Reporting improved condition

Hi there,
I am currently claiming support ESA (contributory), plus PIP on standard mobility and enhanced daily living. I have a variable, incurable condition which has responded quite well to treatment recently.
Please would you advise on the following:

1. What's the best way to notify DWP of this, or if I should wait and see if the improvement is definitely long-term?
2. If my condition takes a downward turn in months or years in the future, assuming my current claim was stopped, would I be able to claim again under the same condition? I recall reading somewhere this was not allowed, but I may be mistaken.
3. Would a GP note be required in support of the notification to DWP?

Thank you for your help!

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Songbird57 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I am currently claiming support ESA (contributory), plus PIP on standard mobility and enhanced daily living. I have a variable, incurable condition which has responded quite well to treatment recently.

1. What's the best way to notify DWP of this, or if I should wait and see if the improvement is definitely long-term?
    2. If my condition takes a downward turn in months or years in the future, assuming my current claim was stopped, would I be able to claim again under the same condition? I recall reading somewhere this was not allowed, but I may be mistaken.

Thank you for your help!
    Conditions do vary but if your conditions have improved enough to change the amount of points awarded for your PIP then yes, you need to ring DWP/PIP and report those changes.

The same applies for ESA, if you know the reasons why you were placed into that group and those reasons now no longer apply because your condition has improved then you need to report that.

If your claim was stopped and it could well stop at least until you're assessed. If in the future your condition gets worse then yes you could make another claim, if your benefits are stopped completely.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Songbird57 wrote: »
    Hi there,

My own view would be to give it a while to see if the improvement is sustained. I think with a variable condition this is reasonable.
    For PIP it is all about impact of illness so yes you can claim again for same condition. For ESA you cannot claim again for same condition if you have been found fit for work - unless the condition has got worse, so you could claim again.
    No.

Thank you for your help!

Hope my inserted comments make sense.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • As above I would tend to wait and see.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Remember that PIP is assessed over a year-long period, and looks at how you are on the majority of days.

From the PIP Assessment Guide (Part 2):
    "Time periods, fluctuations and descriptor choices
    2.1.7 The impact of most health conditions and impairments can fluctuate
    over time. Taking a view of ability over a longer period of time helps
    to iron out fluctuations and presents a more coherent picture of
    disabling effects. Therefore, the descriptor choice should be based
    on consideration of a 12 month period.
    This should correlate with
    the Qualifying Period and Prospective Test for the benefit – so the
    HP should broadly consider the claimant’s likely ability in the three
    months before the assessment and in the nine months after...
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • OP, my son had a fluctuating condition that affected his mobility so he was receiving high rate mobility from DLA (this was a few years ago which is why it was still DLA at that point). He started to improve; I waited three months before I reported it because I wanted to be sure it was a more permanent change but I also kept a diary each day of what he could and couldn't do. I waited until it was clear that he was getting more good days than bad before I informed them (which was about three months from him first starting to pick up a bit) and I kept a diary in case there was any problem from anyone about it - it just made me a bit less worried about what to do. So as others have said, I'd wait but I'd also keep a record in case you need some proof at some point in the future.
  • Thank you all for your helpful replies, and will keep a diary. I am just a bit concerned that DWP seem to want improvements reporting immediately. Please tell me how DIP might find this out, and what would be consequences. It's a question on behalf of others as well as I. Thank you, all, again for being so helpful.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I can understand your concerns as the government website does ask you to report a change of circumstances as regarding an improvement in your health condition.

Have you spoken to your doctor about this improvement and asked their advice about whether this improvement is likely to be long lasting. Difficult for us to comment accurately without knowing your medial information.

In some cases it would be much easier to advise - for example, claimant has an operation which 'fixes' things so should report change of condition.

To be honest, the only way the DWP would know is if someone reported you.

Be guided by your doctor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport