Pip Assessment At Home

Options

Comments

• Prinzessilein
    Options
    I had a PiP assessment at home...

The assessor may well turn up early- so make sure her son is with her in good time.

As the assessor will probably want to work from a laptop then it helps to make sure there is a suitable plug-socket near their chair so they can plug in.

My mother was with me throughout -and was permitted to answer most questions for me.

Your mother/her son should both be honest with answers - especially when it comes to things like the physical tests...if she can't safely perform a set task then she should explain this...I was lucky here as the assessor noted my difficulties and ended the physical assessment.
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    I had a PiP assessment at home...

The assessor may well turn up early- so make sure her son is with her in good time.

As the assessor will probably want to work from a laptop then it helps to make sure there is a suitable plug-socket near their chair so they can plug in.

My mother was with me throughout -and was permitted to answer most questions for me.

Your mother/her son should both be honest with answers - especially when it comes to things like the physical tests...if she can't safely perform a set task then she should explain this...I was lucky here as the assessor noted my difficulties and ended the physical assessment.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    whambam wrote: »
    Was it Capita or Atos or independent assessment services? Thats good news do you feel it was you that was ready knowing what to say or more of the assessors helping you make the whole process easy I had a positive experience with an assessor's years ago.

She doesn't speak english will they still expect her to answer questions rather than her son?

That's a rather different situation. What would ideally happen is that the assessor would ask the question, the son translate, the mother give her answer, son translate back. The obvious issue is that the assessor can't be certain that the reply given is that of the mother. There would need to be trust on all sides that the answers provided are those of the mother.
    Whether or not the assessor would simply accept answers direct from the son, without the mother's input, is something I can't answer.
  • whambam
    whambam Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    They do I done it before in many situations. They take the interpreters related or not word for it.
  • LocoLoco
    LocoLoco Posts: 420 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was it Capita or Atos or independent assessment services? Thats good news do you feel it was you that was ready knowing what to say or more of the assessors helping you make the whole process easy I had a positive experience with an assessor's years ago.

She doesn't speak english will they still expect her to answer questions rather than her son?

Hi WhamBam, I don't know which company she was from. I do know how to explain my son's problems well (I've been doing it for the last fifteen years) and I had sent in a very detailed form with a lot of supporting evidence - but it was her making the process easy for us that really helped. She understood what my son wouldn't be able to do before she even got there (he has various problems, including intellectual disability so he can't explain his difficulties to other people) so she had a brief chat with him and then asked him a few basic questions, which he couldn't answer. Then she said she was happy for him to go and play and I answered everything else. She understood where I was coming from with his speech problems, processing difficulties and so on (a lot of people don't so they don't understand the impact of a hypersensitivity to sound, for example). But she understood that and recorded it accurately so he was dismissed as just being a bit lazy or head strong (which has happened before with doctors, social workers and education teams). At the end she asked him to do some physical things like touching his toes, I think and a few other things - he doesn't have physical difficulties as such so that bit was all fine.

Hopefully you'll get a good one but I would contact them before hand about the not speaking English bit; I imagine they'll have a procedure in place?
  • whambam
    Options
    Do they ask if they have children or get any other benefits? Pip is separate company now from DWP.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Pip is separate company now from DWP.
    Not sure what you mean by this but claim PIP you contact DWP.
  • whambam
    Options
    I asked an adviser about PIP in the job centre she said it has absolutely nothing to do with dwp its a separate organisation.

However, i don't understand why PIP letters have DWP symbol on it.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    PIP is part of DWP. Not sure what the person you spoke to is talking about but they clearly have no idea.
  • whambam
    edited 14 February 2019 at 5:56PM
    Options
    My mother PIP got closed down as she couldn't speak as she had a ventilator on at the time of the visit. The adviser was rude and stormed out the house. I said I could talk on her behalf, but she informed the dwp called them up and gave my reasons they said they may reconsider another appointment.

There are many people who can't speak due to their condition or age, mental capacity and that's what carers, support workers are for.

I remember years ago I done a PIP for my brother from DLA to PIP and he was in the next room eating breakfast and I actually asked her do you need to speak to him she said no it's okay.The pip claim was successful.

I'm considering making a complaint against the assessor should I or will pip be declined because of my complaint or should I wait until the final decision?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure