Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion

Comments

• haz25a
    haz25a Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    moggy12 wrote: »
    My experience so far I found a advert in my local midlands newspaper for free boiler if on certain benefits from a company called Northern gas heating so I phoned up had my details had a home check on 20th July about 2 weeks later had a home efficiency check got a call yesterday 23/07/13 saying boiler is being fitted tomorrow on there website they say they use valliant boilers which I have reviewed online and they say they are one of the best reliable boilers so from start to finish just over a month so far very impressed will update after installation later today

Thanks for the update. :) How old is your current central heating system? Did they mention anything about radiators?
  • moggy12
    moggy12 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    just finished did a excellent job my old system was 8.5 yrs old and was a combination boiler but not a condensing one like the new one no mention about radiators
  • kronas
    kronas Posts: 408 Forumite
    to those who have had one fitted what make or model is it ?

can you choose ?
  • moggy12
    moggy12 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    no I couldn't choose make I had fitted was a vallient ecotec pro 28
  • Scottishmummy
    Scottishmummy Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    haz25a wrote: »
    Did they mention anything about radiators?

I have just remembered something the surveyor said. There are apparently two schemes running at the same time. One covers insulation and boilers etc, the other is boilers only. Which one you get depends on your qualifying factors. The one including insulation is paid for by the government not the energy providers although it is the energy suppliers organising the surveys etc. He said to qualify we had to get less then 54 out of 100 points in the energy survey. We got 52.

I had a phonecall this morning to arrange the technical survey now, so I asked which kind of boilers they used. She said Potterton. I mentioned others getting Valient and she said that is a newer, different scheme so I wonder if that is the boilers only one. Don't really know anything about potterton ones.

Anyway our top up insulation has been fitted. Took the guys an hour. Not a huge job as we have what the surveyor called two roof rooms so can't insulate above them. At least the kitchen and bathroom should be toastier :j
    The person who moves a mountain begins by carrying small stones.
    Diet loss starting Sept 2019 0/80lbs:eek::o
    Proud to be No. 47 of the DMP mutual support club
    DFW Nerd #380. Proud to be dealing with my debt
  • Ecodave
    Ecodave Posts: 223 Forumite
    Replacement boilers are installed under the HHCRO (sometimes known as 'affordable warmth') strand of the Energy Company Obligation, where the occupant is in receipt of one of several qualifying benefits, and where the boiler meets the requirements of being 'replaceable'.

Insulation is offered under both HHCRO and CSCO (Carbon Saving Community Obligation) strands, as well as under CERO (Carbon Emissions Reduction Obligation) as a secondary measure.

The Energy Company Obligation imposes on the big six energy companies the responsibility to deliver targeted carbon and heating cost reductions up to March 2015. They are the ones responsible for paying for the measures initially, however, they are allowed to recoup the cost of these measures by increasing everybody's fuel bills. The government isn't paying for any of it.

The bit about needing to score under 54 sounds like gobbledegook to me.
  • GDADEA
    GDADEA Posts: 18 Forumite
    kronas wrote: »
    to those who have had one fitted what make or model is it ?

can you choose ?

This will vary depending on the company you get to do the job, but all should come with a minimum 2 year parts and labour warranty, depending on the installers relationship with the supplier you may get more ( for instance we fit Baxi boilers and offer a 5 year parts and labour warranty). There is also a Vaillant scheme running where certain companies have to fit Vaillant boilers (no bad thing!). That could possibly be where the maximum EPC score bit comes in, but I have not heard of this.

Hope this helps.
  • Scottishmummy
    Ecodave wrote: »
    Replacement boilers are installed under the HHCRO (sometimes known as 'affordable warmth') strand of the Energy Company Obligation, where the occupant is in receipt of one of several qualifying benefits, and where the boiler meets the requirements of being 'replaceable'.

Insulation is offered under both HHCRO and CSCO (Carbon Saving Community Obligation) strands, as well as under CERO (Carbon Emissions Reduction Obligation) as a secondary measure.

The Energy Company Obligation imposes on the big six energy companies the responsibility to deliver targeted carbon and heating cost reductions up to March 2015. They are the ones responsible for paying for the measures initially, however, they are allowed to recoup the cost of these measures by increasing everybody's fuel bills. The government isn't paying for any of it.

The bit about needing to score under 54 sounds like gobbledegook to me.

What I have qualified is for the Scottish Government Energy Assistance Scheme which IS funded by the government NOT the energy companies and that is where the 54 or less out of 100 comes from. Had I not qualified for that I would still have qualified for the new boiler only, under the Affordable Warmth scheme.
  • Scottishmummy
  • haz25a
    haz25a Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Anyone know who makes British Gas "own brand" boilers?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback