PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Packed Lunch for work

Options

Comments

• Caz2_2
    Caz2_2 Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I make 3 packups every morning for hubby and 2 sons ( due to be 4 packups). I have to be organised as you can imagine and they are fussy! Firstly I make my own bread, part wholemeal part white. I buy a piece of smoked gammon weekly and boil it and a joint of beef to use as sliced meat for sandwiches. I make a big stock of muffins and freeze some for later in week.
    I make sausage rolls from frozen puff pastry and skinless sausages and cheese and onion pasties also from puff pastry with just slices of cheese and onion in middle. Sometimes mince beef pasties. A good idea iv'e found for alternative cheese and onion pasties is to add chopped onion and grated cheese to mashed potatoe with seasoning and use this as a filling, they love them. To make it a bit healthier they get fruit, a bag of grapes and a bag of sultanas (little ones). I'm thinking here that they are well spoilt because sometimes they ask for warburtons bread, biscuits (bought) and sliced ham from the shop, of course I comply but buy the savers stuff then they don't ask again. Always works....................
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    There are 2 threads relating to lunch that got moved to different areas in the shake up they are:

Frozen sandwiches:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=16724&highlight=frozen+sandwiches

Soup:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=8146&highlight=soup

They aren't exactly what you are looking for but you might find some more ideas on these threads too.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Austin_Allegro
    Options
    Making sandwiches for work was one of my first steps on the road to frugality - I noticed that people at work where paying up to £25 a week on lunches from sandwich shops. People laughed at my 'ropey old butties' as they called them - but who cares, the joke's on them!

I find that rolls are very easy to do and are more filling than sandwiches.

Another favourite is to cook, say, a curry or something for your supper, but cook a bit more than normal and put the extra in a plastic box (free from the chinese takeaway) and have this cold or heated in the microwave next day at work.
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • littleangel
    Options
    Wow, fantastic suggestions here - thankyou!

Have just joined a gym and am determined to pay for it by saving money on lunch - I'm one of those people who do buy lunch every day which is an incredible waste of money.

But - I'm saving money already by refilling my diet coke bottles at home from a 2l bottle instead of buying them individually from the shops - shockingly this is almost the cost of the gym membership in itself!

Now just need to work on the food side...
  • jenk_3
    jenk_3 Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    LOL Im not asking for a lot am I :snow_laug

I really want to start watching my pennies more this year, this board has been a great help so far but i need a little extra help.

Im cutting the cost of my normal weekly shop by investing in a slow cooker and making some of the yummy recipes Ive found on here, but silly as it sounds my mine food expence is whilst Im at work.

I dont have breakfast before I leave for work (too early and very little time, even less now Im slow cooking) so when it comes to lumchtime im HUNGRY. As I work in a town centre I always end up buying a M&S sandwich, crisps, pop etc or a jacket spud or I go to Gregs. Im spending approx £4 per day!

So Im hoping you guys could come up with some simple, quick, cheap and healthy (I need to loose weight and gain money :j ) ideas for my packed lunch. At work I have access to a toaster and a microwave but I cant really heat up anything too smelly as my bosses wont like it.

Any help would be fantastic

Many thanks

Emma
    :j Trying To Hitch A Lift To Skinnyville :j

Declutter Challenge - 2019 in 2019. 0/2019
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • jenk_3
    Options
    Im obviously not a great cook or that experienced...hence this question.

If I make pasta the night before and put in a basic tom sauce, if I microwave it the next day will it heat through ok or will it go hard?

Thanks

Emma

• jenk_3
    Options
    Wow, fantastic suggestions here - thankyou!

Have just joined a gym and am determined to pay for it by saving money on lunch - I'm one of those people who do buy lunch every day which is an incredible waste of money.

But - I'm saving money already by refilling my diet coke bottles at home from a 2l bottle instead of buying them individually from the shops - shockingly this is almost the cost of the gym membership in itself!

Now just need to work on the food side...

I buy either one bottle or diet coke or one can of diet coke a day - it costs a fortune! Great idea about refilling it - I will do that from now on :p

• jenk_3
    Options
    Queenie wrote:

Thanks Queenie, I always forget about the Mega Index.

Emma

• Iguana
    Iguana Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just what I was looking for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories