Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Sep 10, 11:37 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    October 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Sep 10, 11:37 AM
    October 2010 Grocery Challenge 25th Sep 10 at 11:37 AM
    Hello everyone!

Welcome to the tenth Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the September 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 27-09-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Page 42
    • suzybloo
    • By suzybloo 17th Oct 10, 8:05 AM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 8,740 Thanks
    suzybloo
    Doing not to badly, still have a good stock in, so should just about get there this month. Its amazing how much you use up that possibly would be thrown out - scrapings in a jar, unearthing things from the back of cupboards or deep freeze. I have to update my signature with another 61.
    good luck to everyone its downhill now to the end of the month.............where has the year gone!
    Every days a School day!
    • pepsi-kins
    • By pepsi-kins 17th Oct 10, 8:18 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 1,984 Thanks
    pepsi-kins
    Hi everrone,
    I've had a few little spends this week and am now at 153.25 from a target of 175, but I really do not need anything, freezers are full, cupboards are well stocked, so there is no excuse. I'm having more NSDs lately because i'm just not going near a shop unless I really need something.

I've got a few apples that have gone past their best, so I'm going to try out an apple and cinnamon flapjack recipe, i found, to use them up, later.

Have a good week everyone x
    2018 G/C 2951.61/2250
    Vouchers used 553.23
    Extra money 250
    2019 G/C 2755.64
    Vouchers: 317.51
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 17th Oct 10, 10:11 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Morning gang

i`ve just updated my siggy, DH did the shopping yesterday and spent a huge 5.24 i told him that if it added up to over 7 then he was to put the cheese back which he did so great result.

I did pick up a lot of things in the week so its averaged out ok and i have only one shop left to do before payday at the end of the month so up to now i`m really pleased.

I shall pop to the shops in a couple of days as i need some bits for the doggies and if the flour is still reasonably priced then i shall stock up, the good thing is that i`m keeping within budget and stocking up at the same time, fingers crossed that i`m not counting my chickens.

Have a super Sunday peeps.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
  • mrsbowie
    I think I've done ok this month not really gone over and have 50 left to last till a week on monday, joining this thread has made me more aware of what I'm buying and also made me think about what I'm cooking and how I can get more than one meal out of something, I have the m an s gammon joint roasting as I type which will do for the roast today, ham egges and chips tomorow and pea and ham soup for tuesday, thanks for making this thread
  • adelight
    Just spent 3 on sweetcorn, onions & apples to top up on veg for the week.
    OH has been moaning he wants a proper roast, but nothing's on offer so settled for a 3 1.4kg chicken. I said we could do stew tomorrow as well and he said "if there's any left"!! Just because it's there doesn't mean he needs to eat it, no matter how skinny he is! I'll be happy with a thigh or a small leg but he needs two big legs and will demolish 3/4 a chicken!
    That chicken should feed 4 people easily not just us two, so I'm going to do a mountain of roast potatoes, hide enough meat for a sandwich each for lunch tomorrow and told him i'll prep the slow cooker for chicken & veg soup before work so he can turn it on in the arvo to be ready for dinner.

I did spot lots of good whoopsies in Budgens though, 9 big free range eggs(display until tomorrow, use by next week), cabbage, veg & alpro yogs so I'll be going back at 3 to hope there's some left and they're reduced more :P OH said i'm skanky but I don't care, it's only a five min walk away! And lots of whoopsies crusty bread for tomorrow's soup :P
    Living cheap in central London
    • MrsRogers
    • By MrsRogers 17th Oct 10, 12:07 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 2,882 Thanks
    MrsRogers
    Went shopping yesterday @ Mr T and spent 55 odd. Have updated my sig and have one more shop to go before my month ends.

Going to have to be a cheap shop next week and eat out the freezer week

Im just hoping I come in on budget!!

Thank you ladies for keeping this thread going... in the past I would have just gone out and spent another 60 on shopping without giving it a second thought but thanks to the GC i now now next week is an extra frugal week
    Goal - We want to be mortgages free

I Quit Smoking March 2010
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Oct 10, 12:25 PM
    • 16,953 Posts
    • 145,157 Thanks
    JackieO
    Well finished my quid a day week yesterday and had 1.30 left which went into my holiday pot, back to normal now but still being very frugal anyway.Only 14 day left in this month and I am hoping that I will be able to get through and save at least 50.00 out of my food purse whicch has 108.96 in it. I have a trip coming up to Lille in France iat the end of November I think, and I want some extra cash so I can buy some nice French cheese and odds and ends towards Christmas.I think reading through the posts we are all doing fantastically well this month and really watching every bit we buy. I wish we had a 'pat-on-the -back 'button as I think we should all get one.
    I had an Asda's free mag given to me for October and there are some smashing recipes for Halloween type biscuits and things to make for the kids so I will do that next Sunday for my grandsons as the three youngest are still small enough to go 'trick or treating around the tiny square where they live for half an hour.There is also a a 30p Warburtons bread voucher in there as well which will come in handy this week..keep up the good work chums only 14 days till the end of the month.
    Cheers JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 17th Oct 10, 1:05 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 58,667 Thanks
    sistercas
    spent 5.49 today on 9 cupcakes from co$tco for DD2's birthday on wednesday. they look really nice and are huge
  • scotsaver
    Not posted since Thursday, don't know where the time goes but have managed to stay away from the shops which for me is a small miracle.

Dinner Friday night was our usual Fish, HM chips and mushy peas and last night we had friends over for dinner. There is so much left over that we shall reheat the veg and casserole and roast the leftover potatoes so the Pork I had originally bought for today's Roast dinner we shall have tomorrow instead.

I will need to go to the shops tomorrow as we need eggs and fruit but I will make sure that's all I buy as getting too close to total and still have over a week to go.

Good luck everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• wssla00
    Three more days....three more days....three more days......

An NSD today Got a mahoosive organic chicken with loads of roast veggies and roast potatoes today with the frangipani tarts on Jamie oliver's 30 minute meals with a dollop of creme fraiche. I can't wait to get the book for christmas

Made a load of scotch pancakes this morning and they were yummy BUT I definitely need some more strawberry jam. I must get some in three days. Plus some frozen fruit as HFW has reminded me how much I like compote..... So.... Farm foods here I come!!!

Anyway, enjoy the remaining bit of Sunday- I am off for a week so it's lovely to think no work for a while
    Feb GC: 200 Spent: 190.79
  • adelight
    1.04 on reduced alpro yogs, doves farm wholemeal bread, purple cabbage & green cabbage
    Very happy as I'd run out of bread in the freezer and I love doves farm bread. The eggs are display until tomorrow so I'll pop in on my way home from work and hope I can get them for <60p, fingers crossed I can pick up a cheeky 1 chicken as well
    Living cheap in central London
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 17th Oct 10, 5:16 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 10,894 Thanks
    Sue14
    Spent 22.19 in Mr M's yesterday, and won't be going anywhere near the shops until at least Wednesday.
    Weight loss challenge 3/10lbs
    Total weight loss 21lbs

• Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 17th Oct 10, 5:31 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    Seem to have spent far more than expected just lately so really need to rein it in as of NOW before we do to much damage to the budget.

Have updated signature as best as I can but I have lost a receipt - still will only be a few pence out if anything.

Got loads of cooking apples left so tomorrow will stuff one each with mincemeat and bake them in the oven for a cheap and filling pud.
    Also want to make celery soup tomorrow for lunch as brought two heads of celery cause it was BOGOF
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH 62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
  • seasalt
    Just updated my signature. Have completely wrecked this month's budget - we were away for a few days and had three meals out with different members of the family (OH paid for them) as well as buying snacks/sweeties while travelling. Have resolved to budget ahead for next year but for now have just resolved to stick to 60/week for the last two weeks of the month.
    Jan 2011 GC 300/150.79 (2 adults, 2 teens, working dog, includes food/cleaning/toiletries)
  • Diflower
    First, have updated sig. 26.60 spent yesterday, I had to go somewhere so made the most of it by also going to the nearest town with Lidl! Also finally found Stardrops (88p in Wilkinsons).
    Thanks to all those who mentioned Lidl bread flour, a shame they only seem to do white but I shall use it 1/3 to 2/3 w/meal, 60p a bag is a big bargain.
    Also pleased as the pork shoulder needed for last night's dinner was on offer in Sburys, so bought nearly 2 kilos for 5.13 and have a 500g pack now ready-chopped up in the freezer.
    Today 8 in MrT - veg, white rice, ice cream on offer, plus somehow chunky kitkats (2 packs for 2).

Anyways, the Aromatic Slow-cooked pork last night was really, really gorgeous and so easy! Easy that is, having spent a little while taking off the skin - cooked separately and served as super-crispy crackling - and all the fat I could. There wasn't an awful lot, but it meant the sauce didn't need any skimming. And I cooked it for the dog. The meat I cut into 4 or 5 big bits and a few smaller ones.

So, I did it exactly as per recipe, except I added 2 star anise (a pinch of 5-spice would be nice instead) and some black pepper. Comments on the website said they needed more juice - we had plenty. I debated whether to cook it in a cast iron casserole, or a porcelain one.
    I used the porcelain, and am glad I did, I'm sure the juice would have cooked down more in the cast iron. I was ready with a sieve and saucepan to 'sort out' the juices, but when I tasted, it needed absolutely nothing doing to it. We had plenty each and some over. Sadly no meat left over - we all had a bit more, and a bit more, until it was all gone!

Served it with rice (would've been white as I'm never sure about serving brown to guests) but hadn't enough so a mixture. Plus mange-tout, mushrooms, baby corn, red pepper & spring onions, which I did in a bowl in the microwave with some chopped ginger.
    I shall do it again, many times I'm sure, and will do it in the cast iron as it would definitely be different.

Phew! On that note, back to the kitchen to finish tonight's dinner!
    Oh - will tell you about pudding another time
    Last edited by Diflower; 17-10-2010 at 6:45 PM. Reason: forgot red pepper

• Lindy - Loo
    • By Lindy - Loo 17th Oct 10, 7:56 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 8,403 Thanks
    Lindy - Loo
    Got some good fruit reductions in Coop and very pleased as that is what I went in for - didnt buy anything else!
    Apples, strawberries, raspberries and satsumas all for 3.20
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 17th Oct 10, 8:09 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    another nsd today for me I must run the freezer down for xmas as ive got a meat hamper coming nearer Dec and its choc a block atm.

Forgot to mention the other day that i brought home a massive bag of kellogs rice krispies from work, it was nearly 2 months out of date and the cook was told to throw so i took it, nothing wrong with it and kids are eating it , the other kitchen assistent took one as well
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
    • jammy dodger
    • By jammy dodger 17th Oct 10, 8:22 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 5,384 Thanks
    jammy dodger
    just updated my sig spent 12 in asda they have white bread fllour (own brand ) down to 50p
    cheapest i have seen it so have stocked use by date is months away , just on the look out for cheap butter i have just made my chritmas cake but will be wanting to make and freeze mince pies and prefer butter to make pastry with seem its a special occasion also wat to make hortbread and again butter gives the best flavour
    pleased to see so many keeping on track this thread has really made me watch what i spend
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 17th Oct 10, 8:23 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Evening all! The M&S meal deal chicken was fab - I cooked it in the slow cooker with a bit of leftover white wine, rosemary and seasoning and that's all. (I browned it first in the frying pan - then left it all low all day). We had it with sauteed potatoes and courgettes and some of the leek and cauliflower puree leftover from Friday - it was lush.

There was about 3/4pt of stock left at the bottom which I strained and saved. Then today I made DH's fav chicken rice and cheese dish for tomorrow and used up the stock for the sauce. I also made four individual chicken leek and mushroom pies (I will put the pastry on top tomorrow and cook in oven when I cook the chicken and rice dish) We had a chicken salad for supper and there's enough meat for a round of sandwiches each for our pack ups. All this from a 1.6kg bird! I am really chuffed. I would have used the bones to make stock, but I have plenty left in the freezer from last time so I didn't bother (though I suppose I could have frozen the carcass to use another day for stock making).

Yesterday I took a bunch of bananas back to Mr S. They were ripen at home ones which I bought on 7th October but which were still rock hard and green yesterday despite being placed next to some other ripe ones in the fruit bowl. They gave me my money back (1.39)- then I went to Waitrose and bought a similar sized bunch for 54p - just goes to show W isn't always more expensive!

Took MIL out for a trip to an arboretum this afternoon and it was lovely - blue sky and sunshine and wonderful tree colours. Wasn't free to get in - but not too expensive and really uplifting!

Hope you've all had a good weekend and that you carrying on saving money this week.

Moniker
  • katholicos
    Hey ho me mateys!

Hope you've al had a good weekend. I managed NSD number 13 today for the month and am really pleased. It has been a temptation, especially with wanting to place online orders at bargain food websites but paying over 5 p & p just seems so extreme to me unless there are really unmissable offers on that more than make up for the p and p charge.

So today i was on my tod and ate tuna deli rolls for lunch and ate bacon and cheese toasties for evening meal. Loads of carbohydrates!!! Yum.
    Grocery Challenge for October: 135/200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,028Posts Today

8,117Users online

Martin's Twitter