PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

December 2012 Grocery Challenge!!!!! REALLLY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Comments

• mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Small spends today £1.80 on eggs

£1 on conditioner
    £1 on kitkats (Los packup)
    £2.10 in MrTs..cheesestrings (on Offer)...SP yoghurts and SP blackcurrant squash.

Will add £6 to sig just to keep things straight

Need teabags tomorrow...none in the house..I dont drink it but Teens are mightily fed up lol xx..must be Y***shire too apparently..hope MrTs are on offer:(
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,716
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sorry I haven't posted much. I'm a bit uninspired at the moment, and the boy has had a tummy bug this weekend, so he hasn't eaten anything much and I've only had a toasted muffin for breakfast and some oven chips this evening. Too tired to face food and definitely not in the mood to cook it.

I have some vegetarian meatballs in the freezer, so I may do a meatball pasta bake later in the week. That was a good idea whoever had it on their meal plan (sorry, no sleep last night). I've plenty of food in, but have one of those pesky £5 off a £40 shop in @sda this week. It would be a shame to turn down £5 of free food wouldn't it?
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,207
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    Sorry I haven't posted much. I'm a bit uninspired at the moment, and the boy has had a tummy bug this weekend, so he hasn't eaten anything much and I've only had a toasted muffin for breakfast and some oven chips this evening. Too tired to face food and definitely not in the mood to cook it.

I have some vegetarian meatballs in the freezer, so I may do a meatball pasta bake later in the week. That was a good idea whoever had it on their meal plan (sorry, no sleep last night). I've plenty of food in, but have one of those pesky £5 off a £40 shop in @sda this week. It would be a shame to turn down £5 of free food wouldn't it?

Sorry wee lad unwell - hope he's feeling a bit better.
    Re the £5 free food - the way I look at it is that it is their way of luring you in and making sure you buy £40 of stuff. I use them if I need to buy the food but I don't use them if I have plenty in or have to have a good think about how I'm going to spend £40 in order to gain £5. Hope this makes sense :). Sometimes life just gets in the way of spending enough to get £5 off. Hope you get more energy.

Spent small amount on milk and bread - enjoying M0rrisons batard at the moment - nice and filling and makes fab lunches for me to take to work.

Have spent about £13 so far this month. Am sure this will change though :p

Off to walk doggie and have early night.
    W
  • Dreamer80 wrote: »
    Hi,

Is it just me or does any-one else find that now we are declaring what we spend on groceries, we are more hesitant to buy things? It's the 3rd day into my month ad I haven't spent anything yet! Likely to change over the next couple of days as I have my eye on some half price Port (for Christmas) and tea bags in the Co-*p ;)

D80
    i yes i agree
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    loving the food photos and your crochet is coming on grand JJ ,i havent started my painting project just yet but will talk about that on shabby chic thread. Well went to butchers as i have a christmas club with him and add 5 quid a week been doing it for couple of months now even though i not doing any of the "dinners" this christmas (my turn last year) i shall keep paying up to christmas week and it will do for into the new year so i will have about 70 quid to start me for 2013 for meat buying . Today i got 2 lbs mince and 2lbs beef sausages and 1 lb chicken breast for £10.20 so have it divided up and frozen will get at least 7 pots of spag bol or chilli thats giving me 3 servings per pot so 21 meals from the mince and 5 dinners from the sausages maybe more depending how greedy we feel, and a couple of chicken pies , may i add that each meal will be well bulked out with veg and lentils thats how it will streeeeeeeeeeech to so many meals. will update sig. Also went into LEEEEDLES cant get chicken legs anywhere even they had run out, i dont mean drumsticks i want the thigh and drummer added on anyone have any ideas ...must be cheap please anyway i have rambled on here too much sorry xxxx
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • XSpender wrote: »
    Thanks MrsCD:)

I am going to prep the fruit to soak in brandy overnight and bake it tomorrow after work. I haven't got any lemon or orange zest to add but I am sure it won't make too much difference. I just hope there I enough brandy as DH has nicked a couple of glasses worth;:mad:

NSD today but need to send DH to Mr T tomorrow for Italian herbs as I have run out and have 2 swede in my veg box this week to turn into ww Italian veg soup as its DH favourite and he has promised some to one of his staff who is very overweight but working hard at losing it.

I was watching Queen Delia on Food Network while baking yesterday and she spoke about a Creole Christmas Cake where you soak all the fruit in booze for a week before baking. I have the recipe and she uses 3 tablespoons each of Rum, Brandy, port, cherry brandy and water!! Then there's 1.5 teaspoons of bitters and vanilla extract.When she did the original programme (20 years ago and sadly I still remember it :o) I remember her saying this was fine to make right up to the last minute. In the book she says it can be served as if it's a pudding with whipped cream too. The recipe is online here.

Best of luck
    SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Thanks for the welcomes :)
    wmf wrote: »
    Re the £5 free food - the way I look at it is that it is their way of luring you in and making sure you buy £40 of stuff. I use them if I need to buy the food but I don't use them if I have plenty in or have to have a good think about how I'm going to spend £40 in order to gain £5. Hope this makes sense :). Sometimes life just gets in the way of spending enough to get £5 off. Hope you get more energy.

I agree that makes sense :) I had a £5 off T**cos shop which I do online, I bought the heavy items, that I would need over the next 2 weeks, maybe 3 and used the money off to cover delivery charges. Oh also bought 6 bottles of wine for Christmas and gifts at 25% off. Means with my other shopping I am almost halfway through my budget already but I should only need to do small shops for fresh veg and milk, fingers crossed lol
    Stay at home Mum to DS Oct 2011 and DD Dec 2013
    Grocery Challenge

April 298.08/300.00 NSD 14 May £213.56/£300 NSD 4
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Dreamer80 wrote: »
    Hi,

Is it just me or does any-one else find that now we are declaring what we spend on groceries, we are more hesitant to buy things? It's the 3rd day into my month ad I haven't spent anything yet! Likely to change over the next couple of days as I have my eye on some half price Port (for Christmas) and tea bags in the Co-*p ;)

D80

Yes I agree it really helps to curb the impulse to go shopping.

This is my 18th Grocery Challenge and I am getting quite addicted to saving, or rather getting a real buzz from not letting the SMarkets get my money.:rotfl:
    Slimming World at target
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,716
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    wmf wrote: »
    Sorry wee lad unwell - hope he's feeling a bit better.

Spent small amount on milk and bread - enjoying M0rrisons batard at the moment - nice and filling and makes fab lunches for me to take to work.

Have spent about £13 so far this month. Am sure this will change though :p

Off to walk doggie and have early night.
    W

He's a lot better today thank you and we had a good night's sleep last night. It's not too hard to make up the £40 as my shopping this week should come to about £30 (list made) and I can make up the difference with cat food and cat litter which can just stay in the car boot out of the way and may come in handy if we have snow or bad weather. Not sure when the offer runs out but if I get another one this week my friend can have it.
  • Forgot to add myself. This month's budget is £200.

Did a big stock up shop on 1st of month for £55.82. So at present 144.18/200 remaining.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure