Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Sep 10, 11:37 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    October 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Sep 10, 11:37 AM
    October 2010 Grocery Challenge 25th Sep 10 at 11:37 AM
    Hello everyone!

Welcome to the tenth Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the September 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 27-09-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Page 46
  • Hippeechiq
    Wow! 2 stone!! That's one hell of an achievement. Well done

I envy you your many whoopsies, I don't think I've ever bought one.

The only two big shops I'm near enough to walk to are £idl and Te$co. I've never seen a whoopsie in £idls and Te$cos are sooooooo miniscule that they're insulting.

I expect to get more than a few pence reduction on items that are just about to be past their best or use by dates.

So any money I save has to be when things are on special offer.

Must be interesting to see what you've been buying for almost 24 months - you must have seen a lot of increase in prices.

When I download a proper program, I'd like to create something (I wont say spreadsheet, as I don't know how to do a spreadsheet) where I list all the months of the year, all the items I buy and the price of each item listed under each month...................it'll give me something to whinge about if nothing else..........I really need to get out more
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • wssla00
    RIGHT!!!

I'm declaring. Have a delivery coming tomorrow so that is for next month

OK.... declaring at: £145.65 so not too bad

Will go for £150 for next month
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • sofababe
    Oops.....£2.51 in the corner shop. It was the cats' fault, if they hadn't eaten all their biscuits I would never have gone over there
  • underthestairs
    Hi everyone

I would like to join again, Nov 09 was the last time I did this and since then have been spending stupid money. Between us we have been spending at least £300 and sometimes £400 a month which we cannot sustain and I honestly don't understand how we spend so much. My figure will seem huge to some of you but I will not reduce it too much otherwise it will most probably lead to failure.

My month will run from the 19th (pay day), so I would like to start today as my October Challenge. MrsM, could you please put me down for £250.00.

There is me, OH, 1 fussy old cat and 2 gerbils. This will cover all food, drink, toiletries, cleaning and pet food.

Thanks

UTS
    Last edited by underthestairs; 20-10-2010 at 12:58 AM.
    • boultdj
    • By boultdj 20th Oct 10, 6:58 AM
    • 4,522 Posts
    • 33,299 Thanks
    boultdj
    Managed to spend $42.94 in the last few day's at a mixture of shop's and market.
    Grocery Challenge Nov £300/£50.10
    • cw18
    • By cw18 20th Oct 10, 7:08 AM
    • 8,084 Posts
    • 86,091 Thanks
    cw18
    When I download a proper program, I'd like to create something (I wont say spreadsheet, as I don't know how to do a spreadsheet) where I list all the months of the year, all the items I buy and the price of each item listed under each month...................it'll give me something to whinge about if nothing else..........I really need to get out more
    Originally posted by Hippeechiq
    When you get the software downloaded, give me a shout. There seem to be quite a few MSE members with a copy of my spreadsheet, as I offered to share it/pass it around at the start of this year
    Cheryl
  • MrsEm
    OMG just added on the spends at the weekends Apple Festival...definately need to separate out booze from next month onwards!
    MFW 2011 #170...£3800 OP YTD - need to reconsider my 2011 target (ooops!)...in it for the long haul...
  • moonpixiewitch
    Hi everyone

I would like to join again, Nov 09 was the last time I did this and since then have been spending stupid money. Between us we have been spending at least £300 and sometimes £400 a month which we cannot sustain and I honestly don't understand how we spend so much. My figure will seem huge to some of you but I will not reduce it too much otherwise it will most probably lead to failure.

My month will run from the 19th (pay day), so I would like to start today as my October Challenge. MrsM, could you please put me down for £250.00.

There is me, OH, 1 fussy old cat and 2 gerbils. This will cover all food, drink, toiletries, cleaning and pet food.

Thanks

UTS
    Originally posted by underthestairs
    phew I am so glad I am not the only one !
    Started my own business and loving being my own boss
    march gc 144/230
    • bex2002
    • By bex2002 20th Oct 10, 11:02 AM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 2,142 Thanks
    bex2002
    forgot to add that i spent 74p on a loaf of bread yesterday will have to update my total on my sig, i thought i had done it but obviously didnt so will go find my total and post later.
    £27.76/£2018 in 2018
    • bex2002
    • By bex2002 20th Oct 10, 11:19 AM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 2,142 Thanks
    bex2002
    ok just dont my calcualations and updated my signature, my total is now 111.75. going to be doing a big shop on friday or saturday as my dad is up so i can do a shop with a car as at the moment i am having to walk to the nearest supermarket.
    £27.76/£2018 in 2018
  • triticale
    Quick update, managed minimal spending at the weekend, L!dls and M0rrrisons - stocked up a little on flour, treated myself to a bag of satsumas (£1) and a few grapes (97p) - I go for weeks not eating enough fruit till I remember!

NSD yesterday after having to get some packup bits on Monday night - although it did mean I spotted a nice kilo of 'posh' spuds reduced to 39p to top up my waning potato stocks.

All I need to buy this weekend is pound of mince, milk and some kind of bread product, so I think I can afford to treat OH to a roast chicken dinner on Saturday and bring the leftovers back for lunches next week.
  • XLucky_PennyX
    Ok quick update on my sig, £75.84 spent and £54.16 still in the pot with 11 days to go but hey who's counting!

At the weekend I was given a big bag of veg from my boss, her son had bought it for her at the farmers market but she said it was too much for her and oh - big bag of potatoes, 3 leeks, 2 florets of brocoli, 8 large carrots, turnip and a tangerine?

This has been an absolute God send as I have been able to make 3 batches of soup (lentil dd fav), brocoli and carrot with every meal, mashed turnip is in the freezer, so far we've had boiled potatoes, mashed and tonight roasted.

After such generousity I am not prepared to waste a single thing!!! there is still loads of potatoes and carrots left I think cottage pie is on the cards yum

xx
    August GC £150/£168.02
    September GC £150/£137.50
    October GC £130/£75.84 so far!!
  • adelight

The only two big shops I'm near enough to walk to are £idl and Te$co. I've never seen a whoopsie in £idls and Te$cos are sooooooo miniscule that they're insulting.
    Originally posted by Hippeechiq
    Lidl put stickers on saying "30% cheaper" "50% cheaper" which didn't make much sense until I noticed they put lots of those in a cardboard box next to the cheese with a tiny sign saying "these items are reduced"! I thought it was just like "hey we're cheaper!".
    I got a gammon joint from lidl for ~£2 today because it had a sticker on it but it still has two weeks on the date!

Spent £5.02 on my weekly lidl trip today, gammon, oats, worcester sauce, pepper, soup, pasta and some peppers to freeze(couldn't resist 3 for 79p when it's often that much for one!).
    Definitely going to be over by at least £5 this month as I'll do fruit/veg shop at Lidl this time next week Cutting down meat and no sneaky treats of cans of pop or nut bars should get me under budget next month.

*for anyone after bread flour, Lidl's fabulous 1.5kg bags are 50p atm!
    Living cheap in central London
  • EvieSaver
    Done my weekly SM shop, had to have it delivered as my 2 yr old little boy has chicken pox. I am quite miffed that I had to pay £3.50 delivery charge but I think it was the best thing to do, especially as the night before we didn't get to sleep until 4:30am because he was 'itchy'. Anyway, total (incl delivery) was £59.88 so quite pleased over all. I forgot leeks though which I needed for today's stew so I had to quickly pop to a local shop to buy those so that was an extra 95p.

I'm feeling good as I'm under my £70 target for the week but I've been invited to a friend's tomorrow night so will need to buy some wine, but hopefully still on target.

Good luck everyone, it looks like hard times are ahead - with these cuts affecting us from April next year with CTC and NI. I hope to keep hitting my targets and I'm wondering if I could reduce them a little - I would like to try doing a monthly SM shop and pick up fruit and veg from my local greengrocers as their prices are similar/cheaper. My only problem with this is milk. We currently buy 24 pints a week and our local shop charges double the SM price so would cost a lot more than I would be saving in petrol. Need to do a local search for cheap milk before I can give this idea a try.

• adelight
    My only problem with this is milk. We currently buy 24 pints a week and our local shop charges double the SM price so would cost a lot more than I would be saving in petrol. Need to do a local search for cheap milk before I can give this idea a try.
    Originally posted by EvieSaver
    Is soy milk an option? Own brand is ~60p for a litre and doesn't need to be kept in the fridge until opened.
    Living cheap in central London
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 20th Oct 10, 3:56 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 10,894 Thanks
    Sue14
    Spent £14.89 in A1di today, getting very close to target and still got 11 days to go , but the freezer is full and we have plenty in the cupboards, so we won't starve, lol!
    Weight loss challenge 3/10lbs
    Total weight loss 21lbs

• Chloris
    • By Chloris 20th Oct 10, 4:10 PM
    • 659 Posts
    • 9,479 Thanks
    Chloris
    Done my weekly SM shop, had to have it delivered as my 2 yr old little boy has chicken pox. I am quite miffed that I had to pay £3.50 delivery charge but I think it was the best thing to do, especially as the night before we didn't get to sleep until 4:30am because he was 'itchy'.
    Originally posted by EvieSaver
    OS chickenpox soother: put a couple of tablespoons of porridge oats/rolled oats into a pair of tights/handkerchief/muslin, tie with elastic band and put into a warmish bath with patient. You can squeeze the glop out on the spots to soothe them. My children liked this. Autumn is chickenpox season .
  • Diflower
    Updated sig - eek!
    I had a lovely time though, a treat for me as I had the car for the day. Sadly I call being able to go to the farm shop & MrM a treat

So, £9.01 in f/shop included loads of veg, plus a dozen eggs, and bird seeds (they're worth it for the entertainment value - I don't get out much!). Oh and just 4 sausages, I'm sure that will be plenty for a Jamie-type ragu for pasta for four. They're pork & garlic so will add a lot of flavour.
    Then £7.97 in MrM. More veg - pots, reduced red & white cabbage (25p), mushrooms, liver, chicken wings, odds and ends like flour - and thankfully frozen peppers, they're all about 70p each round here. Oh and reduced muffins for when I find some pork mince to make mcmuffins

Been thinking about the spend vs target though. It's my first month so the target was a guess. Apart from that, I hadn't planned ahead, so it's been hard to come up with meal plans without buying more. Now I'm getting used to it, I think next month will be easier (famous last words!)

• XSpender
    • By XSpender 20th Oct 10, 4:13 PM
    • 3,429 Posts
    • 35,067 Thanks
    XSpender
    Managed a NSD day again today. Was a close thing though as DH suggested fish and chips for tea so I had to review the meal plan off the top off my head and juggle things around to offer a tasty alternative so gammon, egg, HM potato scallops and beans it is. Phew!

Also found out our new kitchen is getting fitted next week, not the week after, so I will use up some of my stock making cake for the fitters but will need to buy extra milk and will need a takeaway one night as I will have no cooker or sink and it will save trying to wash the pots in the bath. I think I have some paper plates some where.
  • Winged one
    The oven got turned off on Monday morning by accident, so it was stone cold when we got home (I had set the timer so it would be hot so could cook pizza fast when we got in). So Im made the chicken and mushroom sauce for dinner Mon, with mash and made enough to make the pie for Tues with a pastry top. Worked fine, and we have the pizza for one night next week instead. And I reckoned the pizza would have taken as long by the time the oven heated up.

I have changed from Tikka to Korma for tomorrow, to use up a sauce from freezer (I will use the yoghurt for dessert instead) as I really really need to make space there. I used up the older chick carcass too and made a really good (really chickeny) batch of stock on Sunday in the crockpot - used 2.5 tubs in the Mon/Tues dinners, and then I froze 2 tubs and have a half one to throw into the Korma (possibly - it might be gone over by then) tomorrow. I also used up half a pack of puff pastry, and I am using the 2 rolls of cookie dough tonight. But there is not a lot of room there at the moment....
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

1,807Users online

Martin's Twitter