Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Comments

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    How are you doing, Stoke?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Pyxis wrote: »
    How are you doing, Stoke?

One day at a time! It's the best way I've found of coping really. Last week felt like it was one of the worst of my life, but it's been and gone now and this week is fresh and new. Small wins again.
  • Pyxis
    stoke wrote: »
    one day at a time! It's the best way i've found of coping really. Last week felt like it was one of the worst of my life, but it's been and gone now and this week is fresh and new. Small wins again.

:):):):)
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I feel so hopeless and useless and all I want is my mum.
    I'm trying really hard to keep it together but it feels so pointless at the moment. My lovely, independent, caring mum is pretty much a shell and I don't know whether the rare glimpses of something similar to her are encouraging or one of the cruelest forms of torture going.
    IzHe, my mates and work are all being lovely and very understanding but I just want to know when it's going to stop hurting this much.
  • Pyxis
    ((((((((((((Izzie))))))))))))))

:(:( :(
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Oh Izadora. All the love in the world.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Izadora wrote: »
    I'm trying really hard to keep it together but it feels so pointless at the moment. My lovely, independent, caring mum is pretty much a shell and I don't know whether the rare glimpses of something similar to her are encouraging or one of the cruelest forms of torture going.
    IzHe, my mates and work are all being lovely and very understanding but I just want to know when it's going to stop hurting this much.

My issues pale into insignificance when I read that. Genuinely hope things pick up.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!

Izadora,

Massive hugs.

Its hard. It was horrid hearing my husband during recovery in hospital, (before the stroke he was an archer) saying he wanted to be robin hood. it still makes me cry to think about that today all this time on.

Recovery from a stroke is a long road. It takes time and I know this sounds very strange to say but very tiring for the person. You mum may need a note pad and pen as she may find communicating difficult. Even pictures on a laminated piece of paper. With pictures of food, drink etc on so she can point if she is unable to speak.

I wish you mum a quick recovery.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you all for the good wishes. I was really in two minds about whether or not to go back to the hospital last night but I'm very glad I did. She's still an incredibly long way away from being herself but she was at least a bit more engaged.
    Stoke wrote: »
    My issues pale into insignificance when I read that.

Not to you they don't. Please don't ever feel that someone else having a !!!!!! time somehow invalidates your issues. There are many people having a far worse time of it than I am at the moment but that doesn't make this any less awful for me.

calleyw wrote: »
    Recovery from a stroke is a long road. It takes time and I know this sounds very strange to say but very tiring for the person.
    It doesn't sound strange at all, I can see just how much effort she's having to put in to do something as simple as picking up a glass of water and it must be exhausting. It's one of the things that's worrying me about how much time dad's spending visiting her, I fear that she's trying to stay awake for him when she should be sleeping.
    calleyw wrote: »
    You mum may need a note pad and pen as she may find communicating difficult. Even pictures on a laminated piece of paper. With pictures of food, drink etc on so she can point if she is unable to speak.

Her communication, when she manages to be a part of the conversation rather than staring vacantly into space, is actually pretty good but thank you, I would never have thought of that for when the effort to talk/find the right word is too much.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    It doesn't sound strange at all, I can see just how much effort she's having to put in to do something as simple as picking up a glass of water and it must be exhausting. It's one of the things that's worrying me about how much time dad's spending visiting her, I fear that she's trying to stay awake for him when she should be sleeping.
    On my husbands stroke ward and in rehab everyone was put to bed to have a nap every afternoon.

After a stroke parts of the brain have died due to either a bleed on the brain or a blockage. We take things we take for granted such as picking up a glass of water we do it automatically. You mum now has to think about it now. Rewiring of the brain takes time. Ask about exercises for the drop face and her effected arm and leg. As arms and legs muscles loss can be quick when there is no movement at all. Even if its passive, done by yourself or your dad it can help with the rewiring of her brain.

Her communication, when she manages to be a part of the conversation rather than staring vacantly into space, is actually pretty good but thank you, I would never have thought of that for when the effort to talk/find the right word is too much.

Thats good if she is talking that means her brain is processing stuff. I know its hard, but you need to slow the conversation down a bit, so she can process it and form her replies. But when they become tired it becomes too much hard work. And being able to either write or point to what they need help with. Another thing that might be of use is one of those write on wipe off things the childrens have to to draw on. If your mum is not too tired she could write on there. Its bigger than pad and paper making it easier for her to handle with one hand.

As I said before. If you just need to chat or vent please do PM, I am more than happy to listen you.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport