PC Gaming VS Console Gaming - What's your opinion

Comments

• El_Torro
    El_Torro Posts: 1,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    hahah that's sooo true! I'm a bit behind with the latest AMD Ryzen but it people tell me that they are Intel killers and that the only way to go for new gaming is to get a Ryzen, Ryzen seems to be best value for money by miles. Do you know anything about that?

If you're looking at CPUs for gaming then this article is a good read:

https://techreport.com/review/34211/our-picks-for-the-best-gaming-cpus-of-late-2018

According to the article the Ryzen is a good budget to mid range choice, though they still seem to think the i5-8400 is the one to go for.

The Tech Report is generally a good website for PC hardware. Their System Guide used to release every three months or so and would give a good overview of what's what by component. They don't update it so much anymore and the last couple of updates have been extremely "streamlined" and have less information.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 December 2018 at 1:08PM
    Mun.Rassul wrote: »
    Over the years I have made the transition from PC gaming to console gaming, and it comes with a few reasons, growing up and family has taken a large chunk out of my time and now I game alot less, this basically means that I cannot justify the cost of a gaming PC versus the time I spend on it.

I'd not thought of it like that before. They aren't cheap bits of kit but on the other hand a good desk top is more robust and will outlast a laptop.
    The 2nd reason is that alot of gaming in early days plus the work that I do means that my fingers start aching sooner than they used to lol , no more long mouse and keyboard sessions for me and this is the 2nd reason.
    The X Box controller is very confortable to hold over long periods of time.

There's not alot when it comes to matching up mouse accuracy and MMOs like World of Warcraft. Consoles likely need to go through a few more generations of innovation before the gap in gaming experience between cosoles and PCs starts to close more.
    That being said, PC techonology developements arent exactly slowing down either.
    Dedicated gamers with time - PC
    Occasional gamer - Console Just my thoughts.

Hours of playing games can make the hands quite soar and tired.

So that's another little list of summaries to add to the pros and cons for anybody reading this thread.

So if you have less time then a console might be the way to go unless you have games which are very specific to a pc!
  • System
    El_Torro wrote: »
    If you're looking at CPUs for gaming then this article is a good read:

According to the article the Ryzen is a good budget to mid range choice, though they still seem to think the i5-8400 is the one to go for.
    The Tech Report is generally a good website for PC hardware. Their System Guide used to release every three months or so and would give a good overview of what's what by component. They don't update it so much anymore and the last couple of updates have been extremely "streamlined" and have less information.

Thanks El Torro I'll give it a look for sure. I thought that the word was that Ryzen literally destroyed intel to the point where there was no competition at all so perhaps that's not quite the case?

I wonder if it would be worth starting a separate thread about that? Any thoughts? AMD vs INTEL?
  • Out of interest - how old are you guys who still play games, be they console or PC? Give a region if you'd prefer. I'm in my 30s for example so there's a 10 year span.

I used to play quite a lot up to about my early-mid 20s and then eased off dramatically.

Then about 2011 i picked up mobile play quite heavily and drifted in to a PC game also heavily where i'd spend too many of my free hours.

The last 12 months though i've stopped playing games really. I'm now looking at selling my PS4 as it's mostly a blu-ray player. I'll keep the Wii U though because i can't lose Mario Kart :D
  • System
    edited 11 December 2018 at 6:57PM
    Hey there JustAnotherSaver!

Yes we love gaming and the truth is that a true gamer just evolves. I myself am similar to you I'm no longer in my 20's but my mates are all different ages, but mostly 30 plus and it's timeless and ageless now I think. You have to remember that gaming started in the 70's and then took hold in the 80's so it's got a long tradition. Think of the ages of the developers and founders of Valve/Steam for exampl. Think how old the owners of facebook and other tech giants like Google, they all grew up on computer games

The point you make about it being a time sink though is a good one. I don't play as many games as I used to.

What games do you play when you get a chance?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Over the years I have made the transition from PC gaming to console gaming, and it comes with a few reasons, growing up and family has taken a large chunk out of my time and now I game alot less, this basically means that I cannot justify the cost of a gaming PC versus the time I spend on it.

Becoming an occasional gamer means I now only play on consoles when I want to play a game.

The 2nd reason is that alot of gaming in early days plus the work that I do means that my fingers start aching sooner than they used to lol , no more long mouse and keyboard sessions for me and this is the 2nd reason.

The X Box controller is very confortable to hold over long periods of time.

There's not alot when it comes to matching up mouse accuracy and MMOs like World of Warcraft. Consoles likely need to go through a few more generations of innovation before the gap in gaming experience between cosoles and PCs starts to close more.

That being said, PC techonology developements arent exactly slowing down either.

Dedicated gamers with time - PC
    Occasional gamer - Console

Just my thoughts.

Thats where i'd be on it too. I'm 49 and recently just bought an XBox One X for just over £300. Tremendous value for money and with XBox Live for £7.99 a month i've over 100 games free to play. I tend to focus on racing games so i've FH4 (via XBox Live) and FM7 (bought for £12).

If i'm working i maybe only get 4-5 hours a week at it. Very hard to justify a £,£££ spend on a gaming PC for me for occasional use.
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I really like the idea of the Total War series. Have you got a favourite one?

Shogun II is definitely my favourite. Rome I is a classic, old now but a great game. The latest Warhammer series is very rewarding too, but maybe more so if you are already familiar with the Total War Engine as the combat gets pretty complex.

As it's a very historical game people tend to like the one that's based in the period/place of history they are most interested in, so maybe best start with that! (but maybe avoid Rome II!).
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Out of interest - how old are you guys who still play games, be they console or PC? Give a region if you'd prefer. I'm in my 30s for example so there's a 10 year span.
    :D

56 here, and been playing computer games since the early 80's, starting with a Sinclair 48k Spectrum.

Started playing PC games when they could only display 4 colours on the screen - Magenta, Cyan, Black & White, probably late 80's or so when I made the switch to a PC. Google 'Wizardry IV' for an example of the cutting edge graphics available at the time.

I've lost count of the number of PC's I've bought and usually upgraded my PC due to some new game - although I would wait a bit (still do) and get something down a level from cutting edge specs or the cost is insane.

DW and I mentioned as 'coolest parents ever' by son's Uni friends when they discovered we grouped as a family of 4 (us and 2 boys) through WoW and I was guild Main Tank and raid leader, wife was guild priest leader. We could do some pretty crazy stuff due to sitting next to each other whilst playing.

I still fondly remember some of the 72 person raids in Everquest, some lasting 4-5 hours. Getting 72 people to concentrate and co-ordinate for that length of time, with no voice comms (typing instructions only) and then finally succeeding, maybe on your 7th or 8th attempt. Getting voice comms made it so much easier in the end :D

To paranoidandroid - Steam regularly have Total War sales, try Shogun 2 or Original Total War Rome (not Rome 2). I think one of the best Total war games was Total War Medieval 2. Original Total War Rome and Medieval 2 will run on a pretty low spec PC nowadays.

If you have any interest in Fantasy/Warhammer the Warhammer Total War games are epic but cost a fair bit with all the DLCs and you need a decent spec PC to play properly.

Lots of youtubers streaming or uploading campaigns if you want tips etc HeirofCarthage, Lionheartx10, Surreal Beliefs etc although most concentrate on latest releases - some with >300k subscribers, watching someone play a game..........

Long post, bringing back some happy memories.
  • I only go as far back as the Amstrad CPC 464 i'm afraid. We had the green monitor though my cousin afforded the colour. I was incredibly jealous. Cassette loading :)

Harrier Attack, Hit Squad, the Dizzy series - Magicland Dizzy was perhaps my favourite, Paperboy, Batman. We had so many but i forget a lot of their names.

I'd sit and pretend i could type like the people you'd see on TV. Now i can hit over 100wpm on those tests.

My first console was a SNES, later the PS1, PS2, Wii, Wii U & PS4.

I never bought stacks of games for consoles other than with the PS2. Mostly i bought a few titles and played them to death. Street Fighter 2 for example (or SF2 Turbo). Racing games, football games, Duke Nukem, Doom.

Then i got on to the PC with command & conquer Red Alert and Yuri's Revenge. Oh and the Championship Manager series back before they got too in depth. On the topic of which -

I'm not really a big fan of modern games to be honest. Simple games hook me but really complex in depth games are too much for me these days (though i still remember getting hooked on FF7). Everything is a war game nowadays it seems. Not really my thing.
  • System
    motorguy wrote: »
    Thats where i'd be on it too. I'm 49 and recently just bought an XBox One X for just over £300. Tremendous value for money and with XBox Live for £7.99 a month i've over 100 games free to play. I tend to focus on racing games so i've FH4 (via XBox Live) and FM7 (bought for £12).

If i'm working i maybe only get 4-5 hours a week at it. Very hard to justify a £,£££ spend on a gaming PC for me for occasional use.

The only problem with gaming is that it is a definite time sink and life just gets in the way of having the time to devote to good games. Part of the problem is that games are such good quality. I believe the money spent on good quality games now is in the tens and hundreds of millions! The industry is bigger than hollywood in terms of money so we can be forgiven for spending time on fav games

So would you say playing racing games is definitely better played on a console because of the controller? I have played Xbox 360 before and I played Forza and it was awesome. I loved it but would that be the same experience on a PC? I'm not sure
    Any thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport