Mercdriver wrote: »
    Keep taking the tablets.

Has he got cynanide ones?
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    palgrave wrote: »
    Your comment makes absolutely no sense. remapping the ECU for a car requires expertise knowledge and very expensive equipment - something you can't do.

You really can do it yourself, but i never ghave and wouldn;t want to risk it.
    liltzero wrote: »
    There are no negatives.

Cockwombling twaddle spouter.
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    mcpitman wrote: »
    You really can do it yourself, but i never ghave and wouldn;t want to risk it.

My 2010 Mk2 Focus ST is mapped with my Dreamscience Stratagem Ultra device, been running the DSCI map for the last 5 years, everything else stock. I've had no problems and it totally transforms the performance of the car.
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Johno100 wrote: »
    My 2010 Mk2 Focus ST is mapped with my Dreamscience Stratagem Ultra device, been running the DSCI map for the last 5 years, everything else stock. I've had no problems and it totally transforms the performance of the car.

I know you can do it yourself and Bluiefin type devices allow that, but i don;t have the Kahuna's to do it!

My own car is mapped, but was done professionally on a rolling road, I've never had any issues and my car has run like a dream for the last 90k miles with the map on.

I don't use the map to it's full extent (I don't drive like a loony), but the power is there when/if I need it, the torque is awesome and the fuel economy has improved significantly.
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    EdGasketTheSecond Posts: 2,558
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 May 2017 at 9:09AM
    Your comment makes absolutely no sense. remapping the ECU for a car requires expertise knowledge and very expensive equipment - something you can't do.

I've seen chavs in hoodies who can't string a few words together without using expletives revving the nuts off a car with a laptop plugged in and one of them shouting about remapping the ffing ecu ! As has already been pointed out, it only takes a laptop, OBD cable and software available for free (mostly pirated copies) to do.
  • palgrave
    palgrave Posts: 95 Forumite
    edited 12 May 2017 at 10:59AM
    I've seen chavs in hoodies who can't string a few words together without using expletives revving the nuts off a car with a laptop plugged in and one of them shouting about remapping the ffing ecu ! As has already been pointed out, it only takes a laptop, OBD cable and software available for free (mostly pirated copies) to do.
    Then clearly they aren't "remapping" the car properly are they? All they're doing is uploading an existing map on their ECU. A proper tune involves a custom remap with a dyno roll.
  • GarthThomas
    GarthThomas Posts: 164 Forumite
    Why would it possibly need that? Once a company has worked out an acceptable mapping then it will be appropriate for other cars the same.

Look at the C63 that I used to have, the official map doesn't let the throttles open all the way, the aftermarket one does. The rest of the official map ensures that it still has the right mixture, so no more work is needed.

How about the examples from above, where the same engine is available with several maps for marketing reasons? Swapping from one to the other needs no extra work.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Then clearly they aren't "remapping" the car properly are they? All they're doing is uploading an existing map on their ECU. A proper tune involves a custom remap with a dyno roll.

Again, not always.
    The software you can buy for some cars, along with the cable isn't expensive. I've seen people remap their own cars by adjusting things themself, driving it about with a laptop plugged in, checking data, adjusting again then repeat until happy.
    Obviously you can't do it easily with every car, but it's not as difficult as a lot of people think on a lot of cars.
    Why would it possibly need that? Once a company has worked out an acceptable mapping then it will be appropriate for other cars the same.

If all cars were equal, then sure. But as the miles go up and things start to wear or respond slightly different, than a tailored map, although costly is better.
    A lot of generic maps as well can be quite crude as they're built for maximum power and drivability can suffer, where as a tailored one can be set to your preferences...more torque...more top end...better fuel...minimum smoke etc.

My TDi has a fair few engine modifications fitted so a rolling road tailored remap was the way to go to "bring them all together"
    All your base are belong to us.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

You're not tuning it though, nor do you have to.

If you're taking a standard car and remapping it, why would it need a "custom" map done on a rolling road, when someone has already worked out the best map for it?

Yes, if you're changing injectors, de-catting, bigger intercooler, bigger turbo, or whatever, but a standard car = relatively unnecessary.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure