Flight delay compensation, all other non-EU airlines

Options

Comments

• NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    Federal wrote: »
    The only problem I see with booking separate segments is if you have checked in luggage. The whole point of doing one booking is that your luggage arrives at your destination, and you don't have to pick them up in transit.

In the Doha example, that would have been problematic to say the least, as in order to get to the carousel you'd need to clear immigration first. Immigration in Doha not only charges for a visa-on-arrival, but also sometimes requires proof of accommodation. I'm not saying that you couldn't do it if you just explained that you're picking your luggage and then you're going back in, but I'm sure it'd raise a few eyebrows and sometimes even maybe lead to a refusal of entry.

Is there any way of asking for luggage to go to another destination if booking two (or more) individual journeys?

Sorry for my lack of understanding, but I've never done a multi hop. In fact Spain is about as far as I travel these days but out of interest...

If you fly mutli hop, on a 'twin' ticket from Uk to other side of the world, have a stop over, surely your hold luggage would be transferred onto the second hop aircraft by ground crew? Is that not the case? So I take it, you have to disembark, get your hold luggage from the carousel and then re board a different aircraft for hop 2. This wouldn't make any difference if you booked two separate flights or did it in one booking would it?

Unless it's the same aircraft and it lands to re-fuel ? Blimey, I know this isn't delay talk but it's interesting to me... If it's the same aircraft are you forced to disembark and re-board if you go down the muti booking route?

Cheers,

NoviceAngel
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • cinereus
    cinereus Posts: 2,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Took over a month and the abuse of a semi-colon is appalling, but finally got a response from AA:
    The first flight was not delayed or directly connecting; as you had to pass through United States Immigration and recheck your baggage.

I understand from Vauban's link that this might be not completely clear-cut but since I purchase a single directly-connecting ticket surely that's not a loophole for them?

What's my next step here?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Assuming you are talking about a EU-US-US connection, if the EU-US flight was not delayed and the entire delay was outside the EU on a non-EU airline, you will find little evidence to state that any EU compensation would be due (this is different from a delayed flight from the EU causing the onward flight to be missed)
    This has been discussed a few times on the boards, the NWNF will not take these cases on
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66337204&postcount=327
  • cinereus
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    Assuming you are talking about a EU-US-US connection, if the EU-US flight was not delayed and the entire delay was outside the EU on a non-EU airline, you will find little evidence to state that any EU compensation would be due (this is different from a delayed flight from the EU causing the onward flight to be missed)
    This has been discussed a few times on the boards, the NWNF will not take these cases on
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66337204&postcount=327

Yes, it was a EU -> US -> non-EU connection. I was denied boarding in the US onto the US -> non-EU part on a single booking.

Even though it's a single ex-EU booking I have no case whatsoever?
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cinereus wrote: »
    Yes, it was a EU -> US -> non-EU connection. I was denied boarding in the US onto the US -> non-EU part on a single booking.

Even though it's a single ex-EU booking I have no case whatsoever?

It's an arguable case that hasn't yet been tested in the (UK) courts.
    I suspect that the airline's barrister would be able to find some case history that gets any claim thrown out.
    One for people with a lot of time on their hands to pursue I think.
  • cinereus
    Options
    Mark2spark wrote: »
    It's an arguable case that hasn't yet been tested in the (UK) courts.
    I suspect that the airline's barrister would be able to find some case history that gets any claim thrown out.
    One for people with a lot of time on their hands to pursue I think.

Thanks. I'd be willing to pursue this myself but it would be better to have some additional legal advice. Are you saying no NWNF firm will take these cases on at the moment?
  • AustinBT
    Options
    Hello,

I tried raising a claim with Air India for a delay of over 9 hours (through resolver).

Complaint text :
    The complaint is in reference to PNR XXXXX booking made for travel from Birmingham UK to Kochi India with a stopover at Delhi for 8 hrs.

The first leg of the flight AI0144 was scheduled to leave Birmingham International Airport UK at 20:00 GMT on 02/12/2014 and reach Indira Gandhi International Airport Delhi at 9:55 IST on 03/12/2014 but instead landed over 9 hours late causing me to miss my connection flight to Kochi.

After a few hours of boarding the flight, it was announced that one of the passengers had a medical emergency, which resulted in the flight landing at Trabzon airport Turkey at around 02:00 AM.
    Breakfast was served at 02:30 for whatever reason and no food or drinks served thereafter. The passenger who was ill was taken off the flight immediately and no further updates were given for another couple of hours.

Then there was an announcement about refuelling the aircraft and again following a few more hours another announcement about extending working hours of the crew on board because it was past the landing time at Delhi.

The flight eventually landed at Delhi at around 7PM IST on 03/12/2014 resulting in me missing my connection flight to Kochi. After standing in a long queue only to find out that there was no flight to Kochi until 6:00 AM IST the next day, I was provided with overnight accommodation in a hotel with rooms in poor condition and had my first meal in 15 hours.

Air India response:
    "As per our records flight AI 114 of 02nd December 2014 departed Birmingham at 20:20 LT which is 10 minutes before scheduled time of departure. However, due to the on-board emergency the flight was diverted to Trabzon Airport Turkey. In this case no compensation is applicable as it falls into the category of extraordinary circumstances."

I understand that a medical emergency can be classed as an extraordinary circumstance but can I not claim any compensation for this ?

Thanks

Austin
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    AustinBT wrote: »

Air India response:
    "As per our records flight AI 114 of 02nd December 2014 departed Birmingham at 20:20 LT which is 10 minutes before scheduled time of departure. However, due to the on-board emergency the flight was diverted to Trabzon Airport Turkey. In this case no compensation is applicable as it falls into the category of extraordinary circumstances."

I understand that a medical emergency can be classed as an extraordinary circumstance but can I not claim any compensation for this ?

Thanks

Austin

Hi Austin,

I don't feel you have a case if I'm afraid.....

While it's rotten what happened to you and your passengers on that flight, it's not really the airlines direct fault, so I would reluctantly say no claim, you could always try Bott & Co's flight checker or EU claims, but this is not one simple case and I would probably agree with the airline on this one.

Sorry,

NoviceAngel
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • AustinBT
    Options
    Thanks Angel.
  • Johnmackem
    Options
    Just to share my experience with China Southern Airlines (CSA)

Booked a flight for my friend and I from Newcastle to Haikou in China departing 20th January 2015. The flight required changes in Amsterdam and Beijing.

The flight from Newcastle to Amsterdam was fine. However on the leg from Amsterdam to Beijing the airline held the aircraft back to allow passengers on another delayed connecting flight to board. As a result the aircraft left Amsterdam 20 minutes late and arrived in Beijing 27 minutes late.

As a result of this delay we missed our connecting flight to Haikou and had to catch a later flight 4 hours later.

On my return I submitted a claim to CSA for 1200 euros on 18th February2015 on the basis that the delay was clearly the fault of CSA. My letter was ignored.

I then emailed the company on 19th March 2015 to prompt them to address my complaint.

Again no substantive action by CSA

On 20th April 2015 I decided to pursue County Court action and sent off my claim together with my £60 fee.

Today I received 1200 euros compensation plus my £60 Court fee.

RESULT !!!

As CSA have only one flight per day from Amsterdam to Beijing, I am assuming that CSA held back the flight in Amsterdam to allow the 30 or so passengers to board from a connecting flight in order to save huge hotel and accommodation costs, whereas there are at least 5 flights per day between Beijing and Haikou meaning we would not be delayed more than 4 hours thus reducing there overall costs

Whatever the reason I am extremely pleased with the result
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure