House of Fraser to start issuing replacement gift cards - MSE News

Options
2»

Comments

• Wayland88
    Options
    . I sent my £99 voucher in to London address in August. I know they arrived because I sent them signed for (£6.50, which I got back from Royal Mail because although the assured me it was delivered they couldn’t get a signature) but not heard anything. Certainly no promise of an e voucher. I keep hoping!
  • Chris_McD
    Options
    Well, I have attempted to use my gift card today to find it blocked.
    I have rung HoF to be told I’ve lost £60+ as they needed to be returned by 31st October stating it was in the press.
    Unfortunately I was aware of the takeover but not the gift card issue (we were on holiday 2/3 weeks in October).
    If I had known about returning the card to H of F why would I have attempted to use it today!!!
    It seems so unfair as the card states treat the card as ‘cash’ and keep it safe. Have I therefore been robbed?
  • purcel
    purcel Posts: 1,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Chris_McD wrote: »
    Well, I have attempted to use my gift card today to find it blocked.
    I have rung HoF to be told I’ve lost £60+ as they needed to be returned by 31st October stating it was in the press.
    Unfortunately I was aware of the takeover but not the gift card issue (we were on holiday 2/3 weeks in October).
    If I had known about returning the card to H of F why would I have attempted to use it today!!!
    It seems so unfair as the card states treat the card as ‘cash’ and keep it safe. Have I therefore been robbed?

You have had since August till end of October to send your card in for a replacement, so I'm afraid that you are yourself to blame for not doing it. Sorry for the bad news! There has been quite a lot in the media about it so it's not like they kept it quiet!
  • annemccrory
    Options
    I sent my House of Fraser gift card back to them a number of months ago and finally got an email at the beginning of November advising me that I would receive an e-voucher which had to be used by the end of January 2019. Despite this I have still never received the evoucher and when I emailed customer service (so far ten times) I have received no response. Is anyone else in a similar position?
  • Bano
    Bano Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, I was not aware that the giftcard was being invalidated after HoF went into administration. I was informed only recently when I attempted to use it to make a purchase. A sales assistant says write to them but they have not replied.

It says on the giftcard it is valid for 2 years. Why would HoF not honour that for their customers? Can MSE not negotiate some rights for customers?
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bano wrote: »
    Hi, I was not aware that the giftcard was being invalidated after HoF went into administration. I was informed only recently when I attempted to use it to make a purchase. A sales assistant says write to them but they have not replied.

It says on the giftcard it is valid for 2 years. Why would HoF not honour that for their customers? Can MSE not negotiate some rights for customers?
    When a company goes into administration, all bets are off and anything and everything can change. It gets bought by someone new (as with HoF) and they can choose to honor or ignore the previous companies contracts. It wasn't just people holding a gift card that lose out, entire brands and companies were pulled under and have since been put out of business if not at least partially due to HoF refusing to honor money they owed to them.

All you can do is ask and keep asking. Email, phone, social media, letter, whatever but if they have new rules they may just decide not to and there is no liability on their side to allow any gift vouchers at all. I'm sure you are not alone in your experience.

They did put out a lot in the news when this was all happening and as any company going into administration, gift cards are not usually honored. I think HMV and HoF are the only two I've seen allow them and with HoF it was about sending them in back in October when things started to unravel only to need to wait until December to be sent an online only version (postage is not free).

If you have any vouchers that you are struggling to spend, my best advice would be to keep a careful and close eye on what the brand is doing in case they also end up going in to administration.
  • andiemarie36
    Options
    Exactly the same has happened to me. I have lost £150!
    I have just sent them back with a letter to the London address to be signed for in the hope of something.
  • Rooby19
    Options
    Is there any update on replacements or refunds of gift cards. I have had no acknowledgement since October 2018, but I do have proof of postage. Any idea how to chase this up further please
  • Hammy79
    Hammy79 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all,

I have a HOF gift card that was purchased for me my my mother-law in December 2018 after the annoucement of administration (my mother-in-law hadn't released they were in trouble). Looking at the threads, gift cards had to be sent back before the end of October 2018 to stand ay chance of being swapped for a valid e-voucher.

My question is, why were gift vouchers still being sold after the announcement and where do I stand in getting the voucher swapped for a e-vouher. Do I contact HOF or Sainsbury?

Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport