PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• GroinSexyPavement
    GroinSexyPavement Posts: 53 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2011 at 10:46PM
    Options
    Right have bought bread, salami and cheese to try the frozen work sandwiches for OH. If it's a success I'll join in next week :p

Spent £52 in Sainsbugs on the week's shop which I think is ok as it included Guinness, dog food and loo roll.

What should I be expecting to spend for 2 of us plus the dog? (I don't include toiletries, but do include household cleaning bits, dog food and alcohol).
    MayGC:£118/£360 April:£283
    CrazyClothesChallenge:£117
    Piggybank:£1,850
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i knew i wouldn't be able to control myself in te$co i spent £33 on top of my voucher i will get it back in a voucher tho (or most of it) but i'll add it 2 my sig anyway and we had chinese for tea so thats another £8
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • burge23
    burge23 Posts: 74 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2011 at 10:59PM
    Options
    Stuff with too high a water content, like cucumber and tomato doesn't work overly well. I used to do this years ago, when I had a husband (!!), and he only ever had corned beef sandwiches. They freeze well, as do cheese. If I wanted any cuc or tom, I added it in when at work, or had it in a tub, took a bite of sarnie and a bite of tom or cuc!!

I did the freezing bit this week for the first time and it's been great. Just tiger rolls with ham, cheese and mustard mayo but defrosted perfectly. Matched them up with soup made on Sunday and then frozen in tubs. Took the soup out at night for the morning and the rolls out in the morning. I've saved as the canteen would be £8.80 for 4 days. I spent:

4 rolls 49p
    3 sweet potatoes 35p (had been an Aldi super 6 but were still lurking in the veg basket!)
    4 yoghurt 99p
    1 onion 7p (out of super 6 bag)
    cheese and ham pennies!
    4tsp mayo/2 tsp dijon mustard (pennies)
    4 bananas (54p for a 5 pack)

Saved about 2/3 - 3/4 on normal and that was just being organised (for the first time ever!):j

For salad just take it in a little bag and add at lunch. :)

actually I just worked that out and that will save me over £120 a year! :)
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Options
    Just updated my siggy with my £60 spend in Tesc@ tonight. I haven't done a "proper" shop for ages [been getting bits as we need them] but we ran out of fruit and other things so needed to shop

Keep it up everyone - we're all doing well

Helen x

PS Angel and Spiggle - still thinking of you
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    Have had two spends since last posting one for £7.28 and today spent
    £36.81 Have just been looking through today’s receipt and have decided that I could have done without £7.97 of stuff.:( DH decided he HAD to have one particular type of kettle crisp today and they cost a whopping £1.75 :eek: and this is for just one packet, he wont be having them again that’s for sure unless they on a VERY good offer - something like buy one get 6 free!!!

Made a plate pie yesterday and it was thoroughly enjoyed by us all, DH and myself will be having the rest of it tomorrow as DS will be out for tea.

Today we have just had our first ever ‘Almost Vegetarian Curry’ I had just three small chicken thighs in the freezer so cut the meat off the bone and made a curry added onions, mushrooms, peppers, green beans, some broccoli stalks and a few left over potatoes. DH & DS both had seconds so I think it was a success even though while it was being put together I got plenty of comments to the effect of ‘you’ve forgotten the meat’ and ‘has the chicken ran off’ etc etc :p

Have £142 left and 14 days left of this month to get through -
    'can she do it'? YES she can (I think):rotfl: :rotfl:

Good to hear so many of you are playing Te$co/A$da at their own game and long may it continue.:T Unfortunatly not including myself here cause I just know that for some reason or another I would end up doing it all wrong.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    I popped in Tes££ tonight as I had to go that way and Im not usually near one. I ended up buying lots because they were just reducing the meat so I got some great bargains. Got hubby some pyjamas too only to find the security tag still on them tonight! Now removed with pliers-tho I could have popped into work to remove this in the "normal" method. (DD17) made leek and potato soup, victoria sponge, meatloaf and potato coleslaw(saw it on tv last night)and it was all delicious. Now replaced the pork we used with what I bought tonight-freezer is very full-shame I didnt have more room as I could have bought a lot of reduced milk too. Got reduced strawberries so I popped back the ones I had been temped to buy full price-so I spoilt us tonight!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    And spent another $16.53 to add.
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • Candy_Belle
    Candy_Belle Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options

Happy Friday!!!!!!!:j

Just a few spends from yesterday to report

Sainsbugs £9.13 - 9Pk Andrex, 3x6Pk Walkers (on offer) Lemonade and coffee.

Hopefully come in on budget as DH gets paid on monday - but cupboards/fridge/freezer are bare so really gonna have to think about what to eat this weekend! Argh!!!!:eek:

Have a good day everyone x
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May £177.04/£235.00 Apr £237.79/£235.00 Mar £226.16 /£235.00
    G/C - Jan £248.52/£235.00 - Feb£214.72/£235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Right have bought bread, salami and cheese to try the frozen work sandwiches for OH. If it's a success I'll join in next week :p

Spent £52 in Sainsbugs on the week's shop which I think is ok as it included Guinness, dog food and loo roll.

What should I be expecting to spend for 2 of us plus the dog? (I don't include toiletries, but do include household cleaning bits, dog food and alcohol).

Hi GSP,

there are two of us, 1 cat and 2 dogs and this month i have a budget for £120 for us humans and £50 for the animals. This varies a bit sometimes but as i now buy up offers more than i used to it usually works.

HTH

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • M0neysav3r
    M0neysav3r Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options

I would say work out how much you would have spent before the grocery challenge (I just used my bank statement and added up all those supermarket spends!!) and knock a bit off to what you think would be realistic. My budget is for 2 adults, 1 child, 2 cats, 1 dog and includes all food, cleaning things, toilettries, alcohol etc. This is my first month and I don't think i've done too bad (pervious months were £350!) My mistake was not working out how much to spend per week and then seeing how many weeks in the month, so as this is a 5 week month I only have 1 week on allowance left so hoping I have enough in the freezer for that week ;)
    I now mealplan, make my own bread, biscuits and cakes and cook from scratch, and wherever I can I buy 'value/basic' ranges. DH and I both like a bottle of wine or 7 :D so that is where we have struggled this month :o I am however, still proud of our achievements for our first month.
    Good luck to you :)
    :j No Debts (Other than HUGE mortgage! :eek: )
    Generally trying to cut back where possible :j
    GC - March £143.82 / £200 Feb £156.03 / £150 Oops! Jan £180.78/£200:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family