My Bankruptcy journey

Hi all,

I recently applied for Bankruptcy last Saturday and then was approved on Monday morning, I have my phone interview booked in for Tuesday morning, a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders and will be even more so after the phone interview.

I had a lot of creditors, 14 to be in fact, with just over 20k owing to them all and it's something I've been trying to sort out for the last year, it was even more difficult when my relationship broke down (12 months ago) and I have 2 young kids too, 12 months on and I now have a new partner who's very supportive of me and I've been able to move forward and this I feel now is me starting afresh with a clean slate!

Now I have a question regarding the process; my I&E doesn't leave me with much left over, in fact, my budget leaves me with -£29 after paying my creditors £28 per month combined, so I don't think I'll have anything to pay into an IPA, which I will find out more on Tues. Once I've had the interview will I have many more dealings with the OR at all?

I would also like to thank everyone on here, there are many informative members on here that make people like myself relieved from certain worries when going through this process or when you receive a letter from a creditor with terminology that you just don't understand. I've not been that active on here but I've read many posts from many members and I just want to say thank you! :A

Comments

• since my BR in december I have had no contact, there was no IPA as i was around £50 over my budget. Everyones BR will be different, some will be straigh forward, some will be more complicated, so it really depends on your circumstances

The interview is nothing to worry about, its basically just going over what you already filled out on the forms, as long as your figures dont exceed there figures all will be ok

Congrads on your BR, now you can start to rebuild your life and move forward :)
  • Thank you and yes that's true everyone's is different.

I see, I was planning on printing out my application so I have it to hand to ensure my figures are the same as what the Or has during the interview. I'll just be glad once that call has took place.
  • i had a print out to hand also, i had 13 creditors (similar to yourself) and had to go through each one individually, they ask when you last used card (month/year), what you spent it on etc, why you used it etc, that took about 25 mins just to cover each of the creditors lol, Its a box ticking exercise after that :)
  • Ok, great sounds pretty straightforward then really, but 25mins each creditor? Could be on the phone a long time with 14 creditors!!
  • Ok, great sounds pretty straightforward then really, but 25mins each creditor? Could be on the phone a long time with 14 creditors!!

Usually around 25 mins in all.....most i've seen a telephone interview is just shy of an hour tops..some i've seen done in a lot less
    Not quite a newbie as you think ;);) (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..:p
    BSC 58 :D
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Hi Maverick

Justo to echo other comments - most of these telephone interviews are very routine exercises. Glad to hear you've found the forum so helpful and I wish you well for the remainder of the BR process.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Thank you both, I was starting to think I could be on the phone a very long time ha!

Once tomorrow is out of the way I'll be a bit more relieved.
  • no i meant 25 mins to go through just the creditors section, my total interview time was around 50 mins
  • Ok so had my phone interview, went well I thought, only lasted 20 minutes in total :undecided and was told I'd hear back in about a week once my I&E has been assessed. One thing I noticed was the lady quoted the OR a few times during the call, which is confusing as I thought it was the OR a was receiving the call from??

One other thing she advised on was about my personal life insurance cover I have, she stated that I'd either have to cancel it or pay £50 so the OR cannot take anything from it in the future, anyone knows about this?

Thanks.
  • The person who called you would be an examiner many of these work on behalf of the Official Receiver who is a bit like the Wizard of Oz!
    I didn't have life insurance but many on here think its a good idea to purchase it back for the sake of £50.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure