PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Grocery Challenge - February 2012

Comments

• I have spent £27.53 this week. I have shopped as wisely as i could. I can't see that i am going to come under budget this month as i have next week to go as well. Well, new challenge will start Friday for me.
    I have some yeast dated Jan 2012, will it still be ok to use? Thankyou in advance.
    FS
    Jan GC £298.62/£300 Feb £298.01/£300 March £331.06/£300 April £69.96/£300
    Learning to accept the things i cannot change
  • Hi all,

Done over budget by £3 odd this month, which is not much compared to how I usually do and I put quite a lot of money into my 2nd purse to start it up so I am happy with that.

I am setting myself £450 again for this month as I think I can stay within this budget long term rather than setting it too low and not getting anywhere. Only problem is I have just spent £105 on half a pig. I am sure it will be worth it and if I can keep in budget after doing this I think I may get a lamb next month (apologies to any veggies) as DH is a serious meat eater.

Helen - I don't mind not being on the list either if it's easier not to, it means I will have to actually remember to update my sig more often.

Have a nice weekend

Eveie
    April GC 9th-7th may £0/£320
  • Hi All

Oops gone over this month..... :o I think i've forgotten to add a couple of small spends to the amount too - Ah well, in theory i'm still much better off than i would be without any budget at all ;) I popped in to Ada the other day and their bread had been reduced to 10p for lovely fruit loaves, granary loaves, cheese rings, etc so they've gone in the freezer - Dont you love a bargain!

So i've decided for March i'll go back to £200

My friends are still in shock that I can feed our family on so little :D
    :j No Debts (Other than HUGE mortgage! :eek: )
    Generally trying to cut back where possible :j
    GC - March £143.82 / £200 Feb £156.03 / £150 Oops! Jan £180.78/£200:D
  • Morning all

Budgets done to here
    Thank you for all the replies so far about wanting or not wanting to be on the list.

My total so far for Feb is £231/£250, I'll be over but not by much as we need a few bits and I'm almost out of Marg

Helen
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • I have some yeast dated Jan 2012, will it still be ok to use? Thankyou in advance.
    FS
    FS - It should be fine. When I started making bread again last month I used all the old sachets and they were ood in 2010!! Not a bad batch in there. I used the first sachet from the newly purchased pack yesterday but as I type I now think I've got a bigger old pack, lurking under the bags in the bread-bin. Off to check now...

BTW I rinse out the opaque bags that cereal comes in to store part-used bread as it keeps it fresh - not sure why though but definitely works - does anyone know why please?

SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Just back from a trip to Aldi and managed to spend £12 - was hoping for £10 but I did buy a big block of cheese rather than a small one and toilet rolls that I forgot I needed.
    That will last me through to next week now and the new budget starts then.
    Well within budget this month:T
    Reducing the budget for next month so will be tougher:eek:
  • I did my last spend of February yesterday and my total is just scraping in at £79.79, I had thought I would be a bit more under than that, but I had a couple of more expensive items to buy such as coffee and tea (I like Earl Grey decaff). A lot of what I bought will provide meals well into March, so I am very pleased.

BTW anyone else who likes Earl Grey tea - Asda have a great price on at the moment, one box of 100 teabags £2.13 or two for £2.50! Excellent and a huge saving on my previous Twinings indulgence. As I only use one tea bag (for two mugs) a day that lot will last me well over six months.

No more shopping for me until next weekend - yay!

Thanks everyone for your kind support as I started this challenge for the first time a month ago, I have learnt so much and you all have been such a huge help.
    31.5/100
  • mh2361
    mh2361 Posts: 21 Forumite
    so far spent £430 for Feb against budget of £450 and still 4 days to go. I'm dead chuffed with myself:). I'll keep budget at £450 for March, I don't want to make it so hard i fail then spend lots cheering myself up!! It includes toiletries, cleaners and small extras eg goggles for DD. and it's so much less than I have been spending on the CC. thanks for all the PMA, you're all so inspirational:T
    MBNA£862/0:) :Santant £115/0:) :Barc £5002/4602 Tesco £1500/0 :) :G £5000/5000 :L £5000/5000 : OD £1231/565
    Debt Tot £18711/15167(feb pd off £3544)
    GC feb budget £450/ spend £470
    march budget £450/
  • Oh dear, haven't done as well as I hoped this month :( disappointed after a successful first attempt in Jan. Think, like some others have noted, that doing a biggish, and not quite as careful, shop at the beginning of the month, after a very tight last week of the month got me off to a bad start. Have got to get some more bits today, which will tip me over the edge. Will update after 29th. Think I will have to set budget at £450 for March, mindful that not only is it longer but we have family coming to stay for a few days.

My DH has started buying his beer and peanuts out of his pocket money, hasn't even asked if I will take it out of my budget - think he knows better!
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,878
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 25 February 2012 at 1:33PM
    Lidl morphed to Morrisons after I heard about their offer of 15p per litre off (and we needed to fill up). £97.66 but this included £1.25 of my pocket money and nearly £30 of stuff we couldn't get from Lidl so would very soon have needed to have done an extra shop. :T Also got lots of YS meat (actually starting to run low in the freezer after taking up GC beginning of Jan). Saved £6.03 on diesel :beer: and busy saving for my £5 M voucher. So £21.78 left, just remembered writing this got people coming round for a meeting tomorrow (so will need go buy some biscuits), friend coming to stay tomorrow evening till Friday who is wheat intolerant so may need to go buy some more little bits. Fingers crossed I can make it :D
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport