Repairing sky+hd

My sky+had is out of warranty. I declined taking insurance. If it breaks down. I will have to pay. I am wondering whether anybody has managed to get sky q at a discount. I am not sure how it works, I do not know want to pay any extra monthly subscription Other option is to move to virgin but am still under contract. Thanks

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Whdoubt you'd get much in the way of Q without taking an expensive package

You can probably find someone to give you a (sky HD) box or pick one up for £20 of eBay anyway making the insurance pointless. Though with insurance you would probably get a q box. Expensive way though.

Or just cancel like I did ;-)
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Just tell sky u will leave and they will repair for free.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,147 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sky HD boxes are repairable, if it's the hard disk which failed. They can be a bit tricky to get into, but once you're in it's just a standard computer drive (and you can even upgrade).

Alternatively you can often pick up a replacement unit for little or nothing and then just register it with Sky.

I think the Sky Q boxes remain the property of Sky, unlike the HD ones.
  • Since it hasn't broken down I'm not sure what you're worrying about.

I got a 1TB Q box for a one off £20 awhile back but I was on a rolling monthly contract, being within minimum term you have less leverage. If the HD+ box did break down just buy a 2nd hand one and put your VC in it. The insurance is a total waste of money.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As suggested in some posts, if box breaks down & you're out of contract just phone to cancel. I did this as I wasn't too bothered about living without sky & was really suprised when they offered me a new box rather than cancelling.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As above, Sky+HD boxes are easily repairable, 9 times out of 10 it's usually the hard drive but tbh it's not really worth it as the going rate for a used box is around £20 these days.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I've always sourced replacement boxes cheap off eBay , collection only.

Normally paid £10-20

Online to pair sky card to box , 5 minute job
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • HWW
    HWW Posts: 103 Forumite
    neilmcl wrote: »
    As above, Sky+HD boxes are easily repairable, 9 times out of 10 it's usually the hard drive but tbh it's not really worth it as the going rate for a used box is around £20 these days.
    There are loads of HD boxes at Car boot sales, never found a faulty one yet, just delete all the rubbish the previous owner recorded & off you go! About £5 or less with remote usually.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure