so that will have to wait until then. Besides the garden is calling again. Tomorrow is green bin day so it would be wrong not to fill in to the top, right?:D
    I hope Rosie is ok, Iona.
  • roundtuit
    roundtuit Posts: 4,015 Forumite
    Morning :wave:

pigpen - well said xx

ionafan - how's Rosie today? xx

I've breakfasted on tea and toast and finished reading my book - which has been deposited in the cs pile. Just thinking about getting dressed - both DS and GF have now finished in the bathroom, so I'll grab it quickly.... and change the towels whilst I'm in there :D Then put WM on, pizza delivery debris out, and feed the birds / top up the bird bath....

… it's a start :D Feeling quite relaxed after a day's enforced idleness sat in the sun watching DS race. He finished 6th out of 20 and was on the backside of those jostling for 3rd/4th/5th so it was exciting stuff :T

Right - clothes on.

Hugs to all
    Rxx
    IT ONLY TAKES SMALL DAILY ACTIONS
    FOR MAGIC TO HAPPEN
    Rosemary Ikpeme
    :D
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    After yesterday's successful party S&S the kitchen is VERY much on today's to do list. Dishwasher needs emptying and there washing up to to. My sister brought 7 extra chairs which she doesn't need; folding, so we were all sat out in the garden which was lovely. I've been gifted 5 of the chairs too. We had just enough chairs for everyone to sit out.
    Well here goes...
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family