PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• jammy_dodger
    Options
    THANKS TO ALL THAT RUN THIS THREAD :T
    I am still On Jan thread my total shall finish on 31st and i shall submit it then , i am hoping to stay in budget too :D
    . thanks to this thread it has really made me even more aware of my spending and helped me control those purse strings
    I would like to put down £125 for the month of February please it is shorter and if i stay away from multibuys i should be fine , shall look at my menu and plan around what i have in for the month
    good luck to one and all
    JD xx
  • tracey_h_2
    tracey_h_2 Posts: 57 Forumite
    edited 29 January 2011 at 1:14AM
    Options
    Thanks to everyone involved in running the thread, and to everyone thats posted. I have gained some fab ideas and tips over the last month.
    It was the first month for me last month. Probably over estimated my budget of £400, very rough guess, but will wait till the 31st to declare. Have well stocked everything. Listed and tidied so i know whats there.

Have brought a few good deals over the last week on my household bits of washing powder, comfort, dishwasher tabs ect so should be ok for the next couple of months with that lot.

Please can i be put down for £250 for Feb.

This is for me, DH, DS(8) and DD(6). I include everything i'd buy in the supermarket. Household, basic toilitries and all food.

Thanks again and see you tuesday.

Txx
    £365 in 365 days Dec10-Dec11 Member #36 £92/365.
    Member of the Thrifty Gifty - Money making and Organised for Christmas 2011 boards
    Grocery Challenge Jan £337.17/£400
    Feb £374.24/£250:o March £27.04/£300
  • Mothership
    Options
    Hi There

I just wanted to check with everyone who runs and administers this board, that you don't mind me helping those who want to try my 2nd purse idea.
    As its closely linked to household budgeting, and the GC, I don't think it will in any way have a detrimental effect to the GC.
    I don't want to start a new thread as I feel that on its own the idea needs the back up the GC , and the benefits that it brings to everyone participating.
    Added to that I'm also personally benefitting from this excellent board.

I like the fact that everyone involved, participants included, show consideration, good manners and kindness towards the organisers and other posters so with this in mind I'd like to formally ask permission to help anyone I can with their 2nd Purse.

Also could anyone wishing to try it PM me so I know who they are.

Thank you in anticipation.

Mothership
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • babyboysmommy
    Options
    Thank you for starting up the February thread :) Just in time as I'm off to Tesco today to do our first shop of the month.

To save money once the baby is here I've decided to use washable nappies & possibly washable wipes. If you have any info, experience or advice about them I'd love it if you could post about it on my thread in the family forum... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3009878 Thank you :)
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 January 2011 at 8:58AM
    Options
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone involved in running this thread - it makes a huge difference to a lot of people, me included :T

I so agree:T:T:T:T
    wssla00 wrote: »
    Made these tonight- chicken noodles and they were delicious! I am loving these recipes at the moment! They are really filling too!

I was wondering what to do for tea tonight and these look great (though i won't be having such a small portion lol). Thanks for this
    Mothership wrote: »
    Added to that I'm also personally benefitting from this excellent board.

I like the fact that everyone involved, participants included, show consideration, good manners and kindness towards the organisers and other posters

:T:T:T:T Well said

Welcome to all the people posting and joining the GC for the first time and good luck with the challenge.

I really need to go and pick up one or two bits but i can't seem to motivate myself to go to the shops...this is a first time ever that i've said this lol
  • mummyroysof3
    mummyroysof3 Posts: 4,566 Forumite
    Options
    Can i be put down for £350 again please.

Going to test out a few things this month, am going to invest in some silicone muffin trays and a round cake tin, in order to spend less on cakes and biscuits and make my own, the oven is on most days so will do them at the same time to cool for the next day.

going to keep track of my spending better by keeping reciepts instead of writing down a rough ammount...also going to break it down into food essentials(inc baking and milk and juice), toiletries and cleaning(inc nappies/wipes) snacks, drinks(non essential) and pet items

does anyone else do this?

May also look at amazon as i didnt know they sold food, i only ever looked at nappies/wipes
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • Mrs_Toast
    Mrs_Toast Posts: 450 Forumite
    Options
    Morning everyone,

I thought as I was being so successful with the FLYlady thread, I'd try the grocery challenge once again and maybe be more successful :rotfl:

Could I be put down for 200 for the month please. This covers 2 adults and a toddler. This includes all food, drink, toiletries, cleaning stuff and nappies. We are going to try L*dl's nappies as a friend recommended them so that might save us some money:money:
    TOTAL DEBT £12,212.46/£2000 paid off
    Debt Free Goal September 2017
    #106 Emergency Fund £482.53/£1000
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 January 2011 at 4:21PM
    Options
    Morning all,
    Next time I spend any grocery money should be in Feb (weekly shop 4/2) so will move over here now!
    Just a reminder, please put your budgets in red, and ideally bold, so MrsM can see them! Thanks :D
    Finally just to say I have been reading about this 2nd (and 3rd ?) purse idea (here, here and here), just to say I am not sure I could be bothered with all that :cool:. I prefer just to set a realistic budget which allows for a little stocking up on a certain item if need be, and run a reasonable store (where I have a use and replace policy). I keep my money for different budgets in envelopes in a small plastic holder in my bag and it works well, taking the weekly GC money into my purse as I need it! The 'purses' idea might well work for some of you, as it clearly does with Mothership ;) :T, but if you are just starting with GC remember it can help to be very gentle on yourself, take baby steps and not try anything too complicated. Ok, just my tuppence worth, not meaning to put anything down!
    All the best oldies and newbies, and remember it is not a competition!
    Mrs_Toast wrote: »
    We are going to try L*dl's nappies as a friend recommended them so that might save us some money:money:
    MrsToast, I mainly used real nappies on DS but as he was getting near toilet training time, sometimes at night, on holiday or if I was ill I used Lidl, Tesco, Boots, Huggies or Pampers, and found the Lidl ones, certainly then (about 2 yrs ago) to be comparable to leading Brands!

xxx
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• toddles*
    toddles* Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    morning all
    got back from my Holidays yesterday. Lost count of my spending. Ooops. But we had a really lovely time, the weather wasnt too cruel either.
    So February is going to be my super dupa planning month. Ive dug up my old spreadsheet and just finished planing my meals for the week.
    Can you please put me down for £320.
    Thanks guys, off now to spring clean the loft and hopefully come across my old maternity clothes. My waist is expanding already!
    Happy days
  • SilverBird_2
    Options
    February's budget is £200 for food, non-food and toiletries.

(This is for 2 adults, DGD 2 days a week, family at weekends and occasional guests.)
    #Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain #We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us #If you focus on what you have left behind, you will never see what lies ahead - Gusteau/RatatouilleGC 2022: £0/£2,500 total spend
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure