Where are the wonders of the UK?

Comments

• Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Weve stayed at Laugharne in SW wales close to some of the best beaches in UK . Word of warning thou watch the tide we got cut off and just managed to get the car out the car park before it was unreachable in Laugharne watch the vids on Youtube
  • longforgotten
    longforgotten Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    Bamburgh castle and beach
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Some great suggestions . For me my favorite is the highlands of Scotland and the western isles . stunning and wild . Not a great fan of the lakes or brecons TBH . Snowdonia is just an hour away from me and we have a place down there and we are there most weekends . truly stunning as posted before by 1yorkshirelass . add the castles into that and the isle of Anglesey your on a winner . The Llyn peninsular has many things to do & see
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you want something comparable to Alaska then the Scottish highlands. Always amazes me how few people have been to the really wild parts of Scotland.
  • Tie in a trip to Bamburgh with a visit to Holy Island, but make triply sure you check the tide tables. Most people get excited about the causeway, and the island is beautiful. Good fudge shop there!
    ***Mortgage Free Oct 2018 - Debt Free again (after detour) June 2022***
    Never underestimate the power of a beautiful spreadsheet
  • lilmiss1982
    lilmiss1982 Posts: 1,405 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Yorkshire & the Yorkshire dales.

Lots of amazing scenery, walks, wild swimming in rivers & waterfalls.

Also here's a list of the top 50 free attractions.

http://yorkshiresbestadventures.co.uk/top-50-free-things-in-yorkshire/
    For thousands of people this Christmas, their must-have gift is far more vital than the latest gadget or toy – it’s blood. Please don’t let the festivities and cold weather prevent you from giving them the ultimate gift… give blood.
  • gazapc
    gazapc Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    So many places in a few hours travel, here are a few we have been to in the last 2 years:

Pembrokeshire (area around St Davids) - nice beaches, hills and cliffs
    Gower - similar but prefer Pembrokeshire
    Wye valley - beautiful river, hire a canoe?!
    Lynton/Exmoor area (beautiful) - Watersmeet, funicular railway, valley of the rocks etc..
    Dartmoor - windswept moors, standing stones
    Dorset - Jurassic Coast/Durdle Door/Monkey World/Tank museum!
    Cotswolds - Beautiful small villages
    Shropshire - Surprisingly nice hills and scenery. Interesting museums at Ironbridge
    South Downs - Newest National Park
    Mid Wales
    Mendips - Cheddar is meh - look at Ebbor gorge for a wilder gorge. Wells, Bath and Bristol nearby.
    Quantocks
    Somerset levels
    Lundy - lovely day trip but is a bit of walking

All of the above were weekend camping trips or day trips
    Being slightly further north you could easily reach the peak district.

Have also been to the highlands/Skye for a long weekend but not camping, scenery was incredible.

Also done longer trips to Falmouth, North Cornwall (bedruthan steps, boscastle area), West Cornwall (Cape Cornwall, Minack, Porthcurno), Lizard (Kynance, Cagwith) . We have also been twice to Isles of Scilly (best beaches in the UK) in the last 2 years.

I guess our trips were made slightly easier by not having kids but I still think you can do a lot in a weekend!
    If you do decide to do it camping you can do things to make it much easier, e.g get a decent size tent, use a proper air bed, use a nice thick duvet rather than a sleepig bag etc... Airbnb has cheap accomodation.

There are a series of 'wild' books which might help you out. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wild-Guide-Devon-Cornwall-Guides/dp/0957157320
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    North York Moors and coast. OK I am a bit biased but still..

Just Google Hole of Horcum to get an idea of why I love living here!

Northumberland and Peak District are favourites of ours too.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    Went to Lynton in North Devon last October, which together with Lynmouth down the hill have a lot going for them.

But just outside of Lynton is a place called Valley of the Rocks, absolutely stunning.

Ifracombe is also worth a look at, the town isn't up to much. But down by the seafront, and some of the short walks are spot-on. Plus there's also the Verity statue, which you'll either hate or completely hate it...

verity-statue-damien-hirst-rising-over-harbour-ilfracombe-devon-england-50222726.jpg

...but because it's a Damien Hirst statue it brings in the tourists.

We went to see Verity while in Ilfracombe. OH said "never again":rotfl: on this occasion I agreed with him
  • Stone Henge is lovely day out :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport