Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay for food from the kids' menu?

Options
13»

Comments

• GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    I really wouldn't be worrying about it at this age tbh

I was a chef in a very busy restaurant and tbh the kiddies meals were way too big for a child of that age and if a parent just asked for one sausage - it was given - FOC. We never turned an eye about one £2.99 kids meal being shared between 2 or sometimes 3 children either.

Some children would only eat mash and gravy or soup and gravy - once. again - FOC. As children got more adventurous - a side plate and teaspoon were given as they were fed of the parents plate

The thing was, I worked for an independent and we wanted the parents to return. We didn't care about the minute cost of feeding a child because it meant the parents came back

Now as a grandmother, I have been the other side. Taking my 2 year old grandson with me into Pizza Hut one lunch time for a buffet lunch. I ordered for myself and a soft drink for him. They then tried to charge me for his "meal" which consisted of a bit of cucumber, some sweetcorn, and a slice of garlic bread. I gave them short shift and paid for my meal and his drink and told them very politely where they could go

We were in China Buffet King with my two nieces aged 9 and 2. The two year old ate more than the 9 year old so we had no objection to paying for her. You can't really say that two year olds should eat free when some two year olds can put away enough to shame an adult.

For the record she's tall and has a normal BMI, we got her checked lol.
  • ellendexter
    Options
    I never ordered kids meals till my son got to about 5. Until then I would share my meal with him. Either by asking for an extra plate, or, when he was small, taking his own with me. Bear in mind though, we couldn't afford to eat out very often, every £ counted, and I wouldn't necessarily expect to feel full myself afterwards. If DH was with us then we would order two different things so son had more variety, and we would each 'lose' less of our meals. I never found anywhere unhappy to provide the extra plate, in fact servers often went out of their way to provide small cutlery without being asked. I hate seeing vacated tables with loads of remnants of meals uneaten, its such a waste. Even from age 5, if the kids meal options looked expensive and/or poor nutrition, I would still go for the share option. At 7 now, he's well able to spot and read the kids menu and request his own choices. Though that doesn't mean he necessarily gets them - it can prompt a conversation about healthy food - primary schools do a lot of education about healthy food, so its not the difficult battle you might imagine. Now I might under-order for myself in case he leaves leftovers which need finishing up! Drinks are an often overlooked way to save money and have better nutrition too - tap water all round please - again servers always happy to oblige with this.
  • sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    With my first initially he'd eat some of mine & my husband's meal and then he moved to the kids menu or we'd still share with him e.g. sandwiches & order an extra portion of chips etc.
    When my second arrived they'd often share a meal. Sometimes a kids meal or an adult meal depending on the menu. The kids meals are often as big as an adult portion !
    My children very quickly started rejecting the kids menu when the main menu had much nicer things on offer. Why do restaurants think children only want to eat sausage/fish finger/chicken nugget & chips ?
    Part of going into a cafe or restaurant is the experience of eating out & trying new things. When they are old enough to eat / enjoy what's on the menu then that's when I would give them food I've purchased in that restaurant / cafe. Even if that means sharing a meal because portion sizes are too big.
    Jen
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport