Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Sep 10, 11:37 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    October 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Sep 10, 11:37 AM
    October 2010 Grocery Challenge 25th Sep 10 at 11:37 AM
    Hello everyone!

Welcome to the tenth Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the September 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 27-09-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Page 44
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 18th Oct 10, 5:28 PM
    • 3,430 Posts
    • 35,073 Thanks
    XSpender
    Oh my! I am almost too embarrassed to post my over spending this weekend. The only good thing about it is that I am recording it which I haven't done since June and I am including the coffee and lunch out that we had as well as the wine and beer we bought. I need to get it under control as my maternity pay stops in December and as I was made redundant in May I don't have a job to go back to.

I have menu planned for the next 3 weeks and I only need a little fresh stuff but why do I keep buying stuff that's not on the plan and how do I stop? I must be addicted to grocery shopping
  • scotsaver
    Hi everyone - just updated my total with my little spend today, hanging on in there as I'm determined to make it this month.

Dinner tonight is Roast Pork and all the trimmings, we are a day behind as we used up leftovers yesterday from Saturday's dinner. Pudding is a Pineapple upside down pud, found half a tin of pineapple at the back of the Fridge from Sweet and sour last week, did a sniff test on the contents and all looked ok. Hate throwing anything out, just won't tell the family it's been lurking in there for a few days.

Have a good evening everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• katholicos
    Ate from the garden and freezer today but also placed an order at Big Brands 4 Less. Including delivery it comes to £22.67 which isn't too bad. I don't usually include the delivery charge in my budget but since i gave myself an extra £10 to spend on groceries this month (£110 instead of £100), i am going to include it. I have altered my siggy accordingly.

The good thing about the order i placed is that there is lots of good quality food at knock down prices that will be heading my way over the next couple of days! Hoorah!
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • Hippeechiq
    I used to do this but I used a quick jel sachet rather than a pint jelly; just enough for a sponge flan case (though I think I used the larger one too); I have some in the cupboard...... another dessert sorted for this week

I just check online, 52 in sains, 68p in tesc
    Originally posted by rosieben
    Thanks for that Rosie

68p??!! - blimey....I only pay between 6 & 12p for my jelly

I'd rather make up a pint of jelly, use up how ever much the flan can handle, and pour the rest of the jelly into a couple of glass bowls - OR does it have to be Qu!ck Jel so it sets before making the sponge go all soggy?

Is fruit set in jelly all that all that can be done with a sponge flan then?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm a sponge flan virgin so to speak Could I use frozen summer fruit (thawed and drained) with a strawberry jelly? Or would the black and redcurrants prevent the jelly from setting? (I know Kiwi does for example)
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
    • muffin man 7
    • By muffin man 7 18th Oct 10, 6:37 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    muffin man 7
    should of done update on thursday but due to stupid migraine haven't been able to adjust receipts will update sig in a bit spent a total of £38.97 on food and £15 on non food (which i don't count as i don't buy them all the time so its better if i keep them on a different budget)which leaves me approx£21 to 31 oct and i've got a fiver in the kitty for unexpected spend with 13 days to go i hope it won't be unlucky for me will add £38.97 to running total also my no spends is going good i think the 2 work well together
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
    • TizerCat
    • By TizerCat 18th Oct 10, 7:07 PM
    • 473 Posts
    • 1,903 Thanks
    TizerCat
    OK another £3.71 to add to the Grocery challenge cos I forgot to buy cheese and cooking bacon on Saturday still under budget tho
    Debt at LBM 27 Sept 2010 £40,640.17 Debt now £1700 on one credit card 0% and £4,000 on an Ikea kitchen 0%

Make £10 a day in Oct £235.88/£260 NSD's in OCT 1/15
    • laloopi
    • By laloopi 18th Oct 10, 7:12 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    laloopi
    I haven't posted for a while due to hols but we're up to £190.03. As we'll be having a further £55 of box deliveries then that leaves just £15 discretionary spending until the end of the month. I'm not sure it's doable but going to try!!
    Must get organised and rejoin grocery challenge!
  • katholicos
    Thanks for that Rosie

68p??!! - blimey....I only pay between 6 & 12p for my jelly

I'd rather make up a pint of jelly, use up how ever much the flan can handle, and pour the rest of the jelly into a couple of glass bowls - OR does it have to be Qu!ck Jel so it sets before making the sponge go all soggy?

Is fruit set in jelly all that all that can be done with a sponge flan then?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm a sponge flan virgin so to speak Could I use frozen summer fruit (thawed and drained) with a strawberry jelly? Or would the black and redcurrants prevent the jelly from setting? (I know Kiwi does for example)
    Originally posted by Hippeechiq
    oooh you've just reminded me that i have summer fruits in the freezer....was going to make more jam with them but instead i am going to save them for making a summer fruit pavlova for Christmas Day dessert.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 18th Oct 10, 7:32 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Well hello everyone,

I just thought I'd pop on to say I've updated my sig. OH bought a couple of little bits on Saturday as well as Friday but now all added on. We had NSD yesterday and today so now up to 11 which is ok considering I have another 11 days to go.

My months end on my payday which is last working day of the month so I think I'll get it on Friday 29th this month. We still have a little over £70 to last us, won't need to buy cat food and so we should be OK. Famous last words again!!!

Oooh, I forgot to tell you that our new slow cooker arrived. Got a 3.5 ltr MR for an amazing £19.99 (down from £39.99) from Am**on. We haven't used it yet but will be buying some cheaper cuts of meat later in the week to try it out. It will be a test for me as I'm so finickity about meat (some would say food in general ) and simply can't cope with anything resembling toughness, gristle or the like. I have been known to be veggie for years after having a bad meat meal. Not that it's a bad thing to be veggie mind you.

Yesterday OH made the Golden Lentil Soup from the front page for my lunches in work this week. It is very simple to make but my oh my is it tasty! Absolutely gorgeous, so thank you once again rosieben for keeping the list in order for us.

Decided today that I'm going to take most if not all of next week off - been really hectic in work recently - so looking forward to that. I've got loads to do around the house - an autumn clean - but am hoping I can get a couple of days out with a girlfriend.

Ok, I'm off to put my feet up and enjoy a stunning HM lasagne OH made yesterday.

Take care all and keep up the great work,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
  • BlimusOreilly
    £15.16 spent in Mr M's today - off to update sig.
    DFW Nerd 941 Proud to be dealing with my debt
    August GC £0/£300

• NickJW
    • By NickJW 18th Oct 10, 8:39 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    £1.25 spent on potatoes from the little Mr S near work - updated signature. Bit peeved that they didn't do any of the offers advertised online - seems that the people who shop at the 'big' stores are only worthy of having that privilege

Having some of the 97% meat content Debbie and Andrew sausages I bought from Mr T a few weeks ago...I LOVE sausage and mash, but can't abide the cheap spammy sausages. Served with broccoli on BOGOF from my Mr T shop as well.

I'm approaching the limit but I'm confident I will manage (or if not, be only SLIGHTLY over)
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
  • rosieben
    ... OR does it have to be Qu!ck Jel so it sets before making the sponge go all soggy? ...
    yes ordinary jelly takes too long to set so would just soak through the flan case. you could set the jelly in a dish, then chop it up quite small and spread it on the fruit, tell the family its rustic flan!

forgot to say that I used to make lemon meringue in a sponge flan case
    ... but I'm weird!
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Hippeechiq
    Having some of the 97% meat content Debbie and Andrew sausages I bought from Mr T a few weeks ago...I LOVE sausage and mash, but can't abide the cheap spammy sausages.
    Originally posted by NickJW
    You and me both Nick....cheapie sausages make me
    I buy a double pack of M & S 93% meat content Premium Sausages (16) for £3.50 which I think are a lovely sausage, though yours sound even nicer.

We had this for tea tonight. It's a new recipe for me, and it's only the 2nd time we've had it, but nom, nom The combination of the mustard and honey is just lush.

SAUSAGE & POTATO ROAST (serves 2)
    4 Medium/Large Baking Potatoes
    1 Tbs Oil
    5 Shallots, halved (or 3 small onions quartered length ways)
    4 Sausages
    1 Tbs Wholegrain Mustard
    1 Tbs Honey

Pre-heat oven - 200c
    Cut potatoes into wedges and place in boiling water.
    Bring back to the boil and boil for 2-3 minutes. Drain Well
    Put oil in roasting tin and heat in oven for 5(ish) minutes
    Toss potatoes wedges into the hot fat with the shallots/onions and season with salt and black pepper
    Roast for 15 minutes
    Remove tin from oven and add sausages and cook for a further 15 minutes, turning once
    Mix together mustard and honey and brush all over the potatoes, shallots/onions and sausages
    Return to oven for 10 minutes or until golden

I actually browned my sausages under the grill a bit before adding them to the tin, as anaemic looking sausages are something else I don't do, but that's personal preference. Next time I make it, I think I'll cook the sausages in the oven for 10-15 mins (so they're in for a total of 40 mins) before adding the potatoes and shallots/onions, so that they're a nice deep brown.

I also do another sausage recipe with wholegrain mustard, that also has chopped bacon, onion, tinned toms, vinegar, worcestershire sauce, chilli sauce/flakes, brown sugar and mixed beans and that's lush too, but slightly dearer to make

forgot to say that I used to make lemon meringue in a sponge flan case
    ... but I'm weird!
    Originally posted by rosieben
    Say whaaaaat?

Thanks for the suggestion on mashing up jelly and calling it rustic......what a useful term! I think I may apply that to a few other things I concoct that look less than perfect

Look like I'll have to use the Qu!ck Jel, but it's not going to make for a cheap dessert once you've added the fruit and the cost of the flan - or is that me just being a tight wad? lol
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
    • bex2002
    • By bex2002 18th Oct 10, 10:05 PM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 2,142 Thanks
    bex2002
    spent another 3.85 today, had to get some cans of drink for OH and some more lettuice to have with our cheap pasta bake.
    £27.76/£2018 in 2018
  • sofababe
    Small spend in the corner shop, £1.89 on some foil, baked beans and a tin of Ambrosia custard. My daughter's mother in law made loads of pies and crumbles and I've been given one of each!!! Very very delicious!!! And free!!!
    • savvyshe
    • By savvyshe 19th Oct 10, 6:25 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    savvyshe
    LannyLee and Franby64, We too love bacon at the weekends, just lately been buying cooking bacon from Nett# and both times it has been great, just rashers of lean bacon mixed in with some thicker pieces but most of it was just thinner rashers it was great for baking into quiches hotpot and just breakfasts. 1kg for £1.50 HTH
    M&S 2,200.00
    Barclaycard £3840.00
    • skilly
    • By skilly 19th Oct 10, 8:25 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly
    morning all,had to pay for 2 veggie boxes and 1 loaf of bread yesterday £36.20,i have also canceled this weeks box . will update sig in a bit ,i have been good so far been useing up stuff from freezer, i have to keep saying to my self i do not need any think from the shop !!!.
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue
    • LannyLee
    • By LannyLee 19th Oct 10, 9:07 AM
    • 184 Posts
    • 2,958 Thanks
    LannyLee
    LannyLee and Franby64, We too love bacon at the weekends, just lately been buying cooking bacon from Nett# and both times it has been great, just rashers of lean bacon mixed in with some thicker pieces but most of it was just thinner rashers it was great for baking into quiches hotpot and just breakfasts. 1kg for £1.50 HTH
    Originally posted by savvyshe
    thanks for that Savvyshe, but our Netto has closed down , but I suppose on the plus side it was replaced with a massive H&B, so not too bad!
  • adelight
    I think I'm going to be ~£5 over this month. I need more oats(39p) and will need to buy fruit/veg at the weekend(£5?) and also wanted to get a gamon joint(£2-3) while they're on offer everywhere.
    That's about as much as I spent in my 3-week september so it's improving but I still need to cut down some more. My main problem is meat, I'm eating it more than ever when I'd be happy having it 1-2 times a week. I also don't need to have a roast on a sunday, when I could have a monday roast with a chicken reduced to £1.

I had a reduced/whoopsies shop at budgens after work: eggs, stir fry veg, potatoes and a huge fresh sponge with jam & cream for 79p(for OH/flatmates but I did have a small slice with the cream wiped off and it was delicious).
    I've had one of the eggs and they're the best eggs I've ever tasted from a supermarket so now I'm contemplated buying them regularly... They're usually £1.99 for 6/9 but I could happily eat one of these boiled or poached with a few slices of toast, rather that having to scramble 2-3 with lots of seasoning etc like I do with cheap eggs. Hmm...
    Living cheap in central London
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 19th Oct 10, 10:29 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    You and me both Nick....cheapie sausages make me
    I buy a double pack of M & S 93% meat content Premium Sausages (16) for £3.50 which I think are a lovely sausage, though yours sound even nicer.
    Mmm - yours are cheaper and sound lovely. Funny that I never think about M+S Don't bother with the Debbie and Andrew Sausages - I wasn't impressed with them at all - I don't know if it's the flavour, or that there is TOO much meat in them, but they were very average. I only bought them because they were on offer in Mr T, but they are the same price as my Mr S taste the difference ones I usually buy, which are I think 95% meat content. These sausages tasted quite gristly but the Mr S sausages are LOVELY!

I wonder if they do those sausages you have in the train station M+S (the only one near me)...I'll pop in and have a look. Will also give that recipe a go since it's with things I always have in stock.

£1.50 spent on a bag of salad for lunches this week - updated signature.
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,528Posts Today

5,249Users online

Martin's Twitter