PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• abitofhelp
    abitofhelp Posts: 483 Forumite
    Just googled the panny BM and there is more than one!!!:eek::eek:

Which model does everyone have and is it worth paying the extra? Think I might invest in one of these from my 3P instead of the Actifry as we go through loads of bread:D

just checked mine its SD - 253 approx 6-7 years old, i would also like an actifry
    Grocery Challenge 24th Feb-28 Dec 2012 £2000/£1404
    18th May- 15th June 2012 £100/£75
    Dont Throw Food Away 2012 May £5/0
  • iQueen
    iQueen Posts: 810 Forumite
    Thanks for the suggestion about the pressure cooker iQueen - I will definitely investigate. Was just wondering if you get all the flavours melding in like you do when you cook casseroles in oven for several hours? I must admit I just cook everything in the oven and don't think about alternatives - we don't even have a microwave!

I love my p cooker! It's also good for making jam, marmalade, pickles etc.

Provided the model comes with divider(s) and trivet, the individual flavours of veg do not invade each other - only half a pint of water needed (for veg), which doesn't usually touch them. So, they actually steam.

In a casserole, stew or soup type dish (no trivet/dividers), the flavours meld really well - like when you cook such dishes the day before! Mmmm!

My 30+ year-old Prest!ge Hi-Dome (parts still available on Ama*on/3bay) is probably the best bargain that I've ever bought - £12 new, back then. If you decide to buy one s/h, or get one via Freecycle, make sure the base is flat (ie not damaged by too much pressure) and that it comes with the instruction booklet. (You may be able to download the booklet - many manuals are available online, particularly for kitchen/laundry, other electricals ).

I also took mine camping! The family had a 'proper' cooked meal each evening... on a single gas ring! :rotfl:

AND, NO, I'VE NEVER HAD IT EXPLODE OR SQUIRT FOOD ALL OVER THE KITCHEN! AND I DON'T KNOW ANYONE WHO HAS. :rotfl:
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No food waste since November 2010. :j
    No debts.
  • angelatgraceland
    angelatgraceland Posts: 3,342 Forumite
    edited 12 April 2012 at 1:26PM
    Well I braved it today! I cleaned out my rather large chest freezer-by bagging up all the contents and popping them in the kitchen then rebagging a few of them into the bags for life. I sort it out as a bag for meat, one for veg, one for fish,bread.potato products etc-it works for me! Well at least it started up again! I always worry as its now 16 years old.
    I had to claim for a replacement combi micro from A*g*s yesterday on the extended warranty. Ok I think its a bit of a swizz as the last one was £84.99. They have identical one but they had given it a new catalogue number so its classed as different. Anyway the policy is they refund the original price. Ok-but the new one is £99.99 and identical except for cat no!!!!!!!!!! Aaargh. I dont blame the staff but I blame their head office and their policies. They did get me to buy a bar of choc to bring it up to £100+so they could give me a £10 voucher off off my "new warranty". The old cover is cancelled upon claiming so all is not quite what it seems. Well it cost me £24.99 to swap micros and truthfully I dont feel it should have but at least I have a new combi with a new 3 yr plan for that price. It could be worse-I could be £84.99 down instead. However-I am sorely tempted to write to head office!
    I am fedup with substandard goods and complained to Baco recently re their tubits which I generally have nothing but praise for! They sent me some new ones and the old ones are being returned to Quality control for them to investigate the fact they fell apart in the freezer(the lids)so excellent service from them. Ive also got a washbasket from curver with a design fault I am returning this week. Basically the side where the logo is embedded in the handle is a major weakness and that part has fallen apart-so awaiting new stock to swap it with.
    My philosophy is if its rubbish-let them know!But do it nicely!!!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • TheThriftyScrumpers
    TheThriftyScrumpers Posts: 293 Forumite
    edited 12 April 2012 at 1:30PM
    Hello!
    I hope everyone is well and had a good Easter. This is my first post of the month as we have been away. I am going to aim for £250 for April. Small spend today £6.63 on two gingerbread men for kiddies, milk, rolls, tuna and squirty cream. DD asked for the cream to go on hot choc as a treat.

I have an online delivery coming tomorrow. Haven't done one for a long while but didn't fancy taking the kids so I bashed out an order during my lunch break yesterday.

The rainforest place has pot noodle (curry or beef and tomato) 12 for £6.

NickJW they also had kenco Millicano 6 x refill packs for £12. I remember that you like coffee.

DD has requested fish fingers for tea and DH and I will have hm lasagne and salad.
    GC Mar 11 £437.08Apr 11 £459.26 May 11 £485.52 June 11 £423.79July 11 £409.22 Aug 11 £250.10Sept 11 £396.14Oct 11 £382.37Nov 11 £372.55Dec 11 £332.29 Jan 12 £375.19:Feb 12 £349.58Mar 12 £279.66Apr 12 £249.12May 12 £337.66/Jun 12 £362.58/Jul 12 £317.03/Aug 12 £354.02/Sept £439.72/Oct 12 £210.16
  • Bikingbint
    Bikingbint Posts: 51 Forumite
    abitofhelp wrote: »
    i'm going to invest in meat slicer next month.
    QUOTE]

Hi
    I invested in a meat slicer before Christmas and consider it to be one of the best bits of kit in my kitchen, it is amazing how much further a joint will go when it is sliced properly.:)

Bikingbint
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,835
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Well I braved it today! I cleaned out my rather large chest freezer-by bagging up all the contents and popping them in the kitchen then rebagging a few of them into the bags for life. I sort it out as a bag for meat, one for veg, one for fish,bread.potato products etc-it works for me! Well at least it started up again! I always worry as its now 16 years old.
    I had to claim for a replacement combi micro from A*g*s yesterday on the extended warranty. Ok I think its a bit of a swizz as the last one was £84.99. They have identical one but they had given it a new catalogue number so its classed as different. Anyway the policy is they refund the original price. Ok-but the new one is £99.99 and identical except for cat no!!!!!!!!!! Aaargh. I dont blame the staff but I blame their head office and their policies. They did get me to buy a bar of choc to bring it up to £100+so they could give me a £10 voucher off off my "new warranty". The old cover is cancelled upon claiming so all is not quite what it seems. Well it cost me £24.99 to swap micros and truthfully I dont feel it should have but at least I have a new combi with a new 3 yr plan for that price. It could be worse-I could be £84.99 down instead. However-I am sorely tempted to write to head office!
    I am fedup with substandard goods and complained to Baco recently re their tubits which I generally have nothing but praise for! They sent me some new ones and the old ones are being returned to Quality control for them to investigate the fact they fell apart in the freezer(the lids)so excellent service from them. Ive also got a washbasket from curver with a design fault I am returning this week. Basically the side where the logo is embedded in the handle is a major weakness and that part has fallen apart-so awaiting new stock to swap it with.
    My philosophy is if its rubbish-let them know!But do it nicely!!!
    I say - do write to head office - address to customer services manager. I always complain if I am not happy with a product - I pay my money so want top quality goods and service.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 1277/2024 March - 1384/406
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 First 4 Week Period £11.75/£100 2nd £33.71/£100 3rd £57.13/£100 4th £13.65/£100 NSD - 60
    2024 Craft Makes - 113 Craft Spends 2024 £205.99/£500
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hello!
    NickJW they also had kenco Millicano 6 x refill packs for £12. I remember that you like coffee.

Thanks for this. I tried these at my friends house and the coffee is lovely! :D I'm scared of upgrading though because then I will get used to them and my normal Colombian blend coffee won't be good enough. :p I'll have to do a cost analysis and find out how much it will be per cup and see if it's possible. I could do a huge bulk buy perhaps....
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • abitofhelp
    abitofhelp Posts: 483 Forumite
    Bikingbint wrote: »
    abitofhelp wrote: »
    i'm going to invest in meat slicer next month.
    QUOTE]

Hi
    I invested in a meat slicer before Christmas and consider it to be one of the best bits of kit in my kitchen, it is amazing how much further a joint will go when it is sliced properly.:)

Bikingbint

i work with someone who has one and they get a lot of meat from a joint. i do think its a good idea, we always buy a joint large enough for 2-3 meals and sandwhiches. argos have one on offer at the moment oh gets paid near the end of the month so i will buy one then, or when i get paid next week and claim the cost back from him.
    Grocery Challenge 24th Feb-28 Dec 2012 £2000/£1404
    18th May- 15th June 2012 £100/£75
    Dont Throw Food Away 2012 May £5/0
  • kittywight
    kittywight Posts: 590 Forumite
    £4.65 in co-0p (spinach,ham,butter,hot chocolate)

:)

spent just over another tenner pressies for a babyshower, but not including that on my allowance

x
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Technically our new month starts tomorrow but as I was in town today I did the stock up shop along with normal shop, spending £80 in Tesco and £15 in Coop. Have approx £100 to do the rest of the month, with top up shops for bread/milk (though not for a couple of weeks), FV, and anything else essential!
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure