How did it come to this?

Options

Comments

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    Couponing should be easy for me, as I can use my claws to cut out the coupons!

Hit the websites as well. There are techniques and sources for coupons to be learned.
    We got a free 30 day trial with YNAB - do you think we should take them up on it?

Some people swear by YNAB, others at it. Personally I use https://www.gnucash.org/ but be warned it's actually an accounting system, though it does have a budget planner built in (which I don't use).

Since it's a fully fledged double-entry bookkeeping system most people would find it complete overkill for what they need, but it sits OK with me.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What a handsome chap you are Ernie.
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Am I missing something ? How do you all know that Ernie is handsome ? I can’t see a pic,x
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    ERICS_MUM wrote: »
    Am I missing something ? How do you all know that Ernie is handsome ? I can’t see a pic,x

Go into your settings and turn on "Show Avatars".
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • erniethecat
    Options
    I have to confess, I have been VERY naughty today. Mum went back to work, and I tried to distract her every way I could. I sat on her desk. I sat on her keyboard. I sat on her notes. I ate her notes. I sat on the desk and went to bite her hands every time she moved them. I was so busy, I missed my afternoon nap, so now I'm really grumpy.

However, mum did awesome. We had our first (ever?) NSD! The grocery man did not come - apparently we are only eating what is already in the house. Fortunately, we have about 3 weeks cat food stored, so she'll starve before I do!!

Okay, we're going to check out some other threads before it's sleepy time!
    Chase: $5,512.91 Citi:$2,592.24 Total: $8105.15
    Paid So Far: $301.85
  • Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Ernie. How wonderful to make your acquaintance. I have a cat called Rufus who is a bit younger than you but just as intelligent. He has been known to be a relevant part of my diary.

About YNAB. There are a few people, myself included on this site who swear by YNAB. It allows you to set a budget and to see where your money is truly going and more importantly, it encourages you to be honest with yourself regarding your spend. Yes it costs £40 a year, but that does not equate to £5 per month. I would recommend the trial. if it doesn't work, there is no loss to your human owner. Be warned, it needs perseverance, but when the penny drops it's a fantastic tool that really helps with the finances, more than a basic spreadsheet.

I will follow your diary with interest. Good luck with the encouragement of your human.
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • erniethecat
    Options
    Thank you for all the compliments! I'm blushing!
  • erniethecat
    Options
    I napped too much today. I was asleep and she was terribly naughty.

It started innocently enough. "I need a printer for Toastmasters" she said. Okay, well if her boss is going to start asking about how often she gets printer ink on the company, then, I can see why we need a printer. I did a bunch of research to find a printer that has low ink costs, and we bought it through Swagbucks at Best Buy, and it was $30 off on sale. So that was $65.

Then, it happens that Best Buy is next to Target and we need cereal. And cereal is on offer so, two boxes and we have a coupon so that was $1.50 saved. And soda. I know. We're trying to give it up, but mum is SO craving. And it's on sale, so 4 bottles for $5 instead of $10. Plus 5% off for using the special debit card. Total damage $9.41

I have been coughing up hairballs, so I needed some of that hairball stuff. Using the petsmart card saved $3.60. Total $15.58.

So you're thinking, that's not SO bad. No. It's not. And then, she talked to her friend. And booked a flight to go see her friend. $286.00

Good news - the money came out of a current account, not on a credit card, and there's still enough in there for the rest of the month, assuming we don't buy any more flights. Plus apart from boarding fees for me, she won't spend anything else all weekend because her friend will pay.

The thing is, we do lots of this. Friends, gifts, generosity. And then worry about what we'll do in old age.

Okay, we're not going to change this trip. But we are going to think carefully when we're trying to be generous in future. Because as they always say, put your own oxygen mask on first, right!?!

Now I have a paper towel I must rip into submission ......
  • Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Options
    You are so lucky Ernie. When I go away I put Rufus in a cat hotel. You get to go on planes and on big grown up holidays!

Sometimes, owners need to see friends to touch base and get their head straight. Try being nice but next time you see her fingers hovering over the keyboard, jump on it!
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • Jpc1187
    Jpc1187 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    4th Jan 18, 7:49 AM

JPC1187View public profileSend private messageFind more postsView all thanked postsAdd to contacts

Hi all I'm new to this so bare with me, I have recently applied for a mortgage with my current bank to which was accepted until I was told yesterday that I have a unpaid credit card default back from 2009 which I had totally for got about, the credit card provider was also my current bank which I applied to would this still cause me problems if I was to apply with another lender with it being nearly 10 years old?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure