Buy and Sell forum?

How about a forum for selling secondhand stuff, for when you can't be bothered to ebay it?

Say if you're selling an office chair and someone posts requesting a cheap one, you can get together.

Comments

• Thats a good idea as long as it is done right. The main problems with forums is getting the word out that its there. The idea no doubt would work feeding off this website or I guess just an extra board would be good to start things off too ie. for advertising your gear!
  • raeble
    raeble Posts: 911 Forumite
    I don't know, I think it would cause problems unless it was handled properly and there were big notices that the site takes absolutely no respondsibility for the legitmacy of items bought and sold on the site.
  • Yea it would need to be done right. I know someone who have just sold a shooting scope from a gun forum with simlar layout to this. The biggest attraction is that is free advertising but its important not to let commerical organisations use it.
  • I think the telling words are in the first sentence here "for when you can't be bothered ebaying it"

Like or dislike Ebay it is a business and a big one at that. It costs money to use Ebay because it costs money to run Ebay.

MSE is Martin's business with few paid employees. Most of the Moderators are volunteers as can be read on their signatures. Would you expect them to moderator a board where people are buying, selling and trading for a profit?

Who would sort out the problem when an item isn't delivered or not what you expect? Or when something isn't paid for and the user disappears into the night?

There are forums out there which do offer such a service but it is tightly controlled because they are perhaps profit run unlike Martin's site which for many a month did not. Once Martin did begin to see a small profit this was kindly donated to charity and it is only in the last few months that paid employees have been taken on board.

Fraught with difficulties I am afraid.
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    How about a forum for selling secondhand stuff, for when you can't be bothered to ebay it?

Say if you're selling an office chair and someone posts requesting a cheap one, you can get together.
    Much easier to pop it in your local free-ads :)
  • Salad_2
    Salad_2 Posts: 62 Forumite
    I was thinking of just a free ads listing for bits and pieces. But I suppose there are scammers out there. Oh well.
  • charlie12
    charlie12 Posts: 1,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    While it would be useful in theory, it requires too much work and responsibility to manage properly

A forum as popular as this one is not suitable for something like this, there are too many scammers out there and there will be a lot of disappointed buyers (and sellers!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure