Playing Spotify through an older amp and speakers

I have a turntable at home which I play through a Marantz PM66SE Amp and B&M speakers. The amp and speakers are easily 20+ years old but sound great......is there any way I can connect something which will let me stream Spotify through this kit?

Comments

• What are you receiving Spotify on at the moment?

If it's a phone/tablet you can get Bluetooth receiver adapters, eg this. You'd probably need a 3.5mm-socket-to-twin-phono-plugs adapter lead to connect to the Aux/Line in of the amplifier.

Suggestions here [may include affiliate links]
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • MRGANNET
    MRGANNET Posts: 120 Forumite
    What are you receiving Spotify on at the moment?

If it's a phone/tablet you can get Bluetooth receiver adapters, eg this. You'd probably need a 3.5mm-socket-to-twin-phono-plugs adapter lead to connect to the Aux/Line in of the amplifier.

Yes, just getting Spotify through my phone and playing through a Sonos One but the other speakers will be a lot better. Will take a look at the receiver adapter.....thanks.
  • MRGANNET
    What are you receiving Spotify on at the moment?

Just to check, do I need both of the items you've linked or just 1?
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,649
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sound outputted through a phones 3.5mm socket wont be great quality unfortunately. It’s good enough for most but a trained ear like yours may be disappointed. Taking the raw data signal and putting it through a dedicated DAC will give much better quality if you arent happy with the earphone output.
  • MRGANNET
    Sound outputted through a phones 3.5mm socket wont be great quality unfortunately. It’s good enough for most but a trained ear like yours may be disappointed. Taking the raw data signal and putting it through a dedicated DAC will give much better quality if you arent happy with the earphone output.

DAC....is that what Owain Moneysaver's second link above is?
  • I'd try plugging the earphone socket of phone straight into the amp to start with. You'd probably need a stereo 3.5mm jack to 2x phono plug lead. Probably available in your local Pound shop.

If you're happy with that, no need to spend any more.
  • MRGANNET wrote: »
    Just to check, do I need both of the items you've linked or just 1?

Just one, to convert the amplifier input to bluetooth.

Assuming your phone is already sending/transmitting bluetooth.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Do you not mean B&W speakers? Never heard of B&M, I thought that was a junk shop.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,849
    Homepage Hero I won, I won, I won! I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Senior Ambassador
    Do you not mean B&W speakers? Never heard of B&M, I thought that was a junk shop.

I thought they meant B&O speakers.

OP hasn't been online since last November so I guess they sorted the problem out.

Now I am intrigued, did they mean B&O, B&W or maybe B&M really do speakers :-)
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Did you mean B&W speakers?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport