PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

One NOT to use....

Options
Our toilet was blocked by...um....solid waste over Christmas (bloomin' sprouts) so I stepped forward with my tried and tested method of clearing such a blockage: a cup full of washing soda followed by a kettle full of hot water. Only this time it cracked the toilet bowl. I had to own up to the landlord who managed to get a plumber out, we had to have a complete new toilet and now we have to pay the £200 excess charge for the insurance. :-[

Comments

• halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    Not so much cracked the bowl as hit the fan then, always happens at the most expensive time of year.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    :o OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

(Is your bathroom North facing? In which case the loo would have been very cold when you added that kettle of water! *shudders* )

Ok, do try the "plunge" method FIRST! Grab a hold of your toilet brush and give it a good, fast, "uppy-downy" motion in the pan to see if the block will shift. Equally good is an unwound wire hanger which you ram in and out frantically and pray that the blockage will "shift" to the rhythm!

Kettle hot water on cold porcelain is *not* my first response ;)

Sorry to hear about that nasty bill - that's a *real* !!!!!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • scrimperjan
    Options
    I know, and I'm hanging my head in shame. Specially as I'm the one in our family who's always banging on about saving money....makes my efforts to recycle the leftovers seem almost futile. However, looking at the bigger picture, with all the terrible news this week, what's a broken toilet?
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    Yes I know what you mean my troubles are piffling compared that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure