Our new TalkTalk haggling guide- please share your feedback

Former_MSE_Megan_F
Former_MSE_Megan_F Posts: 418 Forumite
Newshound!
edited 25 August 2015 at 4:07PM in Broadband & internet access
articlealert2_banner.gif

Hi, we have a new Haggle with TalkTalk guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback and experiences.

Post below to share any information and tips. If you haven't already join the forum to reply. If you need any help getting started read our New to Forum? Intro Guide

Thanks in advance,

MSE Megan F
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• Is this article hidden in the same place as the Plusnet guide?
  • I contacted TalkTalk recently because they were going to charge me a contract cancellation fee of over £18 - I was unaware I was even on a 12 month contract as I had been on a 1 month rolling contract with AOL for years. I am in the process of taking up SSE's excellent offer of free broadband for 2 years combined with a phone package with free calls for a cost of £20 per month.

When I was speaking with one of their reps, his final offer, after trying his best to retain my custom, was a phone package including free calls, free broadband for life(!) and a few other benefits all for....... you guessed it, £20 per month.

One of the main reasons for leaving TalkTalk was because they had hiked my broadband (when they took over AOL) from £10 per month to £15 per month, as well as the SSE offer. So, given the above offer I suspect I was being fleeced for the best part of a year.

My reason for this post is simply to say, call them up and tell them you are going for the SSE offer and, with luck, you may get the same offer. And, by the way, the cancellation charge is being dropped (so they're not all bad).

Good luck.
    :T
  • labrydog
    labrydog Posts: 364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you Mse! Had tried to haggle my package down last month and all they'd offer was a reduction of £2.50 per month.

This time around I armed myself with:
    1) uswitch figures (including newbie talk talk offers)
    2) exact bt figures including benefits of their package over talk talk.
    3) my exact current package price.
    4) confidence from reading the haggle guide (twice)
    5) A smiley, pleasant attitude. :)

Regretting the necessity to leave talk talk, I outlined the cost difference and how I simply couldn't afford to pay extra for the same package and how unfortunate it was that Talk Talk only offered the "simply broadband" deal to new, not existing, customers .... and waited.

Not long to wait, and got a £165 saving over the next year!

THANK YOU! :T:T:T:T:T:T:T
    I love straight forward people, makes life ten times easier.
  • Just spoke to talktalk and managed to get a new 12 month contract - not 18months as they tried to insist was their only offer. After a bit of to and fro, I got 12 months free broadband and 6 months free anytime calls package, reverting to £7.50pm after that, saving me £45 on what I pay now. I was within a month of end on my current 12 month contract end and insisted that 18 months was too long as I am looking to move home. This seemed to do the trick since if you move you have to pay up your contract. I'm generally happy with the service and like that calls to mobiles are included as well as included extras like caller display etc. Happy days.
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2015 at 7:40AM
    5amjones wrote: »
    Just spoke to talktalk and managed to get a new 12 month contract - not 18months as they tried to insist was their only offer. After a bit of to and fro, I got 12 months free broadband and 6 months free anytime calls package, reverting to £7.50pm after that, saving me £45 on what I pay now. I was within a month of end on my current 12 month contract end and insisted that 18 months was too long as I am looking to move home. This seemed to do the trick since if you move you have to pay up your contract. I'm generally happy with the service and like that calls to mobiles are included as well as included extras like caller display etc. Happy days.
    Thanks Sam did you pay your line rental upfront at the same time?
    Pretty good deal.:)
    18 months are a way of entrapment, in my opinion.
    I'm due to renew line and contract,next month, although I'm out of contract at present., so following this thread with interest
    I am a long standing customer, and no real complaints, so not looking to leave..:beer:
  • I've just rung TalkTalk as my contract ends with them next month, but despite quoting other offers available, and being very pleasant, I was not able to get much of a deal offer out of them. The best offer was an 18 month contract (they absolutely refused to offer a 12 month one) and £7.50 per month instead of £10 per month for the Essentials Broadband & TV package. I said I was not happy with the offer, but was told that was the best they could do.
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    I've just rung TalkTalk as my contract ends with them next month, but despite quoting other offers available, and being very pleasant, I was not able to get much of a deal offer out of them. The best offer was an 18 month contract (they absolutely refused to offer a 12 month one) and £7.50 per month instead of £10 per month for the Essentials Broadband & TV package. I said I was not happy with the offer, but was told that was the best they could do.
    I've just phoned them, my LR is up 15th dec.
    Out of contract.for BB
    Offered 18 months @ £7.50 pm for 6 months, then £15 pm for next 12 months.+ LR.
    Thats for BB and anytime calls, which newbies get for £7.50 pm for the full 18 months.+ LR.
    no haggling.take it or leave.
  • Similar story contract finishes 31st October currently paying £32.70 per month for essentials TV, simply broadband and calls +LR + medium fibre. Got offered £28.95 for same package for 12 months then £32.70 for remaining 6 months not much of a saving especially compared to what they have been offering new customers. Will try again after the hacking scandal see if they are more keen to keep my custom.
  • In light of the recent cyber attack and being third time I decided to immediately cancel my Talk Talk Home phone/Broadband and Talk Talk Mobile contracts. Rather than wasting my time I wrote directly to Ms D Harding CEO Office informing her that I was giving her 2 weeks notice of my intention to leave and terminate both contracts without exit/cancellation charges (I had 12 months on mobile contract and 8 months on broadband left), quoted all the suggestions/ tips your website provided on the T&C's, quoted that I would look at pursuing a case against them for stress, I also confirmed that I would report them to the ICO and OFCOM.
    Within 3 days I had a telephone call from the Chief Executive Office - I refused to speak with them and suggested they email me in light of the fact I did not know that they were definately who they say they were (being sarcastic!!!). The chap emailed me to confirm they were looking into my points. 2 days letter he emailed to confirm that they would allow me to leave without penalty as a gesture of goodwill. Success!!! Could have been in the region of £400 in fees...... keep trying and I suggest contacting CEO direct and don not bother with the customer service department!!!!! GOOD LUCK
    (Now a very happy Sky broadband customer)
  • In light of the recent cyber attack and being third time I decided to immediately cancel my Talk Talk Home phone/Broadband and Talk Talk Mobile contracts. Rather than wasting my time I wrote directly to Ms D Harding CEO Office

Ruth, impressive result and exactly what I've been striving to do but with no success. Any chance that you can post the address you used?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure