PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2013 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Made the mistake of taking bf to ASDA to get milk, his birthday cake (no way I could have made one this year) and some Pepsi...90mins later and the grocery budget has 100% gone. Actually there is £0.01 left :/ he does now have plenty of fizzy pop and chocolate though so can't ask for more and we have plenty of meal options as we got some tins of soup, stuff to make lasagnes (2 meals) and some new packet mixes to try.
    I have plenty of quick meal for one options for whilst he's away too.

Particularly annoying as we will need wraps and ham, only £3.00 all together but that's not my point. He needs lunches on Tuesday next week and Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday the week after I think I may use bread from the freezer for Tuesday and then we do have some wraps in the freezer but the other pack (identical) didn't defrost well :/ he will also need cereal bars/ jaffa cakes/ malt loaf for the tournament he's at week after next but he can buy those himself out of his athlete award!

Have told him I'm not buying anything except essentials until then.
    I tried the flour tortilla/wrap recipe that is on the first page tonight, it worked really well and took only 5 minutes. I doubt I'll buy them any more now :)
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Spend of £3.45 on 5kg potatoes from Morrys today.
    Tired after spending the day looking after a 3 year old - exhausted in fact.
    Had HM Shepherd's Pie + baked beans for dinner.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/253
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £45.77/£100 NSD - 75
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £295.23/£500
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Felt hungry tonight so thought I'd try the Baked Potato with HM coleslaw recipe from the first page. It was so easy to make and tasted fantastic. Will have it tomorrow again!

Not done my freezer inventory yet as I am shattered after a busy week at work. Will do tomorrow afternoon. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
    January GC 2024 £135/£180
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Does anybody have a recipe for home made puff or flaky pastry please? The one on the first page no longer links.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • Should have been a NSD today but had such a bad day i've ended up going to the shop and buying a packet of wispa bites for £1 from sainsburrys for me and the daughter. Sometimes you just need it don't you?

CP xx
    Slimming World Challenge 2017 0/30.5lb

Grocery challenge 2017 JAN: £5.56/£350
  • One small spend in Mr M this week so far at £9.49. Had 4 NSD (3 consecutive days and today). Also found that my nectar points balance is around £16 so my next shopping will be paid off my balance.
    If my next week goes well I am going to purchase a new kettle as my old one gave up completely (cheap one that served 3 years) and a good reason to use JL vouchers that were collected from Daily Mail (£15) so together a saving of £31 very happy.
    Does anyone have a reliable source on-line as to what food/products can be frozen and for how long?
    Nov GC - £68.48 / £120
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi all,

Spent £68 ish at Ald! today, brains just about to go phuttt, so will look at receipt in morning and post.

Just wanted to say that I bought an orange liquer that was a fiver and it tastes just like the premium brand (well I had to try it - research - just the one)

Over and out x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Thanks for that... Sadly our local Express is the only store which was open when we returned home on Sunday evening (opens til about 11pm on a Sunday I think) so it was all we could do! I normally find some really good YS bargains in there (have had 10p cheese with a month left on the date recently, and whole chickens for just over £1!) but sadly nothing that night :(

Yes I too get loads of good YS from a Mr T express and also my local Sainsbobs.
    I find their offers are all the same as the main stores however so I just shop there very carefully. Do you find that all the smaller convenience stores have higher prices for non-offer items - Sbobs, Sp*r and N1sa etc?
    The good thing is they can also be really good for beer offers when the main stores have run out!!! Very happy hubby when we noticed that one!
    July 16 £95/£200
    Nov 16 £0/£200

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don't need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself." Thich Nhat Hahn
  • My first week of the challenge and I'm showing a spend of £34.38/£40 budget for the week BUT it was the first week of the month and I know last weekend I got some `extras` using my card rather than my food cash purse. This week I will be stricter and leave my card at home!

I've decided I'm addicted to food shopping! Where others buy shoes and bags I don't seem to be able to cope without a full freezer and store cupboard. I reckon my 15 year old son and I could easily live for a month or two with what we have in but I keep on shopping! This thread has really helped me plan a but more and I'm not completely there but I'm much, .much better than I used to be.

Having said all that I'm off to lidl now to stock up on their half price pork loin steaks offer so if anyone has any recipes for them I would be grateful :-)
    January grocery challenge £0/£300

DFW2017 #49 £356/£8031
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Trying the slow cooker rice pudding today. Its been in the slow cooker since 6.30am this morning and is smelling fab already:).
    January GC 2024 £135/£180
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family