PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• majjak
    majjak Posts: 380 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Another little bit to add to my total from shopping yesterday. Mainly bits and bobs to see me through the next week on weight watchers but it's fitting in very nicely with mealplans/budgets - I'm hopefull I can do this on a budget !

No whoopsie shopping for me this week as I've been too poorly to venture out, it certainly makes a difference when you're buying full price items !

Going to be cooking one of my whoopsied turkeys that I got on xmas eve on Sunday, that should do us a few days and whatever is left will go in the freezer for currys/stir frys/stews.

I think I'm going to pop to cash and carry when Feb's challenge starts, to get one of their big boxes of chicken. We go through loads and it's a much, much cheaper way of buying it. It's pretty good too ! Don't get the usual pan full of water with them either. I usually pay approx £6 for 4 chicken breasts which works out about £1.50 per breast, cash and carry I can get approx 50 breasts for £35 (£0.70 per breast) :j.

kylie i hope you're ok, redundancy not a nice thing to go through. DH was made redundant last March and is now in a much better job - I'm a great believer in things happening for a reason so I'm sure something much better is just around the corner for you. Keep positive hunny xxx
    Save £12K challenge 2015 # 173
    £0.00/£10,000
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi All

Small spend of £1.64 to report today on some Broccoli and loose potatoes from Mr S.

I have a couple of sprouting potatoes which desperately need using up, but not enough for tonights meal. The little Mr S near work doesn't do great deals on big bags of potatoes so I thought I would just get what I needed.

Tonights dinner will be the other pack of sausages I got from M+S last week, with mash and onion gravy - EXACTLY the same meal as last Thursday I have just realized - aren't I inventive! Lol :rotfl:

Lunch today will be the same as yesterday - the last wrap with the remainder of cooked chicken and salad.

I need to start looking at the recipe thread for new meal ideas when I get the next shop, since I'm getting a bit bored of my regular after work dinners. I can't do the Mr W shop for this weekend because the delivery slots are all booked up, so I'm going to book it this week due to arrive on Saturday 28th. So next week will just be odd little shops again.
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • Gorgeestwo
    Gorgeestwo Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 January 2012 at 10:34AM
    Options
    Morning
    I haven't had a chance to catch up on this thread yet, but will try to later :) couple of spends yesterday, one for £9.03 in Co-op and £3.84 in Mr T's, neither of them were essentials, apart from milk in Mr T's, but the other things in Mr T's were whoopsied carrots and bread rolls, also the 7.5kg bag of potatoes on offer for £1.99. In Co-op I got the persil and fairy dishwasher tablets they've got on offer and some whoopsied trifle sponges :D
    Pretty much at budget now :eek: just going to do my meal plan for next week and write my shopping list for the weekend (my last proper shop of the month), going to keep it to a minimum, still hoping I can get it in around £400 and I'll be pleased with that :)
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 19 January 2012 at 4:35PM
    Options
    off to costco to pick up the chicken and toilet roll offer . i also need sugar , i tend to bulk buy sugar as it works out much cheaper to do that
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Lunch today is left over tuna and sweetcorn salad with grated cheese on top and dinner tonight is a couple of sausages, a very small piece of steak and mashed potatoes with peas all from the freezer so NSD for me.I am trying to hang on to every penny this month so it can boost my holiday savings Freezer starting to get a tiny bit of room in it now which is good.Still got stacks of tinned stuff in the cupboards though
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    morning all nsd here, dinner is mince and taties i really do need to use up whats in my freezer now so i can fit new stuff in next week :)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 January 2012 at 10:53PM
    Options
    NickJW wrote: »
    ... I need to start looking at the recipe thread for new meal ideas when I get the next shop, since I'm getting a bit bored of my regular after work dinners. ...

you might find some inspiration on the weekly meal plan threads too

aberdeensaver, your Chicken & Chorizo Gumbo recipe is in the index :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • kerri_dfw
    kerri_dfw Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Another tin of stockpile beans for lunch today so that's 64p added to this months total.
    I think I'm having tooooo much fibre with all these beans, so only a half tin today and half tin tomorrow. Hopefully will be feeling less full after that :) although they do say we don't eat enough fibre.
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13 :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]£399,435.91[/STRIKE] £377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: £9000[STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE]
  • Gorgeestwo
    Options
    Have ordered the cats food, added to total, meal plan done and shopping list done, I can't believe how much I'm enjoying being organised and seeing how much we're saving :D
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi....just been out to the coop and spent £4 on some nice fruit and veg....got hm mince pie for tea and yogurt with kiwi and raspberries (both reduced in the coop)....also got some full fat milk reduced to make a rice pudding

i have got a chicken defrosting so need to think of something nice to do with that

have a nice day tess
    onwards and upwards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family