MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Pete bid for Carl's amp on eBay?

Comments

• RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm guessing that Mick is supposed to be Pete? Anyway - yes; I would bid on the amp. Carl was obviously happy to put the amp on Ebay - he is responsible for accepting the site's terms and conditions - and, if I won it for £50, I'd say "Look, mate, I know I won it, but you could get a bit more for it if you put a reserve price on it...". If Carl is happy to get rid of the amp. for that price, then all's well.

Also, if I bid on the amp, it might inspire other bidders and push the price up for Carl.

However, if I did win - and received - the amp for £50, I'd definitely keep Carl in mind if, in the future, I had a decent bit of kit that I didn't need any more.
  • Pete just needs to tell Carl he's seen the amp on ebay and that other similar amps go for much more and would he like to remove the listing as there's no bids and he will help with the relist. Then lightheartedly say that if Carl was happy with £50 he'd buy it off him and bung him a few quid extra, then at least the amp would go to a loving home lol. That way it's said half serious half joking so Carl wouldn't feel any pressure to take the offer up unless he really wanted to.
  • 8ofspades
    8ofspades Posts: 141 Forumite
    Well, I'd talk to him about it.
    Maybe we could strike up some sort of deal - i.e. showing him how to do a proper listing to get a better price for future listings and asking him if he'd be willing to do a deal on the amp - perhaps bidding & paying £50 now if I won (since he was happy to start bidding at that price) and then paying more when I was in a better financial situation. It depends on the level of trust in the friendship, but if it worked then everyone's a winner.
  • Why is this unfair on Carl ? His own starting price still stands at close of bidding, so anyone who gets in first can buy it for £50
  • davieh
    davieh Posts: 21 Forumite
    darquestar wrote: »
    Pete should tell Carl to end the auction early because he is interested in it which he can do as there are no bids on it. Pete should tell him he is a bit cash strapped and that he can pay him a decent price in instalments over a period of time. If Carl is a good enough mate he might even give to Pete. This is a win-win situation. Pete sure aint no mate of Carl's if he is willing to screw him over.

Absolutely right!!! To me its really simple:

Pete's tempted to put in a last minute bid to bag it for £50, but worries this is tight on his mate.

This is only a moral dilemma question because it involves mates. So it comes down simply to how you treat my mates. If it was me, I'd explain all to my mate and suggest if we cut a deal, then we're both better off, then negotiate what works best. Last thing I'd so is try and take advantage of him, and I'd expect the same of him with me.
  • i would bid. i would offer him another £200 tho, yes he listed for £50, but if we don't look after our friends and family, who's going to look after us????
    Boyfriend & I have saved £12K in two years, thanks to careful budgeting and keeping a record of what we spend. I've never paid myself this amount of money before - it feels great!
  • Yes he should bid, if Carl wasn't happy to accept £50 he could have either listed it with a higher starting price, or set a reserve.
  • pippitypip_2
    pippitypip_2 Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2010 at 12:44PM
    If they're friends then no he shouldn't bid.

He should talk to his mate first (preferably a little earlier than with only 1 hour to go!). Pete should tell Carl he's really cash strapped but would love the amp and then ask him if he'd mind if he bid on it, with the possibility he could win it at £50.

We don't know if Carl is cash strapped or not too, but he's putting the amp on ebay with a view to making a fair bit of cash. It's up to Carl as to whether he needs the money and would like to see the auction run its course in case of last minute bidders, or doesn't and in which case stops listing (as no bids) and gives it to Pete for the £50.

pippitypip
    I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok - they know me here! :D
  • If I were in this position I would have no qualms about bidding £200 or even £250. Just cos it starts at £50 doesn't mean it'll end at £50 and with the number of snipers out there now putting in last minute bids automatically there's no guarantee it won't outbid even your higest bid.

If it does go for £50 then I'd offer my mate more for it anyway to be fair, but surely he'd rather I had it for £50 rather than a stranger?
  • awehla
    awehla Posts: 109 Forumite
    Why don't they just come to a deal between them and forget eBay? They charge such high fees these days and I've had a couple of annoying issues with buyers. These guys are friends and should be able to sort something out. I don't think Pete should bid for it as it does seem a bit sneaky trying to get a cheap deal from your friend like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure