PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

28 and only just worked out how to run a house!

Options

Comments

• cazgordo
    Options
    lil_me, the unstocking the cleaining cupboard comment made me chuckle. You are right, how is it we have all been conned into buying all kinds of everything to do the same job?
    I'm with you, but my first challenge is to use up all the millions of miracle hair products I have managed to buy in the last couple of years (buy, use for a week, realise it isn't the magic exixr, give up).
  • bluemoon_3
    Options
    fac73 wrote:

I'm 26 and did Home Economics at GCSE but I don't remember doing a great deal of cooking to be honest... there was a lot more theory than practice. I do remember making bread and pizza but that's as complicated as it got.

I think it may vary by education authority. Our lessons alternated between theory and practical. Our exam was in two parts too - a written exam and a practical exam in which we had to choose, plan and make a two course meal.

However, there were lots of things we never learned - how to stock a storecupboard, budget, use up leftovers, meal plan and shop for a week, etc. The theory was far more science-based.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 5 - #1742 :j
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    caz I have a tv box (32" aswell) full of those type of things I am sorting through today, cosmetics & toiletries, most bought some gifts, I've banned myself from buying more until it's gone!
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi All,

Cleaning is getting there - once the damn mould is sorted out!

Mould grows because the house has a damp problem, or is poorly ventilated or unheated. In my parent's house the black mould grew under the wallpaper in the kitchen till the paper peeled back. I had a house with metal window frames, where constant condensation meant they were always wet in winter and needed cleaning every week. All of them.

There is a product on the market which removes mould but it's highly toxic, not the best thing to have in the house with a toddler as it's sprayed on and gets into the air. The thing which I used, and Aggie and Kim used a couple of weeks ago, is diluted bleach and it does a good job. Sponge it on, leave for a while and wash off. In bathrooms, round the sink and bath soak kitchen roll in neat bleach and leave for an hour or so (while toddler has his nap) it's surprising how clean this leaves the sealant round the edges.

It does stink, so not the best thing to do on a bitterly cold day with the windows closed as bleach fumes are also toxic. Unfortunately if you have to leave some rooms unheated or have a problem with damp coming through the walls or condensation because the exterior walls are unusually cold, the problem will recur.
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm 46, and I'm still learning........

Yes, I can cook - stews, bisuits, puddings, fish - and I'm good at it too (so I'm told)

But cleaning - got me totally stumped - what is the point? I used to clean the bathroom when I lived at home, as a surprise for Mum, but I never did it 'right' - never got any pleasure from it, so the whole thing is a mystery to me (but I'm trying hard to FlyLady)
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for that ladies - thank god i'm not the only one!

Even managed to con the cat into moneysaving this week. He thinks he only likes IAMS (ever so expenive cat food) , but conned him into eating Tesco's own by pouring it into the old IAMS bag first. (Ha, seduced by labels just like I used to be.. he'll soon learn!)

:rotfl:
    I must try this with my pair. The female is picky unless its premium ham or Hills cat food its beneath her to eat it.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • dolly_day_dream
    Options
    I am 51 have been OS all my life but still learn from this site. That is what it is all about sharing out knowledge.
    True wealth lies in contentment - not cash. Dollydaydream 2006
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bobsa1 wrote:
    Completely agree.

I'm part of the women can have it all generation and for a long time wasted a fortune on food, threw away left overs and fed kids muck!

Now left overs become soup, very little gets thrown away and I try not to buy as much stuff.

I'm having a massive clear out and been shocked at how much I've got, obviously bought when I beleived the marketing hype that I needed it. I don't

Do have ready meals now and again but trying not too and we all feel a lot better.

Got to say my work mates are shocked and do suggest that it would just be easier to buy it!

You sound a lot like me!;) I wish I'd known all this stuff when I was younger(am 40:eek: ) would certainly have brought my kids up differently and wouldn't have got into debt either! I just didn't have a clue!:rolleyes:
    Still its never too late to learn and I've turned our lives around thanks to OS:T
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • daphne_descends
    Options
    bluemoon wrote:
    I think it may vary by education authority. Our lessons alternated between theory and practical. Our exam was in two parts too - a written exam and a practical exam in which we had to choose, plan and make a two course meal.

However, there were lots of things we never learned - how to stock a storecupboard, budget, use up leftovers, meal plan and shop for a week, etc. The theory was far more science-based.

That sounds great - I don't think my HE teacher ever even used the word 'leftovers'! Unfortunately our teacher was close to retiring, and just seemed bored by it all.

Or, we were such a terrible class that she didn't want to trust us with anything :rotfl:
  • consultant31
    Options
    Charis wrote:
    Mould grows because the house has a damp problem, or is poorly ventilated or unheated.

Mould also grows in a house with too much insulation!

Many years ago, before all this insulating was standard and the windows rattled in the winter, there were far fewer problems with mould. Now that we have double glazing, loft insulation and cavity wall insulation we have no natural ventilation and we're often worried about leaving a window open in case it's an invitation to a burglar.
    I let my mind wander and it never came back!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure