PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS things you never thought you'd do.

Options
I never in a million years imagined that I'd feed my family dog food.

Walking past the butchers today I read a sign "Dog Bones 20p donation to *local* hospice" in I popped thinking oooh the dog will like that. Then I discovered how big the bags were and what was inside them. I donated 50p to the local hospice and left with 6 racks of lamb ribs and 4 large pork knuckle joints.

The pork is now in the slow cooker as the basis for soup (tomorrows lunch). The lamb ribs are marinading in the fridge ready to BBQ tomorrow evening. The dog will be very happy with the cooked bones.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Saving for a Spinning Wheel and other random splurges : £183.50

Comments

• wyebird
    wyebird Posts: 755 Forumite
    Options
    Ah well, you should never feed dogs raw pork bones in any case ;)

My thing is getting jittery when people want to throw things away which I would use, so I take them "for the dogs". I do have dogs, though, and sometimes the stuff is for them, meat on plates from meals out etc.

My friend house sat for some people who left Waitrose spinach for the chickens....she ate it and gave them other greens and some out of date Paxo...not sure if they appreciated the irony! :p
  • Mrs_Weasley
    Mrs_Weasley Posts: 335 Forumite
    Options
    moo2moo wrote: »
    I never in a million years imagined that I'd feed my family dog food.

Walking past the butchers today I read a sign "Dog Bones 20p donation to *local* hospice" in I popped thinking oooh the dog will like that. Then I discovered how big the bags were and what was inside them. I donated 50p to the local hospice and left with 6 racks of lamb ribs and 4 large pork knuckle joints.

The pork is now in the slow cooker as the basis for soup (tomorrows lunch). The lamb ribs are marinading in the fridge ready to BBQ tomorrow evening. The dog will be very happy with the cooked bones.

Sorry nothing to add but oh how you made me laugh.........nearly wet myself:rotfl: please let us know how they turn out
    :D I know i'm in my own world~it's ok they know me here!!! :D
    :) "It will be fine" quoted by ....me :)
  • Angelina-M
    Angelina-M Posts: 1,541 Forumite
    Options
    You should never give dogs a cooked bone. There's a chance it could splinter and stick in the dogs throat.

You can however give them raw bones as long as they arent pork, I think that has already been mentioned in another post.

Maybe I'm being picky but I wonder if the butcher is less careful when he handles meat that is meant for the dogs. It could have been left on the side for hours. Our butcher has his dog bones in a bin outside the shop and sometimes it can be a bit 'ripe' smelling. :eek:
  • Purple_Sparkles
    Options
    I was out my freezer bags and reuse them time and time again, it's funny to see them drying on the line.
    I won't buy it if I can make or borrow it instead
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Angelina-M wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being picky but I wonder if the butcher is less careful when he handles meat that is meant for the dogs. It could have been left on the side for hours. Our butcher has his dog bones in a bin outside the shop and sometimes it can be a bit 'ripe' smelling. :eek:

I'm sure once they've been boiled/roasted they'll be just fine ;)
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • Lily-Lu
    Lily-Lu Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good idea:T

I buy chicken frames and backs for the animals. I always smell them first for freshness, and up to now, they've smelt just as fresh as the meat I buy for us. Was thinking recently, I might use some for stock :D
  • skintscotslass
    skintscotslass Posts: 2,860 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry nothing to add but oh how you made me laugh.........nearly wet myself:rotfl: please let us know how they turn out

Me too!!! I had a horrible image of you dishing up Pedigree Chum to the family!!! :eek: :rotfl:
  • Cameron
    Cameron Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    China leading the way - I noticed that they had banned the sale of dogs as food whilst the olympics where on.

Didnt do the same for cats though!:rotfl:

Cameron
    Advice is cheap! Hence their is a lot of it about!
    Try not to be a victim!
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SOrry to say I don't think I HAVE done anything moneysaving that I thought I would never do LOL.
    i spose my 'extreme' moments (extreme to others but not to me) blagging wood off builders for firewood - it was only going in a skip anyway
    making soup out of potato skins
    having toad in the hole for sunday dinner
    using tumble drier fluff to light the fire
    My 'never in a million years' scenario would be to be one of those people walking around with loads of clothes shopping and living off ready meals!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    I never thought I'd roast a free pig's head, and work out if a long handled match would be suitable for scorching off his bristles. But tomorrow's the day folks. Gulp!:eek:;)

Love Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport