PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• scotmumof3
    scotmumof3 Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi everyone Welcome newbies and good luck:)
    £23 spend for me today (lowest weekly shop ever for 4 adults and a mutt:T). Had HM soup today with HM bread, rice pud and fruit.
    hope you are all well:)
    Debt free as of 29.10.2020 🎉😁
    SPC #73 Feb NSD 0/20
  • Kylieminoag
    Kylieminoag Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sistercas wrote: »
    we are a family of 4 adults , how do you manage on your budget ? mine is way over that and i struggle to keep to it - well done i am impressed :T

Thanks - I'm still a beginner and hope to get it down further.... The story so far:

I tend to buy in bulk (we have a fab cellar) eg a 20kg sack of spuds is £3 or so and we can get through it before they go too soft. Flour I buy by the sack and bag up into loaf size bags. I tend to stick to whats in season or on offer - its a bit of a joke at the dinner table that I never pay full price for anything! We eat very little red meat, very few tins (other than tomatoes and kidney beans) and I never buy ready meals or ready prepared food - always make pastry from scrtatch etc etc. We ignore best before dates and are really committed to using up left overs. I have two small freezers - both with inventories stuck to the door. DH and I both love a "ready steady cook" challenge and often google whats in the fridge with the word recipe afterwards! Being all adults theres no fussy eating.... you eat whats put in front of you and are grateful - or go hungry:D

We limit take aways to one a month and never buy coffee/sandwiches. Toiletries are fairly basic unless they've been given as gifts - (we dont bother with lots of products soap, body lotion, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste and deoderant are all we tend to use) and cleaning products are equally simple eg stardrops, lemon juice, vinegar!

I dislike supermarkets and would rather buy from the grower direct and do at every opportunity. Ald* is the exception to my rule!

Alcohol - we tend to go to France at least once a year with the estate car (we have family there) and fill the boot with as much as we can - last year we got a fab merlot and a lovely cinsault for E16 for 10 litre box and bought over 100 litres :eek:

and most of all - we really enjoy the simple living / frugal challenge. Waste and extravagance just doesnt feel comfortable and we are really content with our lot and dont envy the people who are burdened by possessions. For me life is about creating memories - not aquiring furniture / clothes / big house. Good job really as we cant afford any of those anyway!

And of course - this thread and everyone who contributes are a source of constant inspiration and hope - thanks everyone.:T

Hope that helps - good luck with your own personal journey - and remember if you go over budget.... its not a failure but another opportunity to improve even more than you have already (we all remember the days before we even worked to a budget!!)

Sorry for long post - had my typing fingers on!

Night everyone - sweet dreams and hugs to everyone who would like one.
    x
    K
    DFWNerd 1417
    MFW by 2018 Jan 2012 £186,000 :eek: Sept 2015 £50,000
  • Herbyme
    Herbyme Posts: 720 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Kylieminoag, thanks for that lovely post,:D my heart agrees with you lots but my head is sometimes swayed in a different direction... btw re big bags of veg, I know this sounds tragic but I prefer not to buy carrots, spuds etc with soil on, just being lazy, can you buy big bags that are ready washed?

:question:Question: what am I going to do with the 750g smoked gammon boneless joint I got YS from M&S today? Not that cheap but had just made some pea and bacon soup and was feeling all hammy... all the gammon recipes I can find are either for steaks or big joints. Could I slice it into steaks and cook as per those recipes?

Thanks, goodnight, and big hugs to all those who could use one:grouphug:
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Kylieminoag, thanks for that lovely post,:D my heart agrees with you lots but my head is sometimes swayed in a different direction... btw re big bags of veg, I know this sounds tragic but I prefer not to buy carrots, spuds etc with soil on, just being lazy, can you buy big bags that are ready washed?

:question:Question: what am I going to do with the 750g smoked gammon boneless joint I got YS from M&S today? Not that cheap but had just made some pea and bacon soup and was feeling all hammy... all the gammon recipes I can find are either for steaks or big joints. Could I slice it into steaks and cook as per those recipes?

Thanks, goodnight, and big hugs to all those who could use one:grouphug:

I got a 5kg sack of spuds from Costco and a 10kg sack of carrots from Rosspa and they were nice and clean.

Yes you can slice it into steaks just make sure your knife is nice and sharp.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    NSD here.
    We had HM quiche - egg/cheese/tomato with HM wedges and salad - red cabbage/celery/onion and grated carrot.

6798895888_1106f643eb.jpg

Dinner on my own tomorrow - Mr F on a business trip. I am having a left over Tandoori chicken drumstick - probably with wedges and beans. I also plan another NSD.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/253
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £45.77/£100 NSD - 75
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £295.23/£500
  • FrugalLina
    FrugalLina Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Still not spent anything yet this week, I do need some vegetables though, am down to one carrot and six mushrooms now. I think I will amble to the farm shop tomorrow and see what they have, they usually have plenty. I can't believe tomorrow will be Friday already and my week off work is coming to its inevitable conclusion :( Still, 3 more days left to enjoy.

Today I have spent 7 hours photographing and listing stuff for Ebay and I took next door's dogs out for a very long 2 hour walk again. Consequently my aim of doing some baking hasn't happened so I will do that tomorrow instead. I think I may need to replenish some of my cooking stores and will do a list as I go along, but nothing urgent there, really.

What I do need to get cracking on too over the weekend are my soups for lunches, I have leeks for leek and potato and some sweet potato for my fave chick pea and sweet potato soup. They really make for much cheaper lunches at work (instead of spending a £5 a day for stuff that used to give me horrible indigestion).

I saw my first new lambs today and the sun was glorious - I timed my holiday perfectly!
    31.5/100
  • Ess-six
    Ess-six Posts: 141 Forumite
    Thank you all for your hugs and kind words following on the Feb board regarding my Dad - I'm putting this on here now as I think most of you will have migrated to the March challenge, I'd forgotten it wasn't February now.

Still haven't done me final totals and am only buying bits and pieces at the moment but will keep hold of the receipts and tot then up later

Thanks for the support, it means such a lot

xxx
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    im in again

im declaring £474.85 for Feb so went over by £74.85

im going to have to say £500 for March with it having 5 saturdays.

SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • skilly
    skilly Posts: 922 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Morning all, small spend so far of a £1 for bread :-)
    sealed pot challenge number 31 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 16 £802.00/ 17 £? gold star from sue 🌟
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi everyone

Can I be put down for £200 for March please:)
    Last month went really well with my overall spend being less than half of what I budgeted for (so the rest went in the holiday fund) and my cupboards and freezer and still quite full so there is no point doing a big shop till I need one (I am finding this is the way to go so that I don't buy extras that I don't need) so this weekend I will only need milk and veg.
    This weather is good cos I don't want as much stodgy food and don't feel the need for a pudding (good for my waistline and grocery budget)
    I hope everyone is doing OK
    Have a good March everone
    Cuddles:):):)
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business