Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion

Comments

• Hello,

My girlfriend and myself will both be students from September. I am already a student But she is currently working. Does student finance count as income support or is there a way to get on the green deal scheme? We are the home owners.

Double glazing, insulation (loft and cavity wall) and a boiler would be ideal but I cant find anywhere that tells me about my eligibility.

Thanks
  • gaz999 wrote: »
    hi, can anyone help? contacted green deal decemberish and they sent me details of the scheme.rang several places but they either failed to respond or never turned up! .finally found an assessor that turned up and did the assessment and charged £249 plus vat (£298.80). next tried to get a provider/installer , two appointments later and no one showed. got a phone call from "vigortas" and they sent their rep. he read our assessment,then informed us that we'd been ripped off, the green deal had finished end dec 2013 and that the people who'd done the assessment were under investigation by the serious fraud squad !
    what can i do next? paid by card but no faith in any other schemes

The Green Deal has not been cancelled and has no planned end date, i can't see that company vigortas listed on the Green Deal Participants Register so they are not officially part of the scheme (if they are on the list and I have mist them I am sorry)

Yes you were ripped off paying that much for a Green Deal assessment, you shouldn't have to pay more than £150.

However if you have an Green Deal Advice Report they've done nothing wrong, what you should do now is send a copy of this to as many Green Deal Providers as you wish and identify which measures you want to be installed. They should then come back to you with a Green Deal Plan to install the measures.

What measures are you hoping to get installed?
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
  • eco_nick wrote: »
    Hello,

My girlfriend and myself will both be students from September. I am already a student But she is currently working. Does student finance count as income support or is there a way to get on the green deal scheme? We are the home owners.

Double glazing, insulation (loft and cavity wall) and a boiler would be ideal but I cant find anywhere that tells me about my eligibility.

Thanks

From what you have said you won't qualify for HHCRO this pays for a new boiler, however you will qualify for CERO which will pay for the insulation at no cost to you.

So for the boiler and the double glazing you could get this through a Green Deal Plan, the boiler shouldn't be a problem providing your existing one is a non condensing boiler however the double glazing isn't likely to meet the 'Golden Rule' where the repayments have to be the same as or less than the savings they make as double glazing is a bit of a con (energy saving wise)
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
  • gaz999
    gaz999 Posts: 4 Newbie
    captain hindsight
    many thanks for your reply. i'm hoping to get loft insulation and poss a new boiler, i'm in a bungalow that we bought last april that had been empty for some years prior to that and the previous occupier had been in care so any offers for improvements had been missed.the loft insulation is non-existent in places and being a bungaow all heat is lost very rapidly.
    shall persevere after your reply hopefully with luck..
  • Hurdler
    Hurdler Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I had the BG surveyor come round yesterday for the no obligation survey. I apparently don't qualify for free loft insulation but the quote seems reasonable at £225 ... Considering having it done but not really any the wiser as to why my house didn't qualify as a free installation.
    • Mortgage @ March 2008: £194,965 ; Lightbulb Moment: July 2011: £164,926; End Date: March 2033
    • MORTGAGE FREE: September 2015
    • MSE 1p Savings Challenge 2023 #70: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec = £667.95/£667.95
  • nicke20
    nicke20 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i called today and am having a survey on 13th may :) guess it depends on availability and demand in each area :(
    mines on the 19th of june
    I had to apply twice, i asked for evening calls and had all 10 calls from BG before 2pm over a week. So i reapplied, said evening calls and they phoned within 15 mins, (11am):T
  • nicke20
    nicke20 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hurdler wrote: »
    I had the BG surveyor come round yesterday for the no obligation survey. I apparently don't qualify for free loft insulation but the quote seems reasonable at £225 ... Considering having it done but not really any the wiser as to why my house didn't qualify as a free installation.
    I would have asked why?
    more to the point the criteria should be upfront and transparrent
    do you have any in the loft already?
  • Hurdler
    Hurdler Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    nicke20 wrote: »
    I would have asked why?
    more to the point the criteria should be upfront and transparrent
    do you have any in the loft already?

Ahh yes I do - they'd just be adding to it...
    • Mortgage @ March 2008: £194,965 ; Lightbulb Moment: July 2011: £164,926; End Date: March 2033
    • MORTGAGE FREE: September 2015
    • MSE 1p Savings Challenge 2023 #70: Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec = £667.95/£667.95
  • Tom_H
    Tom_H Posts: 614 Forumite
    Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me, My boiler's around 10 years old and I think on the way out (I have a gas engineer friend going to have a look but I thought I should cover all bases!) I looked and I don't qualify for a free boiler - but I was sure I read on moneysavingexpert recently about a scheme where you get a new boiler installed, and this is paid for by the savings on your bill (so if your bill goes down by £50 a month, you still pay that £50 until the boiler is paid off) but now I can't find anything about it - did I dream it or am I just not looking hard enough?!

Thanks
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
  • Has anyone else had problems with government backed cavity wall insulation? My house now has internal damp patches due to problems with the workmanship of the insulation company but the company went into administration. Any advice please would be welcome.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback